UTC Mocs Battalion
Tennessee is steeped in military tradition. From Colonel John Sevier calling for “100 good men” and 200 answering the call in 1780 to the tradition of military service today.
A unit of the Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) was officially established on April 7, 1950 at the University of Chattanooga. In 1969, the University of Chattanooga and a junior college, Chattanooga City College, merged with the University of Tennessee, one of the oldest land-grant universities in the nation, to form the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. The ROTC remained a successful and integral part of the university continuing to turn out many distinguished officers in the United States Army. In 1994 the program was selected for closure, due to national level budgetary cuts and program reviews. The ROTC program was phased out over the next three years, and by the end of 1997, was no longer a part of the UTC campus.
In 2007 the ROTC unit was activated once again to meet the demand of quality Army officers. UTC ROTC graduates have gone on to successful careers as both Army officers and civilian professionals. Many have served honorably in Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Afghanistan, and Iraq conflicts.