Jonathan Yeager earned a MCS (Master of Christian Studies) and a ThM from Regent College in Vancouver, Canada, and a PhD in (religious) history from the University of Stirling in Scotland. Dr. Yeager is a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society. After graduating from Taylor University in 1998 with a BA in business administration, Dr. Yeager worked as a financial consultant with two brokerage firms in Florida before resigning in 2004 in order to pursue graduate studies. His research interest is in eighteenth-century British and American religious history and thought, especially the history of evangelicalism. His first book, Enlightened Evangelicalism: The Life and Thought of John Erskine (Oxford University Press, 2011), was a finalist for the Scottish History Book of the Year. His articles on religious history and thought have appeared in Books & Culture, Evangelical Quarterly, the Journal of Religious History, Printing History, Records of the Scottish History Society, and the Scottish Journal of Theology. Dr. Yeager recently edited an eighteenth-century anthology entitled, Early Evangelicalism: A Reader that was published by Oxford University Press in August, 2013.
- Enlightened Evangelicalism: The Life and Thought of John Erskine (Oxford University Press, 2011).
- Early Evangelicalism: A Reader (Oxford University Press, 2013)
Journal Articles and Essays
“Nature and Grace in the Theology of John Maclaurin,” Scottish Journal of Theology 65:4 (2012): 435-448.
- “Samuel Kneeland of Boston: Colonial Bookseller, Printer, and Publisher of Religion,” Printing History 11 (2012): 35-61
- “John Wesley’s Conflict with James Hervey and Its Effects in Scotland,” Journal of Religious History 34 (2010), 398-413.
- “Puritan or Enlightened? John Erskine and the Transition of Scottish Evangelical Theology,” Evangelical Quarterly 80 (2008): 237-53.
- “John Erskine (1721-1803): A Scottish Evangelical Minister,” Records of the Scottish Church History Society, 38 (2008): 23-44.
- “The Letters of John Erskine to the Rylands,” Eusebeia: The Journal of the Andrew Fuller Center for Baptist Studies 9 (2008), 183-95.
- “The John Erskine Letterbook, 1742-45,” in Miscellany of the Scottish History Society, General Ed. Ulrike Hogg, vol. 14 (Edinburgh: Scottish History Society, 2013), 229-62.
- "Sarah Osborn's World: An In-Depth View of Early American Evangelicalism," Books & Culture (December, 2012).
- "Phillis Wheatley: Biography of a Genius in Bondage," Books & Culture (August, 2012).
- "An Unpublished Letter from John Erskine to Jonathan Edwards, "Jonathan Edwards Studies 3 (2013): 169-72.