THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE AT CHATTANOOGA

FACULTY COUNCIL MINUTES

 

September 20, 2001                                                   Signal Mountain Room

                                                                                    University Center

 

Elected Members Present:               Rob Bailey, Tom Bibler, Roland Carter, Susan Davidson, Joe Dumas, Steve Eskildsen, Dawn Ford, Zibin Guo, Diane Halstead, Karen Henderson, Jim Hiestand, Michael Jones, Charles Knight, Vance Lesseig, Irene Loomis, Deborah McAllister, Claire McCullough, John Mies, Marcia Noe, Teresa Norris, Vickie Petzko, Oralia Preble-Niemi, Leland Robinson, Chris Stuart, Judith Wakim, Barbara Walton, Marvin Ernst

 

Elected Members Absent:                Linda Cundiff, Fritz Efaw, Sarla Murgai, Joe Owino, Verbie Prevost, Cheryl Robinson, Valerie Rutledge, Terry Walters

 

Ex-Officio Members Present:           Richard Brown, Bill Stacy, John Trimpey

 

Among the Guests Present:              Herb Burhenn, Lanny Janeksela, Phil Kazemersky, Mary Tanner, Sandy Zitkus

 

Call to Order:

Newly elected President Marvin Ernst called the meeting to order at 3:03 p.m.

 

After a few short remarks in way of introduction, President Ernst reminded council members to identify themselves before speaking.

 

Approval of the Minutes of September 6, 2001:

The minutes of September 6 were corrected to read that Dr. Leland Robinson made the motion to invite Hamilton County delegates to participate in a town meeting, not Dr. Verbie Prevost as recorded. Chancellor Stacy clarified his remarks concerning looking at a final compensation of “up to 6%”, not 2.5% plus an additional 2-3% as recorded.

Minutes were approved as corrected.

 

Report from the General Education Committee:

Dr. Jim Hiestand reported on a proposal from the committee that refers to the THEC 60 hour rule. The 60-hour rule does affect us but this rule does not address the skills courses such as writing, oral communication and computer literacy. These courses need to be changed to graduation requirements rather than general education requirements. The committee also proposes that the monitoring of courses teaching these skills be assigned to the Standards Committee.

President Ernst suggested that the Council not take action today on this proposal. Copies of the proposal will be distributed to council members prior to the next meeting so that action can be taken at the meeting on the 4th of October.

Dr. McCullough notes that some majors are folding the requirements into their majors. Since General Education committee looks at those programs to determine if they are meeting those guidelines; how do we verify the requirements?

Dr. Leland Robinson: Isn’t this semantics?

Dr. Hiestand commented that this proposal transfers responsibility to another committee. We need to look at improving our relationship with junior colleges since they are most affected. It also makes us more in line with the requirements.

Dr. Preble-Niemi: Foreign language has specific courses and then emphasizes those skills in the major. We need to move these courses out of general education.

Dr. Chris Stuart: Yes, it is semantics but it is also a matter of giving the students a hard time and also has to do with how we present ourselves.

President Ernst again stated that the proposal would go out for council members to study in time for the next meeting.

 

Administrative Reports

Chancellor Stacy

No report (applause)

 

Provost Trimpey

Dr. Trimpey was pleased to announce that part of the Renaissance money from Jack Lupton had been awarded to the library for updating acquisitions. Originally, $250,000 had been requested but the amount was doubled to $500,000. This is indeed good news! (applause all around)

 

Vice Chancellor Brown

Mr. Brown gave a brief report and began by saying he was enjoying saying yes and handing out money for a change. The University will close in the black this year and athletics will also close in the black, which is a first in quite a few years. Thanks to all of you for assisting in watching Nashville and the discussion of sales tax revenues. He also reported that insurance cost will be increased in January but he did not know the specifics on the amount of increase.

 

Facilities – demolition on the engineering site has begun; student housing is full; students again are being housed in hotels; plan to build an additional 500 beds for student housing; UTC was the only campus in the system that reported an enrollment increase for fall; we are also looking at renovation of Frist hall because it is an accreditation issue; we have a total of 88 projects started such as installation of elevators, roof replacement projects, etc.- As far as the Lupton money disbursements, Mr. Brown suggested that the Classroom Technology Committee look at classroom enhancements and how this can be done.

fund the notion of classroom enhancements would like to have the classroom technology committee to plan how and what to do- need input

 

Old Business

Professor Roland Carter requested that the Council and campus look at recruitment of minority faculty. Look at documentation of effort; needs to be more than a phone call; he requested that this be on the record for business this year.

Professor Preble-Niemi agreed that the department heads need to document the special efforts in this regard.

Professor Carter said that this body needs to make statement or policy.

President Ernst stated that we need to draft a resolution.

Professor Carter graciously volunteered to assist with this effort.

Professor Leland Robinson and Professor Claire McCullough will work with Professor Roland Carter and Professor Robinson will convene the group.

 

President Ernst announced to the Council that the Executive Committee will meet on Mondays prior to the Faculty Council meetings. These are open meetings and anyone may attend.

The Executive Committee will also begin breakfast meetings with the Chancellor and Provost next month. If you have any issues for us to discuss at these meetings, please get the information to one of us.

The Executive Committee will draft a charge to an adhoc committee that has yet to be established, to review the EDO process and make a recommendation to this body. This committee will have a charge from the Executive Committee with an established timeline. This adhoc committee will need to have appropriate input from faculty as well as representation from EDE, department head council and each college. The size will be approximately 13 members.

 

The Hamilton County delegation town meeting will be planned to be an open forum with these delegates. Susan Cardwell will work with Executive Committee on this.

 

President Ernst then expressed his thoughts that he hoped that the Faculty Council meetings would be an effective body that represents the voice of the faculty. During this time of discussion and review of the University mission statement we need to show how everything flows from the mission of the University. Meetings are being held for discussion and everyone is invited to participate. A revised draft of the mission statement is due to Dr. Stacy by October 16. We also hope to influence Dr. Stacy on how to spend the Lupton money appropriately. We are a quality institution and need to ask ourselves what can we do to be better?

 

New Business

None

 

Announcements

Provost – process by which Lupton funds are allocated includes that faculty participate; can you document what it can do for your program? Look at things that have been requested in the past; now is the time that perhaps those requests can be honored

 

 

Professor Preble-Niemi mentioned that the Advisory Committee for UT system Presidential search will have a forum next Wednesday from 10-11:30 in the Hall of Fame room; the purpose is to acquaint members of the council with this campus and our assets, needs, qualities, etc.; open meeting please come if you can.

 

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 3:38 p.m.

 

Submitted with fear and trembling because the tape recorder didn’t work,

 

 

Susan Davidson

Faculty Council Secretary