Room Assignment Guide for Incoming Fall 2014 Freshmen
- Freshmen Live On Requirement
- All freshmen are required to live on campus.
2. Residency Exception
- Freshmen that live within a 45 mile radius of the university may be approved for a Residency Exception. If you are a freshman that would like to live at home please complete the Residency Exception Form
3. Review Building and Rates
- Building preferences are not guaranteed and are subject to availability.
- Freshmen only buildings are Stagmaier, Guerry, Decosimo and Walker.
- Freshmen and Upperclassman (mixed) buildings are Johnson Obear, Boling, Lockmiller and Stophel.
- Rates are for the 2013/2014 academic year. Please anticipate an increase for the 2014/2015 academic year.
- You may list between 3-6 room preferences.
4. Roommate Preferences
- Do you know someone attending UTC? Would you like to live with them? If so, exchange full names and UTC IDs. You will need to include this information on your application.
- Only mutual requests will be considered (all applications MUST match).
- Roommate preferences are not guaranteed and are subject to room availability.
- You may update your preferences at any time. This will NOT change you application complete date.
5. Meal Plan
- All students who live on campus are required to purchase a meal plan.
- Review the meal plan options : Campus Dish
- Although meal plans are chosen through the housing website, please direct all meal plan questions to the Mocs Card Office at (423) 425-4109.
6. UTC ID
- In order to complete a housing application you must have your UTC ID and password and be admitted to the university.
- Your UTC ID consists of three letters then three numbers (abc123)
- For assistance with your ID or password please contact admissions at 423-425-4662.
- Please note it may take a day or two after being admitted to be able to log in to the system. Additionally, if you have recently changed or set up your password in My Mocs Net please allow one day before attempting to log in to our system.
7. Communication between Housing and Students
- All communication is through the STUDENT’S UTC email account!
- If you have questions you may call 423-425-4304 or email firstname.lastname@example.org from your UTC email account.
- We would like to remind you how quickly our housing fills. It is important for you
to apply for housing as soon as you are accepted into the University.
APPLICATION AND APPLICATION FEE
Read all the instructions then click the APPLY NOW button at the bottom of the page:
1. Complete Application
- Click "Click here to log in"
- Enter your UTC ID and password
- Under the application tab click “Apply Now”
- Select the 2014 Freshmen Application (the page will take a few seconds to load)
- There are approximately 10 steps in the application, click NEXT after each step.Steps include:
- Profile Information
- Emergency Contact Information
- Optional Contact Information
- Housing Contract
- Parental Guarantor
- Room Preferences
- Roommate Preferences & Roommate Matching Preferences
- Themed Learning Communities
- Meal Plan
- A copy of the contract and your application will be emailed to the students UTC account once submitted.
2. Pay the $25 Application Fee (onetime, non-refundable fee)
1. Under the Make Payment Tab, pay the $25 application fee
2. Acceptable forms of payment: Credit Card – Visa or MasterCard
*If you are unsure that your payment has been submitted click the “Receipts” tab under Make Payments. If you see your receipt the payment was submitted correctly. If you do not have a receipt please resubmit your payment.
- Assignments are made based on the information the student has provided on their application and criteria determined by the housing office.
- Assignments are based upon the student’s application complete date.
- The application is considered completed once the $25.00 application fee is paid.
- If you have roommate preferences, and requests are MUTUAL, assignments will be based
on the AVERAGE date of all the applications.
- For example: Sally completes her application November 1st. Ruth completed her application January 1st. Sally and Ruth have both listed each other as preferred roommates making the request MUTUAL. Since the request is mutual the computer will AVERAGE their application complete dates (November 1st & January 1st) to place them together in the pool of applicants. Sally and Ruth now have an application complete date of December 1st in the pool of applicants.
2. Assignment Dates & Deadlines
- Check your UTC EMAIL ACCOUNT to see if you have been assigned on the dates below.
- Once you have been assigned a room then you will have 10 (ten) calendar days to pay your $225 pre-payment and confirm your room. The $225 prepayment is refundable, with written cancellation request; prior to June 1, 2014 should your plans to attend UTC change. Cancellation requests received after June 1, 2014 will result in forfeiture of the $225 prepayment.
- Failure to pay the $225 prepayment within the required 10 days will result in your room assignment and application being cancelled for non-payment.
