Section Menu

Standards to Receive Financial Aid

All students (including transfer students) must be making Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress in order to receive financial aid funds. The offer, acceptance, and disbursement of aid are contingent upon the student meeting these standards. All students are notified via their UTC e-mail if they are not making Satisfactory Academic Progress and a link to this policy will be included. Please check with the Financial Aid Office if you have questions regarding this policy. Click here to view UTC's Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

Aid is awarded based on full time enrollment*. Enrollment status for financial aid purposes is determined on the last day to add classes for the semester and eligibility is adjusted accordingly. Aid is awarded for the academic year, half for fall and half for spring semester. *(12 credit hours or more).

Undergraduate students must enroll for a minimum of 12 semester hours to qualify as a full-time student, 9-11 hours to qualify as a three-quarter-time student, and 6-8 hours to qualify as a half-time student. Half-time status is required to receive student loans, HOPE and other federal aid, although less than half-time students may qualify for Federal Pell Grant funds.

Graduate students must enroll for a minimum of 9 semester hours to qualify as a full-time student and a minimum of five credit hours to qualify as a half-time student. Graduate students must be accepted as a degree graduate student. Please visit the Graduate School web site for more information. Five credit hours is equivalent to half-time enrollment affective Fall 2012. Up until Fall 2012, six credit hours was equivalent to half-time enrollment.


Return to Title IV due to withdrawals

Explains how withdrawing from all classes or not attending can affect your Financial Aid.

Refund Process For Title IV Federal Student Financial Aid

Students who receive Federal Title IV assistance will be subject to a refund calculation if they withdraw from all classes. Students who stop attending classes, but do not officially withdraw, are also subject to this refund calculation. Students who stop attending classes and receive grades of F in all classes, or a combination of Fs and Ws are considered unofficially withdrawn. Students who withdraw – officially or unofficially – during the first 60 percent of the term will have a refund calculated under the Return of Title IV Funds Refund Policy. The percentage of the refund will equal the percentage remaining in the term at the time the student withdraws.

All refunds caused by a student withdrawing from classes will be returned to the appropriate financial aid account(s) or Department of Education in the case of student loans within 45 days to the appropriate student financial aid program(s) in the order listed:

  1. Direct Unsubsidized Loan
  2. Direct Subsidized Loan
  3. Direct PLUS Loan
  4. Federal Perkins Loan
  5. Federal Pell Grant
  6. FSEOG
  7. TEACH Grant
  8. Other SFA Programs
  9. Other federal, state, private, or institutional sources of aid
  10. The student

Note: The University reserves the right to bill the student for any Return of Title IV refund amount that exceeds the University's refund calculation as determined by UTC's refund policy.


Students who receive federal student financial assistance funds in excess of their direct cost (i.e. maintenance, tuition, room) may be required to repay funds to certain Title IV programs.

  1. Federal Pell Grant
  2. FSEOG
  3. Other SFA Programs
  4. Other federal, state, private, or institutional sources of aid