New UTC Library - Opening Spring 2015!
The countdown is on – we’re getting close to the opening of the brand-new $48 million state-of-the-art building. This will be UTC’s premier location for resources supporting academic needs outside of the classroom.
Here's some quick information about the new library:
- Art Department,
- Center for Advisement and Student Success,
- Copy Services,
- Graduate Student Association,
- Information Technology Division,
- Office of Students with Disabilities,
- Online Education,
- Southern Writers,
- Teaching Resource Center,
- Writing Center, and
- 37 study rooms (29 small, 7 medium, 1 large),
- 2 practice presentation rooms,
- 24 hour student study space,
- 4 lounges (2 quiet lounges, computer and graduate student),
- 7 classrooms,
- 8 seminar and conference rooms,
- 29 faculty and graduate student carrels,
- 2 visiting scholar rooms, and
- 1 grand reading room.
Studio. This advanced media studio and creator space will feature:
- 3D printing,
- 3D scanning,
- Soundproof media recording area,
- Green screen,
- Multiple editing software programs, and
- Additional maker tools.
- More than 200 desktop computers for student use,
- Laptops for use in the library*, and
- Chromebooks for use outside of the library*.
- Kindle e-readers*,
- Audio recorders*,
- Camcorders (and tripods)*, and
- Scientific Calculators*.
* These items are already available for check out - please see the circulation desk.
Before we can open the library for use, there are still a few things left to do. The library will open in the Spring Semester of 2015, and before that time we have to:
- Finish building - construction will be completed in Fall 2014.
- Furnish the building - a brand new 5-story building requires a lot of tables, chairs, desks, shelves, whiteboards, etc. Furniture has already been ordered and will be delivered once construction of the building is completed. Deliveries will take place over several weeks.
- Set up the equipment - the new library will have a lot of great equipment for students, faculty, and staff to use. Library staff will be setting up and testing all of the equipment to ensure it's ready to use when the new library opens.
- Move the books - to minimize any disruption, we've arranged for a specialized moving company to move all of the library materials from our current building to the new library. This will ensure that the books, movies, music, newspapers, magazines, laptops, e-readers, and all of the other wonderful materials the library offers are moved quickly, safely, and in an organized manner. This ensures that we can open the new library as quickly as possible and we'll know where everything is.
Also be sure to check out our gallery of new library images throughout construction.
More details about the library will be posted here as construction is completed. Check back again!