shorttop.jpg (1907 bytes)

THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE AT CHATTANOOGA
FACULTY COUNCIL MINUTES

September 18, 1997
Signal Mountain Room
University Center

Elected Members Present: Ralph Anderson, Jim Avery, Boris Belinsky, Mike Biderman, Tatiana Bilgildeyeva, Karen Casey, Valerie Copeland-Rutledge, Prakash Damshala, Joe Dumas, Fritz Efaw, Gene Ezell, Phil Giffin, Jim Hiestand, Renée Lorraine, Deborah McAllister, Jonathan Mies, Greg O'Dea, Verbie Prevost, John Phillips, Laurie Prather, Verbie Prevost, Farhad Raiszadeh, Marea Rankin, Rebecca Rochat, Mac Smotherman, Ann Stapleton, Vicki Steinberg, Jim Stroud, Felicia Sturzer, Larry Tillman

Elected Members Absent: Martha Butterfield, Marvin Ernst, Judy Miler, John Trimpey, Margaret Trimpey, Bruce Wallace

Ex-Officio Members Present: Sheila Delacroix, Jane Harbaugh, Charles Renneisen, George Ross, Bill Stacy, Tim Summerlin

Among the Guests Present: Richard Brown, Herb Burhenn, Lanny Janeksela, Ralph Moser, Vince Pellegrino, Cindee Pulliam

Important Actions and Announcements

****************************************************************************

*The Council passed a motion to appoint an Outreach University Committee consisting of at least two members of the present Outreach University Task Force, at least two members of the Standards Committee, and Associate Provost Jane Harbaugh and Assistant Vice Chancellor Ralph Moser, ex officio.

*A six-member Technology Innovation Committee has been appointed to consider grant proposals from faculty. The Committee will provide information about proposals and deadlines soon.

*The next Faculty Council meeting will be on Oct. 16, and will be followed by one on Oct. 30.

**************************************************************************

Processional vocal music was "Summertime," provided by student soprano Marti Fanning.

Call to Order

President Gene Ezell called the meeting to order at 3:15 PM.

Approval of Minutes

Professors Felicia Sturzer and Valerie Copeland-Rutledge moved and seconded approval of the minutes. Professor Vicki Steinberg indicated that although marked absent, she had been present at the September 4th meeting. The minutes were approved as corrected.

Construction Report: Associate Vice Chancellor Richard Brown

Associate Vice Chancellor Brown reported that construction on Fletcher Hall would be completed by late October or early November, and that tours of Fletcher would begin in a few weeks. J & J Contractors, Inc. have been engaged to renovate Metropolitan Hospital. They will begin work in mid-October, and plan a four to six month construction period. Student Health Services has been moved into the Metro Annex building. Work is also in progress to effect more comfortable, convenient and color-coded teaching environments in classrooms. President Ezell asked if there would be more left-handed desks in classrooms, and Vice Chancellor Brown answered that there is an effort to provide for special needs. On the topic of parking, Vice Chancellor Brown announced that the new Parking Deck is complete and open, and that a 50% discount has been provided for students, faculty and staff. This will make using the Parking Garage less expensive than using parking meters downtown. Vice Chancellor Brown urged liberal use of the Parking Garage. Professor Farhad Raiszadeh asked about the possibility of more General Parking spaces. Vice Chancellor Brown responded that although there is a $286,000 dollar debt on the Parking Garage, the possibility of making 500 general parking spots available in the Garage is also being considered. He relayed to the Council that UTC parking rates have not changed in 17 years, and that parking at UTK is $72 a month as opposed to UTC's $13. Professor Deborah McAllister stated that because there is little ticketing in the evening, it has been difficult for her to find a reserved parking space for her evening class, specifically in Lot 21. Vice Chancellor Brown replied that although ticketing generally stops after 4:00 PM, some lots, including Lot 21, are patrolled on a 24 hour basis. Parking Service Manager Cindee Pulliam added that there will be more ticketing in the evening. Vice Chancellor Brown noted that because ticket fines are so inexpensive, many parking "poachers" engage in a game of Russian roulette, betting that paying fines for a few tickets will be cheaper than buying a parking decal. To counteract such practices, parking fines will be doubled next year. There will be a much more modest rise in the cost of decals. Professor Marea Rankin indicated that while many faculty members are finding it difficult to get in to a parking space, she sometimes finds it impossible to get out of hers; her car is sometimes blocked by other, illegally parked vehicles in Lot 12. Vice Chancellor Brown indicated that towing is called for in such instances. Professor Larry Tillman asked if UTC has the authority to tow vehicles. The reply was yes, especially when other vehicles are blocked or when the errant vehicle has accrued more than $50 in fines. Warnings are usually given before a car is towed, however. Professor Joe Dumas suggested tripling parking fines in the future. He also remarked that students often take advantage of the two- or three-day grace period at the beginning of the semester in which warning tickets are given, and recommended that this grace period be abolished. Vice Chancellor Brown indicated that while the current thinking is that new students may need a few days to get acclimated to the UTC parking situation, he would revisit the subject with the Parking Authority. Professor Verbie Prevost stated that parking is often difficult for student visitors or other visitors to the campus. Vice Chancellor Brown responded that Admissions Director Patsy Reynolds may be contacted if visitor parking passes are needed.

