Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment
within Blackboard. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser they are unable to
print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. When an assessment
is started, students are locked into it until they submit it for grading. (Supports
Windows and Mac OS X 10.3.9+)
Extended Feature List:
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized.
- Assessments cannot be exited until submitted by users for grading (forced completion)
- Task switching or access to other applications is prevented
- Printing functions are disabled Print Screen and capturing functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to and from an assessment is prohibited
- Right-click menu options are disabled
- Source code for the HTML page cannot be viewed
- Screen capture, messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machine, and network monitoring applications are blocked from running
- The browser automatically starts at the login page for the institution's course management system
- URLs cannot be typed by the user
- External links don't compromise the "locked" testing environment
- Pages from the assessment aren't cached or stored in the browsers history listing
- Assessments that are set up for use with Respondus LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
Available Tutorials: Respondus LockDown Browser (PDF)
Respondus LockDown Browser Software Installer
For Windows users, the Respondus LockDown Browser installer program will be downloaded as the file LockDownSFX.exe. You must run this installer program to install Respondus LockDown Browser on the computer you are using. After installation, you can start the LockDown Browser by using the shortcut that appears on the desktop or via the Start menu (Start → Respondus → LockDown Browser).
For Macintosh users, a folder named LockDown Browser Install will be created on your desktop. In this folder is the installer program named Install Respondus LockDown Browser.pkg. You must run this installer program to install Respondus LockDown Browser on the computer you are using. After installation, you can start the LockDown Browser via the Applications folder (look for LockDown Browser).