Types of Hope Scholarship and Supplemental Awards
Traditional Hope Scholarship
The Traditional Hope Scholarship is what is known to most simply as the 'Hope Scholarship'. It is available for graduating high school seniors who meet the minimum requirements to receive the award. Click here to find out those requirements. In order to continue receiving the award, you must meet the minimum GPA requirements at each 24-hour benchmark. Click here to find out those requirements.
Provisional Method Hope Scholarship ('Hope 2nd Ruling')
The Provisional Method Hope Scholarship, also known as 'Hope 2nd Ruling', is an award for students who cross the 72 or 96 hour checkpoints with the following GPA status.
- Hope cumulative GPA between 2.75-2.99; AND
- Hope semester GPA 3.0 in last full-time semester
Students will be notified at the end of each term if they are awarded the Provisional Method Hope via UTC email. There are additional requirements for receiving this scholarship, therefore we encourage reading emails entirely to understand what is required.
Tennessee Hope Access Grant
The Hope Access Grant is a one-time only award available for graduating high school seniors who do not meet minimum Hope Scholarship requirements. The requirements for this grant are listed below.
- Entering freshman must have minimum weighted 2.75 GPA AND 18-20 ACT score (860-970 SAT); AND
- Parent or independent student and spouse adjusted gross income of $36,000 or less
The grant is non-renewable. However, if a student receiving the Hope Access Grant meets the minimum requirements for the Hope Scholarship at the first 24-hour benchmark, the student's award will be updated for the following year to the Traditional Hope Scholarship.
*This award cannot be combined with the Tennessee Hope Scholarship.
Hope Aspire Supplemental Award
The Aspire Award, also known as 'Hope Need', is a need-based supplemental award. Student's receiving the Traditional or Provisional Method Hope Scholarship may qualify for the Hope Aspire award if they meet the following criteria.
- Parent of independent student and spouse adjusted gross income of $36,000 or less
*This award cannot be combined with the General Assembly Merit Scholarship.
General Assembly Merit Scholarship
The General Assembly Merit Scholarship (GAMS), also known as 'Hope Merit', is a merit-based supplemental award. High school seniors receiving the Traditional Hope Scholarship may qualify for GAMS by meeting the following criteria.
- Entering freshmen who have graduated from a Tennessee public school or category 1,2,3 private school must have minimum 3.75 weighted GPA AND 29 ACT score (1280 SAT)
- Home school graduates must complete 12 college credit hours (4 courses) with a minimum 3.0 GPA at a Tennessee college or university while they are enrolled in the home school program.
In order to receive this award, students must be eligible directly after high school.
*This award cannot be combined with the Hope Aspire Supplemental Award.
*If a student is eligible for both the Hope Aspire Award and GAMS, they will be paid Hope Aspire as it is the higher amount.
Non-Traditional Hope Scholarship
The Non-Traditional Hope Scholarship is available for non-traditional students age 25 or over who meet ALL of the following criteria.
- Student must be 25 or older (on first day of classes) upon re-enrolling in school after at least a two-year hiatus or for the first time
- Upon re-enrolling after at least two year hiatus or for the first time, the student must be continuously enrolled in every Fall and Spring term
- Student must be a TN resident for at least one year prior to applying for the award
- Independent student adjusted gross income (and spouse, if applicable) $36,000 or less
- Student must first complete 12 hours with a 2.75 GPA to be eligible for this award*
*If you think you may meet the criteria for this scholarship, please contact the Financial Aid Office for review.