Students typically apply for formal admission to the STEM Education Program after successfully completing the first two pedagogy courses (Step 1 and Step 2) or near the end of Step 2. Students must have completed all admission requirements prior to the first day of class in Knowing and Learning (STEM 2010). Once a student has been admitted, STEM Education advisers and faculty will review candidates’ progress through the program via the checkpoints and offer guidance in terms of needed courses.
Requirements for Admission to STEM Education
For candidates beginning STEM courses as Freshmen and Sophomores:
- Evidence of successful clearance of fingerprinting/background check for public schools.
- Pass timed (one hour) entrance essay exam. (Note, the Essay must be completed at least one day prior to the scheduled interview. To sign up for times, please see Linda Gehron in Rm #114.)*
- Successful completion of Step 1 and Step 2, or the combination Step 1/Step 2 course with a grade of at least C.
- Enrollment in Knowing and Learning (STEM 2010).
- ACT composite test score of 22 or above on the Enhanced ACT or a combined verbal and
mathematics score of 1020 or above on the Recentered SAT.
- Residual ACT test
- This test is offered through the Testing office at UTC on a weekly basis. Preregistration is required
- Residual ACT test
- If you do not meet the ACT requirement above, you must pass the Praxis I Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST).
- You will register for the computer-delivered Praxis I: Combined Pre-Professional Skills Test. The test is offered sporadically and dates fill up quickly, so please schedule your test date early to ensure you meet the deadline. The test appointment is 4.5 hours. Approximately two weeks after you take the test, your scores will be available electronically to you as a PDF document. You must email the STEM Education Advisor a copy of this PDF to meet the Praxis requirement.
- IMPORTANT: Scores are only available up 30 days after your test date before there is an access fee. Having scores reported to UTC does not report scores to STEM Education.
- 2.5 GPA (UTC and cumulative).
- Adequate progress toward a mathematics or science primary major as evaluated by an STEM Education advisor.
- Completion and submission of the STEM Education Application Form.
- Successful STEM Education Interview. (Information on sign-up process and times will be posted mid-semester)
- Current Resume. (Contact the Career and Student Employment Center for a guide on creating a great resume from Placement and Student Employment!)
For candidates beginning STEM coursework as Juniors, Seniors or post-baccalaureate:
Please discuss your program of study with the STEM Education Advisor, or one of the program co-directors.
*The Entrance Essay exam MUST be completed at least one day prior to the scheduled interview. To sign up for times, please see Linda Gerhon in Rm #114.