Faculty Presentations and Invited Talks
The Mathematics department prides itself on a tradition of active and productive research.
Below are recent Presentations and Invited Talks that Department of Mathematics faculty
members have given on their recent research topics in chronological order.
- Avdonin, Sergei, “Inverse problems on quantum graphs with cycles,” Invited talk, Joint Mathematics Meetings, San Diego, CA, January 12, 2013.
- Avdonin, Sergei, “Boundary control approach to inverse problems,” Colloquium talk, Department of Mathematics, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX, January 25, 2013.
- Avdonin, Sergei, “Inverse spectral and dynamical problems on quantum graphs,” Invited seminar talk, Department of Physics, Texas Southern University, Houston, TX, January 28, 2013.
- Nichols, Roger, "Positivity Preserving Semigroups and Heat Kernel and Green's Function Bounds," University of Alabama at Birmingham Mathematics Colloquium. Birmingham, AL. February 1, 2013.
- Avdonin, Sergei, “Riesz bases of exponentials and their applications in signal processing,” Invited seminar talk, Department of Mathematics, University of Linkoping, Linkoping, Sweden, February 22, 2013.
- Avdonin, Sergei, “Inverse Problems for Differential Equations on Graphs,” Invited seminar talk, Mittag-Leffler Institute, Stockholm, Sweden, March 4, 2013.
- Kong, Lingju, “Existence of solutions to a discrete fourth order periodic boundary value problem,”New Trends in Differential and Difference Equations Conference'' in honor of Prof. John R. Graef's 70th birthday, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Chattanooga, TN, March 15-16, 2013.
- Smith, R.L, "Recent Results on Normal Matrices", Invited Talk, Auburn University, Auburn, AL, April 12, 2013.
- Darken, Betsy, “Quantitative reasoning across the curriculum.” UTC Instructional Excellence Conference. May 2, 2013.
- Wang, Min. "Boundary value problems for fractional differential equations." NIU Math Colloquium, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL, Mar. 1, 2013.
- Wang, Min. "A Chebyshev spectral method for solving Riemann-Liouville fractional boundary value problems." New Trends in Differential and Difference Equations Conference, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Chattanooga, TN, Mar. 15, 2013.
- Liu, Roy. "Connectedness, Hessian and Generalized Numerical Ranges." The 18th Conference of the International Linear Algebra Society, Providence, Rhode Island, June 3-7, 2013.
- Liu, Roy. "On Copositive-Plus Matrices." Southern Regional Algebra Conference, Southeastern Louisiana University, March 15-17, 2013.
- Gao, Cuilan, “Empirical Bayesian Selection of hypothesis testing procedures for analysis of digital gene expression data”, Invited talk, IMS-China International Conference on Statistics and Probability, Chengdu, China, July 3, 2013.
- Ledoan, Andrew, "Limit points of the sequence of normalized gaps between consecutive primes," INTEGERS 2013: The Erdos Centennial Conference, University of West Georgia, Carrollton, Georgia, October 25, 2013.
- John R. Graef, Lingju Kong, Q. Kong, and Min Wang, Uniqueness and parameter dependence of positive solutions to a higher order boundary value problem with fractional q-derivatives, an invited address presented in the Special Session ``Fractional, Hybrid, and Stochastic Dynamical Systems with Applications," at the 119th Annual Meeting of the American Mathematical Society, held in San Diego, California, January 9--12, 2013.
- John R. Graef and S. Saker, Hardy's type inequalities on time scales, presented at the Nineteenth International Conference on Difference Equations and Applications held at Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Oman on May 26--30, 2013.
- John R. Graef and E. Tunc, Oscillation criteria for second-order functional dynamic equations on time-scales, presented at the Thirty--Third Annual Southeastern--Atlantic Regional Conference on Differential Equations, held at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, Knoxville, Tennessee, September 21--22, 2013.
- John R. Graef, Nonoscillation of all solutions of a higher order nonlinear delay dynamic equation on time scales, an invited plenary lecture presented at the conference "A Celebration of the Many Accomplishments of Professor Allan Peterson," held at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska, October 25--27, 2013.
- John R. Graef, Lingju Kong, and Min Wang, Homoclinic solutions for second order difference equations with p-Laplacian, with L. Kong and M. Wang, presented at the conference "A Celebration of the Many Accomplishments of Professor Allan Peterson," held at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska, October 25--27, 2013.
- Nichols, Roger, "On positivity improving semigroups and resolvents of regular Sturm--Liouville-type operators," Southeastern-Atlantic Regional Conference on Differential Equations, Knoxville, TN, September 22, 2013.
- Nichols, Roger, "On square-root domains for non-self-adjoint operators under additive perturbations," Invited seminar talk, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, October 3, 2013.
- Wang, Min, "Positive doubly periodic solutions of nonlinear telegraph equations." Invited talk, The Peterson Conference, Lincoln, NE, Oct. 26, 2013.
- Wang, Min, "Uniqueness and parameter dependence of positive doubly periodic solutions of nonlinear telegraph equations." Colloquium talk, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Chattanooga, TN, Oct. 8, 2013.
- Lingju Kong, “Homoclinic solutions for second order difference equations with p-Laplacian.” Invited talk in the Peterson Conference to celebrate the many accomplishments of Professor Allan Peterson, Charles Bessey Professor of Mathematics at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE, October 25–27, 2013