- Only a certain number of rooms will be assigned on each assignment date.
- If you are not assigned a room on a particular date then your application will remain active until the next assignment date.
- All rooms unconfirmed will be available for the next assignment date.
- It is university policy that all freshmen live on campus. As an incoming freshman, please rest assured that you will be provided temporary accommodations (overflow housing), should on campus housing space become filled, until we can provide you a permanent room assignment.
$225 Pre-payment due by:
Friday, April 04, 2014
Monday, April 14, 2014
Friday, April 25, 2014
Monday, May 05, 2014
Friday, May 16, 2014
Monday, May 26, 2014
Friday, June 06, 2014
Monday, June 16, 2014
Friday, June 27, 2014
Monday, July 07, 2014
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
How will I know when I’ve been assigned?
All communication is through the STUDENT’S UTC email account! Once assigned you will receive an email with instructions on how to confirm the assignment by paying the $225 pre-payment.
How do I check my UTC email account?
Click My MOCS Net
Log in using your UTC ID & Password (included in your admissions packet)
Once logged in click “Mocs Mail+” in the top right corner
An assignment date has passed but I have not received an assignment?
All students with completed applications are in each assignment pool. Each time assignments are made only a certain number of rooms and applicants are assigned.
All rooms cancelled for non-payment are available during the next assignment date for those students remaining in the assignment pool.
Why didn’t I get assigned to one of my building preferences?
The building you requested did not have space at the time of assignment to honor your request.
How come I was not paired with my preferred roommate(s)?
The request was NOT mutual or there was not enough space within the same apartment to pair you and your preferred roommate(s) together.
What if I don’t like my assignment?
You may email email@example.com and request to cancel your assignment and be placed back into the pool of applications for the next assignment date. Choosing to go into the next assignment date does not change your application complete date. Going into the next assignment date is risky and does not guarantee that you will be placed in one of your preferred buildings. Please keep in mind that the number of rooms available is reduced during each assignment date.
What if I missed the deadline to pay the reservation fee? What happens to my room?
Students who do not pay the $225 within the 10 days will have their application and assignment cancelled for non-payment. If you still plan to attend UTC, email firstname.lastname@example.org and request that your application be reactivated, you will then be eligible for the next assignment date.
What if I want to change my assignment after I confirmed and paid the $225 pre-payment?
- You may email email@example.com and request to cancel your assignment and be placed back into the next assignment date.
- Going into the next assignment date is risky and does not guarantee that you will be placed in one of your preferred buildings. Please keep in mind that the number of rooms available is reduced during each assignment date.
- We do not provide waiting list for specific complexes.
What if I want to swap rooms with a friend or roommate?
If two students agree to swap rooms they both must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, from their UTC email account, agreeing to the swap. Include in the email: Your name, your UTC ID & your assignment AND the person’s name, UTC ID and room you wish to switch to. An email will be returned when the requests are mutual and the swap has been completed.
Can I list a current student or transfer student as a roommate preference?
In order to provide the best service for our large student body, assignments are divided up into 3 categories: Incoming freshmen, Transfers and Current students. Each group goes through room assignments at different times, therefore students can only be matched as roommates if they are in the same category.
How do I update my preferences (building, roommate and/or meal plan)?
Click the APPLY NOW button, log in, then select the Update Application tab then select Update Preferences, continue through each section to make changes.
*Updating your preferences will NOT change your application complete date.
What is a Themed Learning Community?
- Themed Learning Communities provide a unique atmosphere for residents who share common interests and cultivate an environment that supports personal growth through academic and social programming. All communities are designed for freshmen students.
- 2013 TLC’s are Healthy Mocs, WILD, Business, and LEAD
What are the themed communities and which complex are they located in?
For more information click TLC's
What is overflow housing?
Temporary accommodations (traditionally we have used a local hotel), until we can provide you a permanent room assignment on campus.
Who gets placed in overflow housing?
Since assignments are based on when you completed your application, overflow housing has traditionally been assigned to students that applied for housing late. Please keep in mind that the application opened November 1st, 2013.
I have decided to attend another university, what do I need to do?
- Please complete the Request for Release form under the FORMS menu to cancel your housing application.
- You will also want to contact admissions to cancel your enrollment. http://www.utc.edu/admissions/
What if I have a special request?
Please send an email from your UTC email account with specific information on your request to email@example.com.