Admission into the Master of Science (MS) and the Master of Interior Design (MID)
Application Review Begins March 1st.
The admission, retention, and graduation requirements for the UTC Interior Design MS and MID degrees will be consistent with those of existing master's degree programs offered at UTC as described in the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Graduate Catalog. In addition, admission into the UTC Interior Design MS degree program will be based on a holistic assessment of the following criteria:
- Applicants must obtain admission to both the UTC Graduate School and the UTC Interior Design Program.
- Applicants must meet the general UTC Graduate School requirements of graduation from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Applicants must complete a Graduate School Application. Official transcripts from all schools attended must be submitted directly to the UTC Graduate School.
- Applicants must hold a bachelor's degree in Interior Design, Architecture, or a related field with a minimum 3.0 undergraduate grade point average (GPA). Degrees in progress will be considered. Official transcripts are required.
- Applicant must take and submit an official score report for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Applicants must complete the Interior Design Department application process:
- Upon admission to the UTC Graduate School, the UTC Graduate School will forward all required items to the Department of Interior Design.
- Potential students must submit:
- a Statement of Interest that identifies goals and research interest, not to exceed 500 words.
- a portfolio of undergraduate and professional work, if applicable. Print or digital versions are acceptable and should not exceed 25 images/pages. Portfolios must demonstrate competence equivalent to standards outlined by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation.
- a minimum of three professional and/or academic letters of reference.
- Potential students must complete an in-person or phone interview.
Students who transfer from other appropriate graduate programs will be allowed to transfer in up to nine semester credit hours. All student requests to apply transfer credit toward Interior Design MID degree requirements must be approved by the Department of Interior Design graduate faculty.
Students must follow the guidelines and policies for continuation as outlined in the UTC Graduate Catalog.
Students must successfully achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.0 in all Interior Design courses.
Students must receive a grade of C (70%) or better in a course that is required for that course to be considered as successfully completed and for that course to qualify as a prerequisite for subsequent courses in the interior design course sequence.