Professor Felicia Sturzer indicated a wish to change the subject to elevator concerns. The elevator in Brock Hall, she reported, often stops between floors, trapping its inhabitants for extended periods of time. She was recently trapped in said elevator with a few other people, one of whom was physically disabled. She used the emergency elevator telephone to report the problem, and was instructed to jump up and down in the elevator. This suggested remedy proved ineffective. (Fortunately, the elevator eventually moved on its own.) Vice Chancellor Brown promised to address this problem. Professor Stroud reported that the elevator in the Fine Arts Center gives rise to similar frustrations.

Committee Reports

Executive Committee

President Ezell announced that Professors Valerie Copeland-Rutledge and Diane Halstead were elected to the Council from The College of Education and Applied Professional Studies and School of Business Administration respectively. He reported that a new Technology Innovation Committee will include members of the present Classroom Technology Committee. He reminded Council members that October Council meetings will be on Oct. 16 and Oct. 30. He then moved that an ad hoc Faculty Council Outreach University Committee be appointed consisting of at least two members of the present Outreach University Task Force, at least two members of the Standards Committee, and Associate Provost Jane Harbaugh and Assistant Vice Chancellor Ralph Moser, ex officio. Professor Ralph Anderson asked what the responsibilities of this Committee would be. President Ezell replied that the Committee would be implementing flexible instructional formats and innovative ways to offer degree programs to nontraditional or new students. In response to an inquiry, Acting Provost Summerlin noted that these goals were presently being addressed by the Outreach University Task Force. President Ezell stated that the Council had asked last year for a feasibility study of the Outreach University concept, and that the proposed Committee would be charged with implementation of Outreach University. Professor Hiestand asked how the Committee would be appointed, and President Ezell replied that the Executive Committee would make recommendations to the Council. The motion to appoint the Committee passed by voice vote with two abstentions.

Committee on Committees

Professor Prevost asked for a nomination for a Faculty Council representative to the Graduate Council (to replace Professor Barbara Ray). Professor Greg O'Dea nominated Professor Marea Rankin. Professors Stroud and Avery moved and seconded that the nominations cease, and Professor Rankin was elected by acclamation.

