Responsibilities of Department/Unit
Per University of Tennessee System-Wide Policies on Safety & Health, it is the responsibility of each department or unit to support or enforce the policies and procedures contained in the UTC Health and Safety Policies, the Personnel Policies and Procedures Manual and any other applicable safety and health rules and regulations.
UTC Deans, Directors, and Department Heads are responsible for
- Ensuring employees are aware of all applicable safety and health rules and regulations.
- Training their employees and documenting training in the following areas (if applicable):
- Hazard Communication / Right-To-Know
- Chemical Hygiene Plan
- Infectious Disease Control Plan / Blood borne Pathogen
- Energy Control / Lockout-Tag out
- Confined Space Entry
- Any other safety and health plan or procedures applicable to their area
- Departments using hazardous materials, the maintenance of a hazardous materials inventory, which is to be updated annually and forwarded to the Department of Safety and Risk Management.
- Departments using hazardous materials, the maintenance of Material Safety Data Sheet for each hazardous material used. These MSDSs will be maintained in a central location, accessible to all employees.
- Establishing and implementing operational procedures for safety and health on a departmental level as needed or required.