Special Collections & University Archives offers digitization services for materials in its collections to assist scholars in their research. Reproduction of materials is guided and governed by considerations such as donor restrictions, condition and intrinsic value (uniqueness, rarity, costliness). Researchers needing to consult large quantities of material should plan to conduct preliminary research on-site.
Depending on the size and complexity of your order, it may take us several days to provide copies. Once your copies are ready, we will send you a link from which you will be able to download copies to your own computer.
It is the responsibility of the researcher to keep complete and accurate citations (call numbers, captions, page numbers, and box and folder numbers) for all items requested. Requests for subsequent orders for high resolution images for publication will not be processed without this information.
- Researchers must work with staff to order scans or digital photographs.
- Some items may not be copied if handling or bright light will cause damage, or if donor or copyright restrictions do not permit reproduction. To indicate material to be copied, mark desired items using provided slips of paper. Write a brief description of the item you'd like copied, including page numbers if applicable. View examples of appropriate descriptions below:
- Photograph of Emma Bell Miles
- The Spirit of the Mountains, pp. 22-34
- Do not remove items to be copied from the folder/album, or folders/pages from the box or album.
Reproductions of our materials (photocopies, digital copies, video and sound recordings, etc.) may not be donated to another repository without written approval from Special Collections & University Archives.
All requests are subject to review. We reserve the right to revise an order due to preservation concerns or time constraints.
Researchers may use digital cameras and other equipment to copy materials for study purposes. All equipment must be approved by our staff prior to use.
Remote requests for up to 5 copies will be fulfilled. In some cases, we will complete extra scanning at the researcher's expense as time permits.
Publish, Broadcast, Quote, or Exhibit
If the copies are to be used in a publication, exhibit, or broadcast, the recipient receive permission to Publish, Broadcast, Quote, or Exhibit from Special Collections & University Archives.