Old and New Business

There was no old business. Under new business, Professor Fritz Efaw, who was speaking both for himself and as a Faculty Council representative, expressed a concern about the memo sent last summer instructing faculty members to report to campus two weeks before classes began. He stated that it has been traditional to report one week before classes begin, and hopes that this year's action will not set a precedent. Because the Handbook indicates that faculty members should be on campus early enough to address departmental business, Professor Efaw felt it should be the prerogative of department heads to determine when their department members should report back to campus; the upper administration should not infringe on this prerogative. Professor Efaw was also concerned that letters of reappointment have not been sent out recently, and noted that this had been mentioned at a Council meeting last year. Professor Jim Hiestand agreed that it should not be necessary for faculty members to report two weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. The Handbook states that faculty should report to campus a reasonable period before classes begin, and one week has traditionally been regarded as reasonable. Further, the memo in question appeared in July, when many faculty members had already made plans for the rest of the summer. Professor Hiestand added that from the perspective of an outside contractor, the worth of faculty members' hourly salaries would decrease if hours were added to their workloads without increasing their annual salaries.

Announcements (and further concerns)

Professor Tatiana Bilgildeyeva expressed strongly her concern that there is a need for more help at the Computer Help Desk. She noted that a particularly competent student had resigned from the Help Desk. Professor Sturzer shared this concern, stating that there has been an enormous number of problems and general mass confusion associated with the Help Desk. Professor McAllister reported that there is a position opening for a Manager of the Help Desk. Vice Chancellor George Ross indicated that this position should be filled soon. Professor Jim Avery wished to clarify to the faculty that all faculty members are automatically members of the Faculty Club; one does not need to be an Associate of the Club in order to have lunch or happy hour there. (Associates enjoy privileges such as discounts and use of facilities after hours.) Afternoons in the Club are particularly quiet and pleasant, and there are plenty of beverages available. Professor Avery and his colleagues at the Club will continue to offer enticements to get more faculty involved.

Chancellor's Report

Chancellor Stacy reported that the prediction of a 2% raise in January appears to be a sure thing, and that there is also a likelihood of a raise in the next academic year. He further reported that President Joe Johnson has witnessed the need for shelving, carpeting and furniture in the Library, and that we will be moving ahead in that area. Finally, a six-person peer review committee has been appointed to consider technological needs of individual faculty members. The Committee will be chaired by Professor Greg Grant. Requests may be made relating to teaching, research or service, and need not be limited to computer technology. Professor Mike Biderman asked if grant proposals from faculty would be called for. The Chancellor answered that a simple, one page form would be submitted to the Committee indicating what was needed and why. Professor Randy Whitson asked if the $150,000 technology innovation fund was for only one year or would be continued in future years. The Chancellor responded that the Committee will review what is accomplished the first year and make recommendations concerning further funding. (The Committee could request another $150,000 or $250,000 for the following year, for example).

Adjournment

President Ezell adjourned the meeting at 4:00 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

 

Renée Cox Lorraine

 

Cartoons dedicated to campus committees

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thank you for that unique and refreshing point of view. Now,

if there are no objections, it's time we returned to the agreed-

upon agenda.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE AT CHATTANOOGA FACULTY COUNCIL MINUTES

 

 

September 18, 1997Signal Mountain RoomUniversity Center

 

Elected Members Present: Ralph Anderson, Jim Avery, Boris Belinsky, Mike Biderman, Tatiana Bilgildeyeva, Karen Casey, Valerie Copeland-Rutledge, Prakash Damshala, Joe Dumas, Fritz Efaw, Gene Ezell, Phil Giffin, Jim Hiestand, Renée Lorraine, Deborah McAllister, Jonathan Mies, Greg O'Dea, Verbie Prevost, John Phillips, Laurie Prather, Verbie Prevost, Farhad Raiszadeh, Marea Rankin, Rebecca Rochat, Mac Smotherman, Ann Stapleton, Vicki Steinberg, Jim Stroud, Felicia Sturzer, Larry Tillman

 

Elected Members Absent: Martha Butterfield, Marvin Ernst, Judy Miler, John Trimpey, Margaret Trimpey, Bruce Wallace

 

Ex-Officio Members Present: Sheila Delacroix, Jane Harbaugh, Charles Renneisen, George Ross, Bill Stacy, Tim Summerlin

 

 

Among the Guests Present: Richard Brown, Herb Burhenn, Lanny Janeksela, Ralph Moser, Vince Pellegrino, Cindee Pulliam

 

Important Actions and Announcements

****************************************************************************

*The Council passed a motion to appoint an Outreach University Committee consisting of at least two members of the present Outreach University Task Force, at least two members of the Standards Committee, and Associate Provost Jane Harbaugh and Assistant Vice Chancellor Ralph Moser, ex officio.

