Students typically apply for formal admission to the STEM Education Program after successfully completing the first pedagogy course (STEM 1030). Students must have completed all admission requirements prior to the first day of class in Knowing and Learning (STEM 2010). Once a student has been admitted, STEM Education advisers and faculty will review candidates’ progress through the program via the checkpoints and offer guidance in terms of needed courses.
Requirements for Admission to STEM Education
For candidates beginning the program:
- Evidence of successful clearance of fingerprinting/background check for public schools.
- Pass timed (one hour) entrance essay exam. (Note, the Essay must be completed at least one day prior to the scheduled interview. To sign up for times, please email Dr. Jennifer Ellis
- Successful completion of Step 1 and Step 2, or the combination Step 1/Step 2 course with a grade of at least C.
- Enrollment in Knowing and Learning (STEM 2010).
- ACT composite test score of 22 or above on the Enhanced ACT or a combined verbal and mathematics score of 1020 or above on the Recentered SAT.
- If you do not meet the ACT requirement above, you must pass the Praxis I Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST).
- IMPORTANT: Scores are only available up 30 days after your test date before there is an access fee. Having scores reported to UTC does not report scores to STEM Education.
- 2.5 GPA (UTC and cumulative).
- Adequate progress toward a mathematics or science primary major as evaluated by an STEM Education advisor.
- Completion and submission of the STEM Education Application Form.
- Successful STEM Education Interview. (Information on sign-up process and times will be posted mid-semester)
- Current Resume. (Contact the Career and Student Employment Center for a guide on creating a great resume from Placement and Student Employment!)
Admission to STEM Education for Post-baccalaureate students
Students wishing to pursue a post-baccalaureate certificate and secondary teacher licensure in mathematics or science through the STEM Education program must:
- Have an undergraduate or graduate degree with a major, or equivalent, in one of the following content areas: Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, or Computer Science.
- Be formally admitted to UTC.
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5 overall and in the major courses. All undergraduate and graduate course work is considered when determining the GPA's.
- Submit a Post-Baccalaureate Curriculum Review Request (available on the STEM Education website, www.utc.edu/STEM Education) and have an official copy of his/her undergraduate and graduate
- Have an ACT composite score of 22 or better or a score of 1020 or better on the SAT. If the undergraduate applicant's ACT or SAT score is below 22 or 1020 respectively, the applicant must take the Praxis 1 exam. Post-baccalaureate students who are enrolled with the Graduate School MUST take the MAT (minimum score of 372) or the GRE (minimum 900/4.0 (writing)) instead.
- Complete the background check authorization form.
- Complete the background check through L-1 Identity Solutions.
- Formally apply to STEM Education (undergraduates do not apply until after completing Step Two, graduate students must formally apply BEFORE starting Step One).
- Successfully complete an essay entrance requirement.
- Perform satisfactorily in an interview with STEM Education Co-Directors.
- Provide an accurate email address for two people selected from Academic Advisors, Professor in Major Field, or Internship Supervisor (internship related to major field) to complete a Disposition Assessment online.