You will be assigned a departmental advisor once you declare a major.  Your advisor is listed on your MyMocs sheet.  If you do not have one listed or do not know who  your advisor is, contact the main office (423) 425-4411. 

It is important that you consult with your advisor on a regular basis.  For especially "tricky" problems, including transfer issues, petitions, and graduation queries, make sure that you consult your advisor.

General guidelines and answers to commonly asked questions are summarized in this section. 

 Frequently asked questions:



What can I expect from my advisor?

The academic advisor serves as the coordinator of your educational experience. In that role, the advisor can help you clarify your goals, explore career options, plan an educational program, and outline the schedule of classes needed to meet the requirements of your program. Also, the advisor monitors and evaluates your progress and attempts to match your needs with UTC's available resources. In order for your advisor to be of assistance to you, you must clearly and consistently convey your intentions and academic-related actions to your advisor. You should also be familiar with course descriptions and titles as well as the prerequisites for various classes. Your advisor is just that - an advisor. You are responsible for making informed choices and for registering for courses.  A few days before registration is NOT the best time to meet with your advisor because so many students, especially new ones, are seeking time and assistance. To maximize the effectiveness of your advisor, plan ahead (which includes remembering to check -- and use -- the specific office hours that are established by your professor each semester).


How do I know what courses to take?

Sign in to your MyMocs net on the UTC home page.  Once you are logged on, click on the Academics tab.  Then click on the link to MyMocsDegree link.  You will enter your student ID and click view. Requirements that are met show with a green check mark.   Courses and requirements that are in progress will display a curvy blue box (~).  A red box indicates that requirements have still not been met. The overall number of hours listed at the top does NOT include the hours that you are currently taking. 


At the top of the MyMocs Degree you will see a FAQ and Help button. The help button will take you to a Power Point that gives you a comprehensive overview of how your MyMocsDegree works. 


You should be aware that occasionally, errors present themselves on your MyMocs.  If you think there is a problem, talk to your advisor who can check things out for you. 


How do I register and/or drop or add a class?

You must meet with your advisor and get your PIN number to register.  Registration is done completely online.  Here you will find a lot of information about the registration process.  


Dropping a class does not require the signature of your advisor, but you may overlooking a degree requirement so be sure that this will not affect your degree plan and/or consult with your advisor before changing your schedule.


What do differences in course numbers mean?

Courses are numbered from 1000 to the 4000 level. Course number on the 1000 level generally are geared towards freshmen students and are intended to provide an overview of the course material and to introduce the related vocabulary. Course levels numbered 2000 and 3000 are more specific in content, while 4000-level courses integrate the vocabulary and concepts and introduce the applications of information learned at the earlier levels. As course numbers ascend, professors assume that your knowledge and experience will allow you to handle increasingly self-directed courses of study therefore more autonomous study is usually required at the higher levels.

What Catalog do I use in determining degree requirements?

Most Sociology and Anthropology majors should be in the 2011 or later catalog.  There were some major changes in the curriculum that make it advantageous for you to change catalogue years.  

What courses should I take first? 

Students in the Sociology concentration should take SOC 1510: Introduction to Sociology and either ANTH 1520: Physical Anthropology or ANTH 2080: Cultural Anthropology in their first year. In addition, students in the Sociology concentration are encouraged to take SOC 2500: Social Statistics relatively early in the major. Students in the Anthropology concentration should take ANTH 1200: Mysteries of the Human Journey followed by either ANTH 1300: Language, Culture and Society or ANTH 1400: Archaeology. 


Consult the University Catalog and the pages that describe the major (indexed under the College of Arts and Sciences) to see a showcase or suggested plan of study for both majors. We have also included on this webpage a Clear-Path 4 year schedule to guide you in choosing your courses. (You will see this information if you go to the navigation button on the left that says "Sociology and Anthropology Degree".)

Can work experience within the field be used to meet degree requirements? 

Yes. Individuals who have not earned a baccalaureate degree may be eligible to receive credit for work experience, in-service training and certified professional programs.  There are restrictions on how these credits can be used toward your degree requirements so be sure to talk to your advisor about this process.  You can also e-mail Dr. Hugh Prevost who coordinates this process.

Do I have to have a minor? 

The B.A. degree for both the Sociology and Anthropology concentrations requires that students have a minor AND 2 years of a foreign language. Although we do not require it, we do encourage students pursuing the B.S. degree for both concentrations to choose a minor. Popular minors that work well with our majors are:  English, Communication, Criminal Justice, Political Science, Psychology, Women's Studies and Africana Studies. 

What performance level (grade) must be achieved for the course to count toward my degree program? 

Students must earn a grade of "C" or better in all Sociology and Anthropology courses.  If you get a D in any of these courses you must repeat the course and earn at least a grade of "C."  Information about calculating your GPA is available on the Records webpage.

What can I do if I do poorly in a course? 

You may repeat a course and replace the grade. UTC allows a student a total of three grade replacements for grades of "C" and lower.  See this link for more information

Do I have to take an Internship? 

Internships are a rewarding way for students to get experience in the field.  Sociology and Anthropology majors do not have to take an internship, but they are  are highly recommended. The internship is an elective course(s). It is available for 3 or 6 credit hours. Before making a decision about this option you must consult with the internship coordinator, Dr. Ashmore. 

Can I take courses in the evening? 

Sociology and Anthropology courses are offered both in the day and at night.  In general, it may be difficult to get core required courses completed if you cannot take some daytime coursework due to staffing shortages.  The menu of classes to choose from will necessarily be smaller during evening hours but you can complete the major if you are able to take the majority of required courses during the daytime.  If you have exceptional circumstances that will not allow you to take required courses during the day, contact Dr. Ashmore.  

Do all courses taken from other colleges and universities transfer to UTC? 

The answer to this question is usually yes -- if the educational institution is accredited and if you received a passing grade or a grade of "C" or better in your major concentration. Some courses may count as elective credit though rather than direct equivalencies toward your major.

What happens if I think I have already taken the same course at another institution but UTC has not given me credit for an equivalent course? 

Admissions does their best to determine course equivalencies; however, what is available for review is often quite limited. If you think you have taken a course that is the same as a UTC course, consult with your advisor.

What do I need to do during my senior year for graduation?

The student is responsible for applying for a degree with the The Records Office.  Graduation application dates are listed on their webpage.