*A six-member Technology Innovation Committee has been appointed to consider grant proposals from faculty. The Committee will provide information about proposals and deadlines soon.

*The next Faculty Council meeting will be on Oct. 16, and will be followed by one on Oct. 30.

**************************************************************************

 

Processional vocal music was "Summertime," provided by student soprano Marti Fanning.

Call to Order

President Gene Ezell called the meeting to order at 3:15 PM.

 

Approval of Minutes

Professors Felicia Sturzer and Valerie Copeland-Rutledge moved and seconded approval of the minutes. Professor Vicki Steinberg indicated that although marked absent, she had been present at the September 4th meeting. The minutes were approved as corrected.

 

Construction Report: Associate Vice Chancellor Richard Brown

Associate Vice Chancellor Brown reported that construction on Fletcher Hall would be completed by late October or early November, and that tours of Fletcher would begin in a few weeks. J & J Contractors, Inc. have been engaged to renovate Metropolitan Hospital. They will begin work in mid-October, and plan a four to six month construction period. Student Health Services has been moved into the Metro Annex building. Work is also in progress to effect more comfortable, convenient and color-coded teaching environments in classrooms. President Ezell asked if there would be more left-handed desks in classrooms, and Vice Chancellor Brown answered that there is an effort to provide for special needs. On the topic of parking, Vice Chancellor Brown announced that the new Parking Deck is complete and open, and that a 50% discount has been provided for students, faculty and staff. This will make using the Parking Garage less expensive than using parking meters downtown. Vice Chancellor Brown urged liberal use of the Parking Garage. Professor Farhad Raiszadeh asked about the possibility of more General Parking spaces. Vice Chancellor Brown responded that although there is a $286,000 dollar debt on the Parking Garage, the possibility of making 500 general parking spots available in the Garage is also being considered. He relayed to the Council that UTC parking rates have not changed in 17 years, and that parking at UTK is $72 a month as opposed to UTC's $13. Professor Deborah McAllister stated that because there is little ticketing in the evening, it has been difficult for her to find a reserved parking space for her evening class, specifically in Lot 21. Vice Chancellor Brown replied that although ticketing generally stops after 4:00 PM, some lots, including Lot 21, are patrolled on a 24 hour basis. Parking Service Manager Cindee Pulliam added that there will be more ticketing in the evening. Vice Chancellor Brown noted that because ticket fines are so inexpensive, many parking "poachers" engage in a game of Russian roulette, betting that paying fines for a few tickets will be cheaper than buying a parking decal. To counteract such practices, parking fines will be doubled next year. There will be a much more modest rise in the cost of decals. Professor Marea Rankin indicated that while many faculty members are finding it difficult to get in to a parking space, she sometimes finds it impossible to get out of hers; her car is sometimes blocked by other, illegally parked vehicles in Lot 12. Vice Chancellor Brown indicated that towing is called for in such instances. Professor Larry Tillman asked if UTC has the authority to tow vehicles. The reply was yes, especially when other vehicles are blocked or when the errant vehicle has accrued more than $50 in fines. Warnings are usually given before a car is towed, however. Professor Joe Dumas suggested tripling parking fines in the future. He also remarked that students often take advantage of the two- or three-day grace period at the beginning of the semester in which warning tickets are given, and recommended that this grace period be abolished. Vice Chancellor Brown indicated that while the current thinking is that new students may need a few days to get acclimated to the UTC parking situation, he would revisit the subject with the Parking Authority. Professor Verbie Prevost stated that parking is often difficult for student visitors or other visitors to the campus. Vice Chancellor Brown responded that Admissions Director Patsy Reynolds may be contacted if visitor parking passes are needed.

