This page contains UTC Learn's recommendations and tips for taking tests and quizzes as a student in Blackboard (pdf version). Follow these guidelines when taking a test/quiz to avoid problems such as being locked out of a test/quiz.
Before the Test:
- Turn off pop-up blockers in browser preferences and close all other software such as instant messaging, email notifications, or other programs which may interfere when taking a test.
- Give yourself time to take the test, accounting for any technical problems that may occur. Once you have entered the test, do not leave the test or do anything else until you are finished.
- It is not recommended that you connect to UTC Learn using America Online as your browser or through a dial-up connection. You connection may be terminated at any time. Recommended browser is Firefox, but Google Chrome, Safari, and Internet Explorer can be used also.
- Do not use a mobile device's web browser to take a UTC Learn test or quiz; instead, use a non-mobile device's web browser to take the test or quiz.
- Make the Visual Text Box Editor unavailable before the test (you can turn it back
on after the test):
Main tab > Tools: Personal Information > Set Visual Text Box Editor Options
During the Test:
- Wait for all questions to load before beginning the test.
- Do not navigate to other websites or any other area of UTC Learn while taking the test. If you do, you may be locked out of your test.
- Single click on the arrow when advancing to the next question: avoid hitting Enter on your keyboard or double clicking on the arrow.
- Never use the back or forward button in your browser; instead, always use the internal navigational tools to navigate through the test.
- Keep your browser active. The assessment feature in UTC Learn is set to time out when there is a lot of inactivity. To keep the test active, you must save the test or individual questions periodically by clicking the "Save" button every now and then located near the end of the test. Checking boxes and typing does not keep the browser active.
- When you have completed the test, make sure you click on the Submit button (and not the Save button). Click on the Submit button only once; there may be a delay as the test is scored.
- If using a mouse with a scroll wheel, click on your answer and then click elsewhere in the test area, and then scroll down with the scroll wheel to avoid scrolling to a different answer.