- Richard Gambrell
- Strategic Solutions, Information Technology
- M.A., University of California, Davis, CA
- (423) 425-5316
- (423) 425-5317
- 103B Hunter
- 9-6 M-F
- Job Responsibilities
As the head of Strategic Solutions, Richard directs the middleware team, provides
oversight to the Client Solutions department, runs projects, and provides consulting
The middleware team has responsibility for major solutions such as Banner and MyMocsDegree, the utc.edu Website, Blog services, MyMocsNet Portal, Event and Calendar solutions, and Identity and Access management,
Client Solutions administers Device Management, Collaboration and Storage Services, Office 365, and Google Apps.
Richard is on the Banner Core and Banner Planning teams. chairs the Banner Security team and the Web Steering committees and he coordinates the technical review processes in IT.
Richard recently led the Web Reboot project to implement a web content management system (CMS) and to redesign the website for UTC. The new website design recently won awards.
I have provided cost effective, high quality information technology solutions in dynamic and growing University settings for 30 years. I have an exceptional ability to understand both technical and functional business issue and an outstanding ability to lead diverse technical staff. I strive to collaboratively and synergistically arrive at high quality/lower cost solutions to meet university goals in concert with best practice technical requirements.
Technical experience: I have worked across the spectrum in IT, including:
- Technical support
- Computer lab management
- Computing Science departmental support
- Wide variety of administrative systems and applications (including General Ledger, Student Accounts, Accounts Payable, Payroll, Financial Aid, Student Registration, Admissions, Alumni, Development, Grading, Course Evaluation, Identity Management, Email, etc.),
- Telecom: pbx & voice mail administration
- Unix system administration
- Database administration
- Network management
- Client solutions and Device management
Brief job history:
- 2013-present - Director of Strategic Solutions at UTC
- 2008-2012 - Director of Information Systems and Coordinator of IT for the (second) Banner Project at UTC
- 2006-2008 - Director of Information Systems at UTC
- 2002-2005 - Director of Systems and Networks at UTC
- 2000-2001 - Senior IT Consultant at UTC
- 1998-2000 - Independent consultant, including work with Special Projects (first Banner project) at UTC and with the Office of the Executive Vice President, Clark Atlanta University
- 1985-1998 - Manager of Systems and Applications - and a variety of prior positions - in the Information Technology Center, Xavier University of Louisiana
- 1983-1985 - Institutional Research Officer, in Planning and Evaluation, Xavier University of Louisiana.
- 1977-1982 - Researcher, programmer, instructor, and teaching assistant, at departments of Applied Behavioral Science and of Sociology, UC Davis.
- 1980: Candidate for Ph.D., Sociology, University of California, Davis, CA
- 1977: M.A. Sociology, University of California, Davis, CA
- 1974: B.A. Liberal Arts, Raymond College, University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA
In what spare time I have, I like to take pictures, garden, play with my grandchildren, and work with my church on communications, use of technology, and ministries to men and in support of strong marriages.