Program Application Information
The Social Work Program has a formal application process which students must complete prior to registering for any 3000 level SOCW courses. Students are considered pre-social work majors prior to being formally accepted into the program. The process is as follows:
- Students must apply to UTC and be accepted in good standing; thus they must have a valid UTCID number.
- Complete the application process to the UTC BSW Social Work Program available on the program website.
- Submit a Personal Narrative and two professional references (i.e., instructor, mentor, supervisor, social work professional)
- Have a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.50 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Have a social work major Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.50 or higher on a 4.0 scale in all pre-Social Work courses (SOCW 1100 and SOCW 2070 or THSP 1090).
- Complete the following cognate courses with a passing grade: POLS 1010, PSY 1010, and ANTH 1200 or ECON 1010 or ECON 1020.
After faculty have reviewed applications, students are notified in writing of their acceptance status in the Social Work Program. There are two levels of acceptance:
- Full Acceptance: student has met the above minimum requirements and is accepted into the Social Work Program in good standing.
- Conditional Acceptance: the student has not met at least one of the admission requirements stated above and is accepted into the program on conditional status. The student and faculty then develop a plan of correction addressing the unmet areas and the student has the semester immediately following the admission interview to address the unmet admission requirement(s). If, at the end of the semester, the admission requirements are not satisfied, the student must completely reapply to the Social Work Program.
Continuation Standards for Social Work Majors
The nature of the social work profession requires the following program continuation standards:
- Achieve a grade of “C” or higher in all SOCW courses
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.00
- Maintain a social work major Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.50 or higher on a 4.0 point scale in all foundation SOCW courses
Students who fail any 3000 or 4000 level SOCW course may repeat the failed course(s) as stated in the University 2014-2015 Catalog. See statement below:
*Provided prerequisites are met, students may replace a total of three grades of C or lower. The first five grades in one or more subjects may be replaced; the total number of replaced grades cannot exceed five. Developmental studies courses (institutional credit) will be included in the grade replacement limit, but grades of S, NC, and W will not count in the allotted number of replacement grades.”