Entrepreneurship Hall of Fame
Mayor Bob Corker, Edgar M. Jolley and Glenn H. Morris have been named the 2005 inductees to the UTC Entrepreneurship Hall of Fame.
In 1999, the College of Business at UTC created the Entrepreneurship Hall of Fame to honor the entrepreneurial heritage of Chattanooga with both contemporary and pioneering local entrepreneurs. The Hall serves as a lasting tribute to the inductees and as an inspiration to current students who may have aspirations of owning their own business.
Wall photos and bios of those inducted into the Entrepreneurship Hall of Fame are located on the third floor of Fletcher Hall, outside the Office of the Dean, room 300.
Bob Corker grew up in Chattanooga and graduated from UT in 1974. After working
four years as a construction superintendent he saved $8,000 and started his
own construction company that eventually did business in 18 states. In 1999,
he acquired Chattanooga’s two largest and most historic real estate companies.
In 2001, Corker was elected Mayor of Chattanooga. During his term, Corker raised Chattanooga's vision to new heights, leading the creation of the 21st Century Waterfront, establishing a strong business recruitment effort, recruiting venture capital firms to the city and facilitating the development of the 1,200 acre Enterprise South Industrial Park.
Edgar M. Jolley began his career in 1951 when he founded H. E. Collins Contracting Company with his father-in-law, Horace E. Collins. In 1969 he began EMJ Corporation, a company organized for the primary purpose of constructing shopping centers for a firm headed by Moses Lebovitz, Joel Solomon, and Charles Lebovitz, a company now known as CBL and Associates Properties.
EMJ has completed projects such as Covenant Transport Headquarters, U. S. Express Headquarters, the Natatorium at Baylor School, and the addition to the Hunter Museum of American Art.
Jolley retired from EMJ in 1994. He has served on the board of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Chattanooga. Jolley is a golf course rater for the Tennessee Golf Association, and a supporter of UTC athletics. He is a 1951 business graduate of the University of Chattanooga.
Glenn H. Morris, Sr.
In 1963 Glenn Morris realized that “you only go through this life once” and took the leap to begin packaging over-the-counter remedies under the name Progressive Drugs of America or PDA.
After learning of the need for a child-resistant bottle cap for prescription drugs, Morris worked to patent new designs on closures. Many of these designs are still used today. When no other company wanted to pay for his patents, Morris plunged into debt and began making and marketing the closures himself. He began M & M Plastics in 1973 and revolutionized the prescription vial market.In 1985 he began M & M Industries, a plastic company that manufactures Morris' patented Life Latch® containers for packaging of hazardous chemicals.
April 1, 2005