Section Menu




Q: Which foreign languages can I study at UTC?

A: French, German, Greek, Italian, Latin, Japanese, and Spanish.

  • Chinese and Portuguese have both been offered in the past and may be offered again in the future.

Q: How can I fulfill my foreign language requirement?

A: It depends on what your major requires.

  • B.A. degrees require four semesters of a foreign language;
  • Most B.S. degrees require two semesters of a foreign language while some degrees require none.

Q: Do I really need to take a Placement Test?

A: You really should. Here's why:

  • If you studied a language for 3 years or more, you can probably test out of the language requirement, thus skipping up to four semesters of language courses;
  • If you studied a language for 1 - 2 years, you may be able to skip the Elementary courses and advance to the Intermediate level;
  • If you are a native/heritage speaker of another language, you will likely score at advanced levels but the Placement Test helps determine your grammar proficiency.

Q: In which language(s) can I take a Placement Test?

A: French, German, Latin, and Spanish.

  • If you are proficient or fluent in another language, contact the Department Head to discuss your options.

Q: Where and when is the Placement Test offered?

A: You can take it any time, no appointment necessary, in the Language Lab located in Brock 101.

  • The test is multiple choice in format;
  • The test takes about 90 minutes (approx. 60 mins. for the grammar and 30 mins. for the listening);
  • There is no speaking required;
  • There is no cost to take the test;
  • You get your results immediately after the test;
  • You may take the test once per language;
  • You do not receive credit hours for the test.

Q: How many credits do I get for testing out of a language?

A: None, but...

  • If you "test out" of a language (meaning you have tested beyond the Intermediate level), you do not receive credit hours for the courses you bypassed; however, your academic records will show that you have met the foreign language requirement.

Q: Which course(s) should I take to fulfill my language requirement?

A: It depends on your major/minor:

  • If you are a foreign language major/minor, take INTERMEDIATE FOR CONVERSATION (e.g. FREN 2110 then FREN 2120);
  • If you want to fulfill your language requirement, take INTERMEDIATE FOR READING (e.g. SPAN 2130 then SPAN 2140).

Q: Can I earn credits for studying abroad?

A: Quite possibly, yes!

  • If you studied a foreign language during an officially recognized study abroad program, bring your transcripts to the department head for review. 
  • Are you a Spanish major or minor who wants to study abroad in Spain? Contact Dr. Lynn Purkey for more information.