GENERAL EDUCATION AT UTC
UTC’s Philosophy and Goals of General Education Curriculum
The UTC faculty believes that the general education curriculum can expand students' fundamental knowledge, abilities, and aesthetic sensibilities, leading to more enriched lives and a more comprehensive view of our global world.
General Education Goals
Through study in rhetoric and composition, the natural sciences, mathematics, statistics, the behavioral and social sciences, non-Western culture, the humanities, and the fine arts, graduates of The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga will be able to:
- Express a broad knowledge of human cultures and the physical and natural world;
- Think critically, analytically, and reflectively;
- Employ qualitative and quantitative information to define and defend viewpoints, solve problems, and to make informed decisions;
- Communicate effectively, especially in speech and in writing; and collaborate on common tasks; and
- Synthesize information and concepts across general and specific disciplinary studies, demonstrated through the application of knowledge, skills and responsibilities to new settings and situations.
- General Education courses certified for Fall 2015
- General Education course certification procedures and forms
- Certification Schedule
- General Education Syllabi Information
- General Education Goals and Outcomes (implemented 2014)
- General Education Committee Members