How to Apply
**PLEASE NOTE: Organizations need to submit requests for funding at least 1-2 weeks before the actual date of their program/event to allow time for payment processing, if your funding request is approved.**
- Submit the SPAC Request Form via OrgSync.
- All submissions must be received a minimum of 1 week prior to the next committee meeting. Committee Meetings are held every other Tuesday at 1 pm. Any applications submitted after 11:59pm the Tuesday prior will be discussed at the next scheduled meeting. Click here for meeting schedule & deadlines.
- SPAC Chair will review applications for completion and share the materials with committee members for initial review. If an application is determined to have insufficient information, it will be reopened to allow the applicant time to make revision and resubmit the request for the following SPAC meeting.
- The Committee will meet and review all completed applications. Applications will be approved or denied and a total dollar commitment will be assigned.
- All approvals will require at least 2/3 vote of approval, with at least more than half of the SPAC members present being UTC Staff.
- SPAC Chair will communicate with applicants on the committee's decision and advise any approved groups on the processes for spending, reimbursement and other fiscal processes.
- Approved organizations have 2 weeks following the date of the program to submit the follow-up report. Organizations who do not submit a follow-up report will be ineligible for future funding for the remainder of the current academic year.
REMINDER! Only registered, good-standing student organizations are eligible for SPAC funding. Click here to update or register in OrgSync.
Applications for SPAC Funding will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Applicant is a registered student organization recognized by the university
- Application was received within SPAC Review Timeline
- Location (Is the event on or off campus?)
- Accessibility (Does this event/program meet ADA and other accessibility concerns?)
- SPSF Fee Accordance (Is there an entrance fee or requirement?)
- Duplication (Is this program a duplication of another event/program held this academic year?)
- Budget (Fiscally responsible budgeting, used in accordance with SPSF guidelines)
- Program reinforces mission of student organization
- Program supports the University's educational mission
- Longevity (Is this a sustainable program?)
- Safety & Risk Management (Is this event/program in compliance with the University Code of Conduct and presents little to no safety risk to participants?)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: How far in advance must I request SPAC funds for my organization?
A: At least 1 week prior to the committee meeting. However, you may request as early as you'd like in the current semester. We cannot guarantee funds for programs for the upcoming semester until enrollment is verified.
Q: What is the total budget available to student organizations?
A: Every year will depend on UTC enrollment numbers and the number of students who have opted-in.
Q: Is there a limit to the number of times I may request funds, or the total dollar amount requested?
A: There is not a limit, but the total SPAC budget, amount requested and previous requests will be taken into consideration.
Q: Can I commit funds or spend money and then ask SPAC for reimbursement?
A: No. Reimbursement requests WILL NOT be accepted. All spending must have prior approval from SPAC. We encourage you to do your best research early and receive estimates or quotes as often as possible though.
Q: I'm not familiar with Aramark/UTC Dining or ordering through a third-party vendor. Can you help?
A: Visit our Resources for Student Organizations page for more details.
Q: What is eligible for SPAC funding?
A: All SPAC programs must follow University Fiscal Policy. Sample programs and expenditures may include, but are not limited to:
- On-Campus Food for Events/Meetings through UTC Dining
- Off-Campus Food for Events/Meetings
- Rental Fees
- Performer/Speaker Fees
- Promotional Items through a Third Party Vendor
- Graphics/Publicity through UTC Graphic Services/RICOH.
Click HERE for a list of programs that have been sponsored in the past.
Q: Where can I find guidelines on University Fiscal Policy?
A: All University of Tennessee System Fiscal Policies can be found at: http://policy.tennessee.edu/fiscal_policy/
- Commonly Applicable Fiscal Policies to SPAC Requests include, but are not guaranteed to cover: