Industrial Engineering Students earn gold from IIE
The Industrial Engineering Student Chapter has garnered national recognition for the second consecutive year with the Gold Award from the Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE), honoring student achievement during the 2004-2005 academic year.
“It was a great year and IE students at UTC accomplished a lot. This national award is a great honor for UTC,” said Dr. Neslihan Alp, PE, UC Foundation Associate Professor who has served as the faculty advisor of the IIE Student Chapter since its inception in September, 2003.
Left to right are Eric Shrader, Willie Shannon (President),
Maria Martinez (Newsletter Editor), and Dr. Neslihan Alp
This active organization of students organized and executed many activities in the last year, including:
- Visits to high schools and community colleges to increase awareness about the Industrial Engineering major.
- Participation in the IIE Southeast Student Chapter Conference at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville (UTK).
- A "Lean Manufacturing" workshop for the UTC Engineering students.
- A joint meeting with the local IIE Chapter to give them more information about the Industrial Engineering major at UTC.
- An alumni dinner to bring the Industrial Engineering alumni together and show them the new College of Engineering and Computer Science building.
- Publication of two newsletters and distributed them to all chapter members, faculty, and alumni.
Along with UTC, the following student chapters at these institutions also received the Gold Award:
- Arizona State University
- California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- Instituto Tecnologico de San Luis Potosi
- Iowa State University
- ITESM - Sonora Norte
- Ohio State University
- Pennsylvania State University
- San Jose State University
- Tecnologico de Villahermosa
- Tennessee Technological University
- Texas A&M University
- Texas A&M University-Commerce
- Universidad de los Andes
- Universidad del Mayab
- Univ. Panamericana - Guadalajara
- University of California-Berkeley
- University of Florida
- University of Houston
- University of Iowa
- University of Oklahoma
- University of Texas at Arlington
- University of Texas at El Paso
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- West Virginia University
- Western New England College
For more information about the Industrial Engineering Student Chapter at UTC, visit the web page developed by the group.
November 10, 2005