Welcome to the Admissions Page for the UTC Occupational Therapy Program
The application cycle for Fall 2014 is now closed.
Our program accepts 24 students per academic year. Due to the sequential nature of the curriculum, matriculation to the OTD degree program occurs FALL SEMESTER ONLY. We will begin to review applications in February 2014 for Fall 2014 admissions. The OTD program admits students for one admission cycle only. Applicants who request deferred admission must reapply and complete with the new applicant pool.
The admissions committee considers the following requirements essential in determining a candidate’s potential for success in the program. To be considered for acceptance into the OTD program, a candidate must:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum 3.0 undergraduate grade point average (GPA). Degrees in progress will be considered. Official college transcripts are required. Degrees from foreign institutions must be independently evaluated for equivalence to the U.S. baccalaureate, including determination of a U.S. converted.
- Applicants must complete a UTC Graduate School Application after notification of acceptance.
- Submit the official results of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), general test, within the past 5 years, which demonstrates a minimum mean percentile of 50% on the verbal and quantitative reasoning sections (or a combined score of 300). A minimum of 3.5 is required on the analytical writing measure. All three areas must be completed. It is essential that the applicant determine the appropriate time to take the GRE so that the official results are received in a timely manner. GRE information can be obtained by calling 866-473-4373 or 609-771-7670 or visiting the GRE website. The UTC school code for the GRE is 1831.
- Show completion of, or a plan for completing, the following prerequisites at the College level with a grade of B- or better. Prerequisite courses must be completed
prior to starting the program NOT prior to application.
- General Biology (8 semester hours)*
- General Chemistry (4 semester hours)*
- Physics (4 semester hours)*
- Human Anatomy & Physiology (8 semester hours)*
- Introduction to Psychology (3 semester hours)
- Lifespan Human Development or Developmental Psychology (3 semester hours)
- Abnormal Psychology (3 semester hours)
- Statistics (3 semester hours)
- Sociology or Anthropology (3 semester hours)
- Medical Terminology Competence (2 or 3 semester hours)
* - These courses must have been completed within the last 7 years.
Official transcripts showing prerequisite completion will be required prior to program matriculation
- Submit 3 letters of recommendation, each from a person with authority regarding your work and accessing your qualification for graduate education, ability to complete graduate work, and your qualifications for a professional scholarly career. These may include professors, therapists, and/or other professionals familiar with your capabilities and achievements. One must be from an occupational therapist.
- Submit an essay describing your interests and skills, goals and professional accomplishments, including why you are choosing a graduate degree and your current understanding of the profession of Occupational Therapy.
- Essential Functions: Occupational Therapy students must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodations, each of these essential functions in order to fully participate in our program (including clinical experiences) and successfully complete the requirements for a doctorate degree in occupational therapy. Applicants are asked to certify that they are able to complete each of these essential functions as an OT student with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Occupational Therapy Program application process is now on the Occupational Therapy Centralized Admission System (OTCAS). All materials for application can be found OTCAS. You must complete the OTCAS online application AND the UTC supplemental application before your application is complete. To find the UTC supplemental application link, go to the UTC page description on the OTCAS website.
OTCAS Online Application
UTC OTD Supplemental Application Packet
Official Transcripts (all schools attended)
Recommendation Letters (3)
Pre-requisite Completion Plan (in supplemental application packet)
Essay (in supplemental application packet)
Criminal Background Checks
The OT Department requires criminal background checks and/or drug tests for all enrolled students, in order to verify an individual’s suitability to participate in experiential education rotations and to ensure patient safety.
Thank you for your interest in the OTD program at UTC.
(please read and carefully fill out all the requested information fields)
Please submit the above to:
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 McCallie Avenue
The Graduate School, Department 5305
Chattanooga, TN 37403