Department heads and new faculty announced
Provost John Friedl announces these new appointments:
- Vic Bumphus will serve as Acting Head of the Department of Criminal Justice and Legal Assistant Studies during fall semester, while Helen Eigenberg is on sabbatical leave. His areas of interest include police accountability systems, proactive police strategies, family and crime, and criminal justice privatization.
- Matt Greenwell, UC Foundation Associate Professor, has been appointed Head of the Department of Art. He received the Graphic Design MFA from the University of Iowa.
- Following a year as acting Director of Nursing, UC Foundation Associate Professor Dr. Katherine (Kay) Lindgren has been named Director of Nursing. Lindgren has held various positions as a clinical nurse specialist, nurse manager, quality assurance, risk management, director of nursing and faculty at three universities. She holds membership in ANA, AACN, Sigma Theta Tau, and others. Lindgren is a drilling reservist in the United States Naval Reserve, holding the rank of captain in the Nurse Corp.
- Dr. Ed McMahon has also been named Director of Management, Industrial and Electrical Engineering following service as acting director. McMahon has been on the faculty at UTC for 20 years, and his areas of interest include areas of interest include engineering design, value management, and product development.
- Dr. Fouad Moughrabi has been appointed Head of the Department of Political Science, Public Administration, and Nonprofit Management. Since coming to UTC in 1969, his research has focused on American policy towards the Middle East, American public opinion and the Palestine question, the political beliefs of Palestinian-Americans, and peace initiatives in the Middle East.
- Dr. Verbie Prevost will serve as Acting Head of the Department of English, replacing David Garrison, who has resigned to accept a position at Georgetown University. Prevost holds the Katharine H. Pryor Professorship and she serves as Director of English Graduate Studies. She specializes in American literature, Southern literature, and women authors. She pursues research interests in these areas, and particularly on the work of Southern women novelists.
- Dr. Valerie Rutledge has been named Head of the Teacher Preparation Academy, after serving as acting director. Rutledge completed her undergraduate and graduate work at UTC. Prior to her faculty appointment at the University in 1995, Rutledge taught at Ooltewah High School and served as English and Foreign Language Department Chair. Rutledge is currently serving the fifth year of a nine-year appointment to the Tennessee State Board of Education.
The campus community welcomes the following new faculty:
Jooyong Ahn, assistant professor and Director of Orchestras, music
Dr. Debbie Archambeault, assistant professor, accounting
Michael Arnold, assistant professor and Assistant Coordinator of Nurse Anesthesia
Dr. Tanja Benton, assistant professor, psychology
Dr. Julie Buck, lecturer, psychology
Kimberly Carr, lecturer, criminal justice
Dr. Kay Cowan, assistant professor, Teacher Preparation Academy
Hongmei Deng, assistant professor, computer science
Dawn Ellis, lecturer, computer science
Mark. D. Fisher, lecturer, philosophy and religion
Angel Geoghagan, lecturer, criminal justice
Dr. Dolly Geragano, lecturer, Teacher Preparation Academy
Dr. Kristi A. Gibbs, lecturer, Graduate Studies Division
Dr. Mark Gillen, assistant professor, Graduate Studies Division
Dr. Melissa Gratias, psychology
Paul Guest, lecturer, English
Dr. Matthew Guy, assistant professor, English
Dr. Bryan A. Hampton, assistant professor, English
Kelli A. Hand, assistant professor, nursing
Dr. James A. Inman, assistant professor, English
Daron E. Janzen, Grote Fellow/assistant professor, chemistry
Jillian Klean, lecturer, theatre and speech
Dr. Deborah S. Kreiss, assistant professor, biology and environmental science
Dr. John V. Matthews, III, assistant professor, mathematics
Dr. Howard McLean, visiting scholar, chemistry
Sara McManus, lecturer, director, accounting and finance
Cheryl Newton, HECO
Dr. Dennis Pearson, assistant director, Center for Economic Education
Dr. Dennis Plaisted, assistant professor, philosophy and religion
Bradley R. Reynolds, lecturer, biology and environmental science
Dr. Brian Ribeiro, assistant professor, philosophy and religion
Stephanie Stokes-Eley, lecturer, theatre and speech
Dr. Gaye Stone, lecturer, HECO
Dr. Bonnie Warren, assistant professor, Teacher Preparation Academy