Step Ahead Math Program
Wednesday August 5, 2015 – Saturday August 15, 2015
What is the Step Ahead Math Program?
- a 9-day class to boost students to college algebra or pre-calculus
- a combination of lecture, lab work and tutoring
- students will be tested at the end of the class to determine if they will be eligible to take college algebra or another math course
- college credit will NOT be earned in this class
How can it help me?
If you pass Step Ahead Math then you can enroll in College Algebra (MATH 1130) or Precalculus I (MATH 1710), even if you don’t have the ACT Math 19 score required for those courses. If you do not have an ACT Math score of 19, you will not be able to enroll in MATH 1130 or MATH 1710 without passing the Step Ahead Math program or taking Intermediate Algebra at a community college with a grade of C or better.
Who is eligible?
- Only students who have submitted an online application for Step Ahead Math are eligible (see "How do I apply?")
- New entering UTC freshmen who have ACT Math scores below 19
- Entering freshmen with an ACT Math score of 19-21 and continuing students not currently eligible for Math 1130 may apply; eligible students will be placed on a waiting list until the application deadline, July 1, 2015
- The first 400 students who meet the criteria and submit a Step Ahead Math application
Who will teach the class?
UTC Mathematics faculty, the same faculty who teach College Algebra and Precalculus I during the regular semesters.
When is the class?
For Fall 2015: August 5-15, 2015 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.; exam Saturday, August 15, 2015.
No class Sunday, August 9, or Friday, August 14 so students can participate in Welcome Week and FYRE activities.
What happens if I pass the Exit Exam?
Students who pass the Exit Exam will be eligible to register for Math 1130 or Math 1710. Since these courses are in high demand and fill up quickly, spaces have been reserved in several sections of each course for Step Ahead students. After the exams have been graded, Step Ahead students will return to the Math Department to find out if they passed the exam. The Step Ahead faculty will then assist all passing students in registering for a Math 1130 or Math 1710 course for the Fall semester.
What is the cost?
The program fee is $80, including housing. Students are responsible for their own meals. (See below.)
Eligible students will receive payment information with confirmation of eligibility.
What do I need to bring to the class?
Bring a pencil, a notebook, and a laptop computer, if you have one (not required). More detailed information will be sent to students accepted into the program on July 6, 2015.
When can I check in to the dorm?
Wednesday, August 5, 2015 - check in times TBA
PLEASE NOTE: Students assigned temporary off-campus housing will not be able to move in early and must make their own arrangements for accommodations during Step Ahead Math
Students who do not have a campus housing assignment must commute from home or make their own arrangements for a place to stay during Step Ahead Math
What about meals?
- Fall meal plans will be active starting Monday, August 10, 2015.
- Limited options will be available on campus and at nearby restaurants - information will be provided prior to your arrival.
- Campus points (cash amounts) may be added to your ID card via www.managemyid.com for food purchases prior to meal plan activation.
- Food court and Crossroads hours will be posted when they have been determined.
What about parking?
Fall parking permits are valid beginning Monday, August 17; tickets will not be issued August 6-17, 2015, so Step Ahead participants will not need to pay for parking during the program.
How do I apply?
Application deadline is July 1, 2015, at 5:00 p.m. Students on the waiting list will be notified of their status by July 22, 2015.
The application form will be active on this page in April 2015.
Need more information?Contact: Department of Mathematics, Dr. John “Matt” Matthews, (423) 425-4545, or Matt-Matthews@utc.edu