ThinkAchieve: Connecting the Classroom and the Community
Grants Awarded January-February 2015
- Andrew Bailey of Health and Human Performance was awarded $2,059 to support "Red Bank Watershed Day."
- Amy Doolittle of Social Work has been awarded a grant of $2,125.62 to help fund student travel to present at the National Council on Undergraduate Research (NCUR).
- Clint Schmitt of the Music Department was funded $1,400 to support "The Washington Saxophone Quartet Residency."
Grants Awarded November-December 2014
- Kathryn Hargrave and Matt Greenwell of Art was granted $2,051.10 to support her projected, "Social Sculpture/Social Portraiture."
- Andrew O'Brien of Art was awarded $1,869.46 to fund "Peer Led Instruction - Studio Lighting for Portfolio Development."
- Rebecca St. Goar of Music received a grant of $1,600.00 for "Student Support for National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) Regional Auditions."
Grants Awarded September, 2014
- James Arnett of English was awarded $2,000 to support his project, "The Transnational African Novel: Towards a Praxis."
- Dana Moody, Jessica Etheredge, and Catherine Kendall have received a grant of $2,000 to fund "Go-Pro Technology for Interior Design: Solutions for Chattanooga's Historic Buildings."
Grants Awarded August, 2014
- Amanda Clark and Amye Warren of Psychology were granted $2,930 to support “Enhancing Critical Thinking in Upper-Year Psychology Students.”
- April Ebbinger and JoAnn Cook of the School of Education were awarded $2,970 to study “Experiential Learning and its Effects on Critical thinking for Pre-Service Teachers.”
- Jeannie Hacker-Cerulean of Theatre and Speech was awarded $1,800 to fund “Cloud Atlas: Reader’s Theatre Technology Up-Grade.”
- Jenny Holcombe of Nursing was granted $3,866 to support her project, “Cross Sectional Study of Critical Thinking in Undergraduate Nursing Students.”
- Justin Pohl of the Dean of Students office and Cassie Nice of the Women’s Center were awarded $1,500 to help fund “Alternative Fall Break: A Civic Engagement Experience in Selma, Alabama.”
- Lauren Ruth of the Art Department received a grant of $2,100 to help support “Experiential Learning and Collaborative Curating at Elsewhere Museum.”
Grants Awarded February and March, 2014
- Ann Holmes of Physics, Geology, and Astronomy and Dawn M. Ford of Biological and Environmental Sciences were awarded a grant of $1,211.30 to support their project, "Study Abroad for Tropical Island Ecology and Geology: Development of Critical Thinking Skills."
- Cassandra Nice of the Women's Center and Sheena Monds of English received a grant of $700 to help support the "Women's Leadership Academy."
- Christina Vogel of the Art Department was funded $1,078 to fund her project "Experiential Learning: A Student-Driven Group Drawing Exhibition at AVA.
Grants Awarded November and December 2013; January 2014
- Andrew Bailey of Health and Human Performance received a grant of $1,500 to fund his project “Challenge Course Construction and Training.”
- April Ebbinger of Education and Robin Pearlstein of Nursing received a grant of $1,500 to fund their collaborative project “Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians Internship.”
- Trevor Elliott, Ed McMahon, and Jan Evans of the College of Engineering were funded $1,500 to help support "Integration of 3D Prototyping into Core Engineering Curriculum."
- Greg Heath of Health and Human Performance/Research and Engagement was awarded $1,500 for a course-based project called “Physical Activity Epidemiology Field Research and Service Learning Project.”
- Rebecca Jones of English received a grant of $1,500 to fund her project "Travel Funding for Public Argument Class."
- Justin Pohl of Student Development was funded $1,500 to support “Alternative Winter Break.”
- Heather Small of the Music Department was funded $656 for her project, “Flute Spa with Patricia George.”
- Talia Welsh of Philosophy and Religion was awarded $1,032 to support her project, "Teaching and Learning Philosophy in Prison."
Grants Awarded September, 2013
- Jonathan McNair & Ron Buffington (Music and Art Departments) - $1,500.00 Beyond the Classroom grant, “Read Between the Lines, Think Outside them: Thollem McDonas in Residency.”
- John Swanson & Lisa Darger (History Department and Facilities Planning & Management) - $1,500 Beyond the Classroom grant, “Engel Stadium Oral History Project.”
- Roger Thompson & Vic Bumphus (Criminal Justice Department) - $750 Beyond the Classroom grant, “The Tarnished Badge.”
- Augusta Toppins (Art Department) - $1,000.00 Beyond the Classroom grant, “Co-Creation: A Collaborate Design Project to Promote Bicycling in Chattanooga.”
