Step Ahead Math 2017
The Math Boot Camp
Wednesday August 9, 2017 – Thursday August 17, 2017
What is the Step Ahead Math Program?
- a 9-day class to boost students to college algebra or pre-calculus
- a combination of lecture, lab work and tutoring
- students will be tested at the end of the class to determine if they will be eligible to take college algebra or another math course
- college credit will NOT be earned in this class
How can it help me?
If you pass Step Ahead Math then you can enroll in College Algebra (MATH 1130), Precalculus I (MATH 1710), or Math for Elementary & Middle School Teachers I (MATH 2150) even if you don’t have the ACT Math 19 score required for those courses.
If you do not have an ACT Math score of 19, you will not be able to enroll in MATH 1130, MATH 1710, or MATH 2150 without passing the Step Ahead Math program or taking appropriate algebra preparation at a community college with a grade of C or better.
Who is eligible?
- Only students who have submitted an online application for Step Ahead Math are eligible
- New entering UTC freshmen who have ACT Math scores below 19
- Entering freshmen with an ACT Math score of 19-21 and continuing students not currently eligible for Math 1130 may apply; eligible students will be placed on a waiting list until the application deadline, July 28, 2017
- The first 400 students who meet the criteria and submit a Step Ahead Math application
Who will teach the class?
UTC Mathematics faculty, the same faculty who teach College Algebra, Precalculus I and Math for Elementary & High School Teachers I during the regular semesters.
When is the class?
For Fall 2017: August 9-17, 2017 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.; exam Thursday, August 17, 2017.
Sunday August 13, 2017 will have only an afternoon session, to permit students personal time.
What happens if I pass the Exit Exam?
Students who pass the Exit Exam will be eligible to register for Math 1130, Math 1710 or Math 2150. Since these courses are in high demand and fill up quickly, spaces have been reserved in several sections of each course for Step Ahead students. After the exams have been graded, Step Ahead students will return to the Math Department to find out if they passed the exam. The Step Ahead faculty will then assist all passing students in registering for a Math 1130, Math 1710 or Math 2150 course for the Fall semester.
What is the cost?
The program fee is $80, including housing. Students are responsible for their own meals. (See below.)
After applying, eligible students will receive payment information with confirmation of eligibility.
What do I need to bring to the class?
Bring a pencil, a notebook, and a laptop computer, if you have one (not required). More detailed information will be sent to students accepted into the program by the end of July.
When can I check in to the dorm?
Wednesday, August 9, 2017 - check in times TBA
PLEASE NOTE: Students assigned temporary off-campus housing will not be able to move in early and must make their own arrangements for accommodations during Step Ahead Math.
Students who do not have a campus housing assignment must commute from home or make their own arrangements for a place to stay during Step Ahead Math.
What about meals?
- Fall meal plans will be active sometime during the week of August 14, 2017.
- Limited options will be available on campus and at nearby restaurants - information will be provided prior to your arrival.
- Campus points (cash amounts) may be added to your Mocs Card ID card via GET for food purchases prior to meal plan activation.
- Food court and Crossroads hours will be posted when they have been determined.
What about parking?
Fall parking permits are valid beginning Monday, August 21, 2017. Tickets will not be issued August 9-17, 2017, so Step Ahead participants will not need to pay for parking during the program.
How do I apply?
A link for online application is coming soon. Application deadline is July 28, 2017, at 5:00 p.m. Students on the waiting list will be notified of their status by July 17, 2017.
Need more information?
Contact: Department of Mathematics, Ms. Heather Heinlein, (423) 425-4564, or Heather-Heinlein@utc.edu.