Teachers HELP (Helping English Language Proficiency)
School of Education College of Health, Education and Professional Studies University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Through a grant from the U.S. Department of Education, Teachers HELP assists professionals in obtaining the English Learner endorsement through coursework, mentoring and coaching. Financial assistance for up to 12 hours (preservice participants) and 9 hours (inservice participants) will be provided.
To apply for participation in Teachers HELP:
- Complete the Teachers HELP application.
- Provide documentation of grade of A or B in two of the courses below (excluding Summer Academy coursework).
Course Requirements for Tennessee ESL Endorsement:
- EDUC 3210 Teaching of Reading in the Secondary School (3)
- EDUC 3230 Teaching Reading (3)
- EDUC 4200 Emergent Literacy (3)
- EDUC 5610 Emergent Literacy (3)
- EDUC 5620 Literacy Instruction for Elementary School Learners (3)
- EDUC 5630 Literacy Instruction for Middle/High School Learners (3)
- EDUC 4999R/5940Linguistics for ESL Educators (3)
- ENGL 4650 History of the English Language (3)
- ENGL 3820 Modern English Grammar (3)
An approved diversity course, such as:
- ANTH 2080 - Cultural Anthropology (3),
- REL 2110 – Religions of the East (3),
- GEOG 1030 – World Geography (3),
- ANTH 2100 - Anthropological Linguistics (3),
- EDUC 5130 - Perspectives on Multiculturalism and Diversity (3),
- EDUC 5140 -Teaching in Diverse Classrooms (3)
- EDUC 4580/5920 Readings and History: Teaching English as a Second Language (3)
- EDUC 4590/5930 Strategies and Methods of Teaching English as a Second Language (3)
Additional Requirements for Licensure:
- Minimum 9 hours at UTC
- Minimum GPA of 2.5 on coursework above
- Minimum score of 143 on Praxis II Test #0361
NOTE: It is your responsibility to get the appropriate paperwork to the Certification Officer to add the endorsement.