Clinical Health and Liability Requirements
Once notified of admittance into the GATEP, students must meet the following requirements prior to beginning the clinical education component of the program:
As a student in the ATEP, you will be working in a variety of health care settings. The UTC-ATEP has established guidelines which comply with the CAATE Accreditation Standards, as well as the recommendations of the GATEP Medical Director and University Health Services. Students must fulfill these requirements by July 15 (Background Check by May 1) in order to start the clinical education component of the curriculum.
Complete the following requirements :
1) Immunizations and Technical Standards
- The UTC GATEP Medical History Form will be accepted. The form consists of the following components:
- Medical History (to be completed by student)
- Immunization record (completed by student and reviewed by physician)
- Students must complete their immunization information on the medical history form. Failure to do so will result in a delay in the start of the clinical component of the ATEP until fulfillment of the requirement.
- The GATEP will not provide nor cover the costs for immunization or laboratory testing. The student can coordinate needed updates (i.e., Hepatitis B vaccine, Tuberculin testing, tetanus booster, etc.) through UTC Student Health or through their own primary care physician.
- PPD (Mantoux) for Tuberculin testing can be completed at the University Health Services. Test must be read in the University Health Services within 48-72 hours. This testing is required annually and should be scheduled to cover the entire clinical component time frame (August to the following July).
Technical Standards are abilities that a person must possess and be able to perform to be an athletic trainer. These abilities are evaluated by a physician during the physical examination and by yourself on the Technical Standards form. If there is any question as to whether these abilities can be performed, the Office of Student with Disabilities will be contacted and the student will be evaluated. Technical Standards form is available on the GATEP website HERE.
2) Current CPR Certification (online CPR courses are not accepted).
- Student are required to be certified in CPR prior to entering the GATEP.
- Upon entering the GATEP, students will be recertified in CPR prior to the start of
the clinical experience.
- Recertification will be Health Care Provider certification for CPR by the American
Heart Association as required by our sports medicine and medical partner
- Recertification will be Health Care Provider certification for CPR by the American Heart Association as required by our sports medicine and medical partner
3) Purchase Individual Student Professional Liability Insurance
- Coverage of a minimum of $1,000,000 per incidence/occurrence and $3,000,000 annual aggregate is required.
- Students must purchase the liability insurance at the UTC Bursar’s office in Fletcher Hall.
- The cost is under $30.00.
4) Criminal Background Check
- Must be completed by May 1st. The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) requires verification of competency of all individuals who have direct contact with patients or employees; this includes students doing clinical rotations in the facility. Competency extends beyond technical skills to an individual’s criminal history.
5) Drug screen - 7 panel screen
6) OSHA/TOSHA fit-testing for N95 particular respirator mask (includes respirator training)
7) TB skin test
- Must be negative within the past 12 months and proof of test and test results if test is done prior to coming to UTC
- Annually required
8) Regulatory Orientation Modules on TCPS website
- Annually required
9) Signed HIPAA/Privacy/Confidential Form
10) Signed Code of Conduct Form
- Student Policy Manual & CIP Signature Page
11) Second OSHA - Blood-Borne Pathogens Training Completed Form
FAILURE TO SATISFY THE PRE-CLINICAL HEALTH REQUIREMENTS PRIOR TO AUGUST 15 MAY RESULT IN DISMISSAL FROM THE UTC-ATEP