Faculty Information on General Education
UTC’s Philosophy and Goals of General Education Curriculum
The UTC faculty believes that the general education curriculum can expand students' fundamental knowledge, abilities, and aesthetic sensibilities, leading to more enriched lives and a more comprehensive view of our global world.
General Education Goals
Through study in rhetoric and composition, the natural sciences, mathematics, statistics, the behavioral and social sciences, non-Western culture, the humanities, and the fine arts, graduates of The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga will be able to:
- Express a broad knowledge of human cultures and the physical and natural world;
- Think critically, analytically, and reflectively;
- Employ qualitative and quantitative information to define and defend viewpoints, solve problems, and to make informed decisions;
- Communicate effectively, especially in speech and in writing; and collaborate on common tasks; and
- Synthesize information and concepts across general and specific disciplinary studies, demonstrated through the application of knowledge, skills and responsibilities to new settings and situations.
January 2013 General Education Proposal submitted to Faculty Senate • February 2013 revised General Education Proposal submitted to Faculty Senate • January 2013 Response to Faculty Concerns (submitted to Faculty Senate)
General Education Course Certification Procedures and Forms