A Blog - a shorthand term that means Web log - is a personal online journal that is
frequently updated and intended for general public consumption. In UTC Learn, only
enrolled users can view and author Blogs. Blogs encourage Students to clearly express
their ideas and addresses the need to expand various aspects of social learning. Blogs
are an effective means of gaining insight into Student's activities and provide a
way to share the knowledge and material collected.
In UTC Learn, Blogs consist of two elements:
- Blog entries: Text, images, links, multimedia, Mashups, and attachments added by Course members open for comments.
- Comments: Remarks or responses to Blog entries made by other Course members, including the Instructor.
An Instructor can choose to allow students to participate in Blogs in three ways:
- Course Blogs: Only the Instructor can create a Course Blog and determines the topic to be addressed. All Course members can add Blog entries and add comments to Blog entries.
- Individual Blogs: Only the Instructor can create a Blog for individual Course members to use. Only the owner of the Blog is able to add Blog entries. All other Course members can view and add comments.
- Group Blogs: If the Instructor enables the Blogs tool for the Group, all Group members can add Blog entries and make comments on Blog entries building upon one another. Any Course member can view Group Blogs, but can continue the discussion of the previous entry, but can be a complete thought of its own.
The Instructor can edit and delete entries in any of the three Blog types and delete user comments. The following resources will help you:
Available Tutorials: Create Blog (PDF), Create and Save Blog Entry (PDF), Access Student Blog Entries (PDF), Add Comments (PDF), Add Mashup to Blog Entry (PDF), Grade Blogs (PDF), Read and Reply to Comments (PDF)
Available Videos: Creating a Blog (VIDEO), Creating and Editing Blog Entries (VIDEO), Commenting on a Blog Entry (VIDEO)