HOPE Scholarship Eligibility
The HOPE Scholarship, also known as the Lottery Scholarship, is funded by the Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship Program. To receive HOPE funding, students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. The deadline for fall semester HOPE awards is September 1 of each academic year.
Students must meet the following requirements:
- Entering freshmen must have a minimum of a 21 ACT (980 SAT), exclusive of the essay and optional subject area battery tests OR
- Overall weighted minimum 3.0 grade point average (GPA) – This means a grade point average on a 4.0 scale calculated with additional internal quality points awarded for advanced placement, honors, or other similar courses according to the Uniform Grading Policy adopted by the State Board of Education.
- Home School graduates – be enrolled as a home school student in a home school program for a minimum of one (1) year prior to graduating; minimum 21 ACT (980 SAT), exclusive of the essay and optional subject area battery tests
- GED Applicants – minimum 21 ACT (980 SAT), exclusive of the essay and optional subject area battery tests and qualifying GED ® score. Minimum GED ® score will be determined by the Tennessee General Assembly during the 2015 legislative session
- If a student ceases to be eligible for HOPE, except for the General Assembly Merit Scholarship (GAMS), the student may regain HOPE one-time only.
- ACT/SAT exams must be taken prior to the first day of college enrollment.
*Important note about Knox County, Williamson County, and Memphis City Schools: Please be aware that if you have graduated from one of these high schools, your cumulative final high school GPA could be different than your TN Lottery Scholarship GPA. For HOPE purposes, your eligibility depends upon the TN Lottery Scholarship GPA listed on your final transcript.
Transfer students are largely self-identifying. You must identify with the UTC Scholarship Office as a Transfer Student AND HOPE Scholarship recipient. You must also make certain your final transcripts (college AND high school) get to UTC. You must confirm your school of choice with the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAC) is UTC. To confirm your school of choice, you must follow the instructions below.
To change your school of choice to UTC you must create a profile on the TSAC Student Financial Aid Portal. Through this portal you will be able to create a profile and change your school code to UTC. PLEASE NOTE: Changing the school information on your FAFSA will NOT change your school with TSAC. It is essential you go through this portal.
Please be aware that Transfer student reviews for HOPE could take between 2 to 3 weeks.