Grants Awarded August, 2013
- Jennifer Boyd (Biological and Environmental Sciences) - $1,470.00 Beyond the Classroom grant, “Experiential Student Research to Support the Federal Protection of a Rare and Locally Endemic Orchid Species.”
- Bryan Ennis & Abdul Ofoli (Civil and Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering) - $1,500.00 Beyond the Classroom grant, “ENGR 3280L and NI Academy Control Lab Project.”
- Nicole Tekulve & Jaime Myers (Library) - $692.05 In the Classroom grant, “The Game of Research.”
Grants Awarded February, March, and April, 2013
- Carrie Meadows (English) - $800 Beyond the Classroom grant, "Community Grant Proposal Project: Focus on Diversity at UTC." See more about her project here.
- Ralph Covino and Dylan Bloy (History) - $500 In the Classroom grant, "Classical Archaeology."
- Jeannie Hacker-Cerulean (Theatre and Speech) - $1000 In the Classroom grant, "Advocacy Project for UTC Campus Organization."
Grants Awarded January 2013
- Andrew Bailey and Gary Liguori (Health and Human Performance) - $1,495 Beyond the Classroom grant, “Outdoor Leadership Training.”
- Debbie Bell (UHON) - $1,500 Beyond the Classroom grant, “Development of Civic Engagement Program for Honors Freshmen.”
- Madonna Kemp (English) - $1,370 Beyond the Classroom grant, “Mad Vocab Art.”
Grants Awarded November and December 2012
- Kevin Ford (Music) - $1,500 Beyond the Classroom grant to support the UTC Chamber Singers study tour of Prague, Vienna, Eisenstadt, and Budapest.
- Jenny Holcombe (Nursing) - $1,000 In the Classroom grant to support using a journal club-type approach to classroom instruction for undergraduate nursing students.
- Grants Awarded October 2012
- Tricia Thomas & Lisa R. Darger (Chemical Engineering and Facilities Planning/Management) - $970 In the Classroom grant to fund active learning projects in ENCH 3350 and ENGR 2220 in partnership with Facilities Planning and Management.
Grants Awarded September 2012
- Carrie Meadows (English) - $1,300 Beyond the Classroom grant for a community grant proposal project to be integrated into English 2880, Professional Writing.
- Kim Wingate & Caryl Taylor (School of Education) - $1,376 Beyond the Classroom grant for a project to enhance critical thinking through an Early Childhood Special Education field experience.
- Sarah Boykin & Jessica Etheredge (Interior Design) - $978 In the Classroom grant to develop video presentation for Interior Design projects.
- Roger Thompson (Criminal Justice) - $1,500 Beyond the Classroom grant to bring in a speaker on immigration policy reform for Senior Seminar students and the campus community.
Grants Awarded June - August 2012
- Stefanie deOlloqui & Steve Underwood (Health and Human Performance) - $1,500 Beyond the Classroom grant to fund interns for the promotion of a bicycle transit system
- Bradley Reynolds & Thomas Wilson (Biological and Environmental Sciences) - $1,422 Beyond the Classroom grant for a project to build a conservation ethic in non-science majors through hands-on herpetology.
- Sarah Sloan & Stefanie deOlloqui (Health and Human Performance) - $1500 Beyond the Classroom grant to develop a partnership between HHP and the Partnership for Families, Children, and Adults. To view the grant presentation, click here.
- Catherine Smith & Rebecca Littleton (Physical Therapy) - $1,496.00 Beyond the Classroom grant to support UTC students to be involved in an outdoor camping experience for children with disabilities.
- Victoria Steinberg (Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures) - $666 Beyond the Classroom grant to support UTC students to teach French language and culture at Rivermont Elementary School.
- Amye Warren (Psychology)- $916 In the Classroom grant to support a project to improve critical thinking skills in graduate teaching assistants and their students.
Grants Awarded May 2012
- Leroy Fanning & Philip Pugliese (Health and Human Performance) - $1,000 In the Classroom grant for development of a new special topic course, Active Living and Transportation, with an emphasis on interactive teaching methods.
- Leroy Fanning & Stefanie deOlloqui (Health and Human Performance) - $1,500 Beyond the Classroom grant for the development of a replicable model to strengthen the relationship between community-based health-related organizations like the YMCA and academic preparation programs.
- Rebecca Jones (English) - $657 Beyond the Classroom grant to provide experiential activities for students taking the travel/nature writing course.
- Darrell Meece (Education) - $1,000 In the Classroom grant to develop and implement an open-source child development text using student input through a wiki.