Fingerprinting Procedures for Students and Faculty
UTeaChattanooga recognizes its ethical obligation to the children, youth, and adults in our cooperating fieldwork locations, therefore we require compliance with the State of Tennessee’s ruling that all students working with PreK-12 students undergo a fingerprint-based background check. Results from this background check must be received by the UTeaChattanooga Program before students are allowed to proceed with any field experiences (including those required in Step 1 and Step 2) in the PreK-12 setting. Please follow the steps as outlined below:
- Prior to being fingerprinted sign a University of Tennessee Release Form.
- Register online with COGENT SYSTEMS. Do this by going to the following website: http://www.cogentid.com, click on TN TAPS and then click on “Register Online.” Fill out the yellow sections. When entering the ORI number, hit tab (not enter) to access the drop down box for transaction type. If you register on-line, make sure to print out your confirmation letter to take to the fingerprinting site. If you choose to register by phone (1-877-862-2425), you will be given a confirmation number that you will need to take to the fingerprinting site.
- Provide your personal identification information (see back of page).
- Payment is determined at registration. You may pay by credit or debit card, or you may take a money order made out to Cogent Systems to the fingerprinting site.
- Allow at least 24-36 hours after calling COGENT before you go to UPS to be printed. Otherwise, you may be told your profile is not in their system and you will have to make a second trip to be printed. Appointments are not available, so please be sure your schedule is flexible as you may have to wait in line. TAKE A VALID PHOTO ID WITH YOU WHEN YOU GO TO BE PRINTED.
- After being fingerprinted, write down your transaction number and bring THIS NUMBER AND YOUR RECEIPT to Jennifer Faires in the UTeaChattanooga office in the Collins Street Annex Office Building. Your transaction number will be placed into a tracking database. Your tracking number should be 16 digits and look similar to this sample number: TNE0000000000000. DO NOT FORGET YOUR TRANSACTION NUMBER!! IT IS YOUR ONLY PROOF OF FINGERPRINTING.
Effective March 19, 2012, the revised fee schedule will be as follows:
|SERVICE||CURRENT FEE||REVISED FEE|
|Electronic Submission (TBI/FBI)||$48||$42|
Please be prepared to provide the following personal identification information at the UPS fingerprinting location:
- Legal name, birthdate, birthplace, gender, race, eye/hair color, height/weight
- Social security number
- Country of citizenship
- Phone and address
- Transaction type: DP
- Agency ORI: TNCC33079
- Payment to be made by: Applicant
- Employer name and address:
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 McCallie Ave.
Chattanooga, TN 37403
Attn: Dr. Sandy Watson, UTeaChattanooga,