The purposes of this subcategory are to develop student skills in historical analysis and to increase student understanding of the past and its complexities. Students are encouraged to check the specific requirements for their major for this category.
Upon completion of the required credit hours in this subcategory, students will be able to:
- Explain concepts such as cause and effect, change over time, context, and contingency.
- Explain the varieties of historical evidence and assess their strengths and limitations.
- Analyze and interpret primary and secondary source material, distinguish between them, and place them in context.
- Evaluate multiple perspectives that emerge from differing narratives and sources.
- Follow and construct logical and coherent historical arguments.
- Articulate the relationship between the past and the present.