Professor Felicia Sturzer indicated a wish to change the subject to elevator concerns. The elevator in Brock Hall, she reported, often stops between floors, trapping its inhabitants for extended periods of time. She was recently trapped in said elevator with a few other people, one of whom was physically disabled. She used the emergency elevator telephone to report the problem, and was instructed to jump up and down in the elevator. This suggested remedy proved ineffective. (Fortunately, the elevator eventually moved on its own.) Vice Chancellor Brown promised to address this problem. Professor Stroud reported that the elevator in the Fine Arts Center gives rise to similar frustrations.

 

Committee Reports

Executive Committee

President Ezell announced that Professors Valerie Copeland-Rutledge and Diane Halstead were elected to the Council from The College of Education and Applied Professional Studies and School of Business Administration respectively. He reported that a new Technology Innovation Committee will include members of the present Classroom Technology Committee. He reminded Council members that October Council meetings will be on Oct. 16 and Oct. 30. He then moved that an ad hoc Faculty Council Outreach University Committee be appointed consisting of at least two members of the present Outreach University Task Force, at least two members of the Standards Committee, and Associate Provost Jane Harbaugh and Assistant Vice Chancellor Ralph Moser, ex officio. Professor Ralph Anderson asked what the responsibilities of this Committee would be. President Ezell replied that the Committee would be implementing flexible instructional formats and innovative ways to offer degree programs to nontraditional or new students. In response to an inquiry, Acting Provost Summerlin noted that these goals were presently being addressed by the Outreach University Task Force. President Ezell stated that the Council had asked last year for a feasibility study of the Outreach University concept, and that the proposed Committee would be charged with implementation of Outreach University. Professor Hiestand asked how the Committee would be appointed, and President Ezell replied that the Executive Committee would make recommendations to the Council. The motion to appoint the Committee passed by voice vote with two abstentions.

 

Committee on Committees

Professor Prevost asked for a nomination for a Faculty Council representative to the Graduate Council (to replace Professor Barbara Ray). Professor Greg O'Dea nominated Professor Marea Rankin. Professors Stroud and Avery moved and seconded that the nominations cease, and Professor Rankin was elected by acclamation.

 

Old and New Business

There was no old business. Under new business, Professor Fritz Efaw, who was speaking both for himself and as a Faculty Council representative, expressed a concern about the memo sent last summer instructing faculty members to report to campus two weeks before classes began. He stated that it has been traditional to report one week before classes begin, and hopes that this year's action will not set a precedent. Because the Handbook indicates that faculty members should be on campus early enough to address departmental business, Professor Efaw felt it should be the prerogative of department heads to determine when their department members should report back to campus; the upper administration should not infringe on this prerogative. Professor Efaw was also concerned that letters of reappointment have not been sent out recently, and noted that this had been mentioned at a Council meeting last year. Professor Jim Hiestand agreed that it should not be necessary for faculty members to report two weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. The Handbook states that faculty should report to campus a reasonable period before classes begin, and one week has traditionally been regarded as reasonable. Further, the memo in question appeared in July, when many faculty members had already made plans for the rest of the summer. Professor Hiestand added that from the perspective of an outside contractor, the worth of faculty members' hourly salaries would decrease if hours were added to their workloads without increasing their annual salaries.

 

Announcements (and further concerns)

Professor Tatiana Bilgildeyeva expressed strongly her concern that there is a need for more help at the Computer Help Desk. She noted that a particularly competent student had resigned from the Help Desk. Professor Sturzer shared this concern, stating that there has been an enormous number of problems and general mass confusion associated with the Help Desk. Professor McAllister reported that there is a position opening for a Manager of the Help Desk. Vice Chancellor George Ross indicated that this position should be filled soon. Professor Jim Avery wished to clarify to the faculty that all faculty members are automatically members of the Faculty Club; one does not need to be an Associate of the Club in order to have lunch or happy hour there. (Associates enjoy privileges such as discounts and use of facilities after hours.) Afternoons in the Club are particularly quiet and pleasant, and there are plenty of beverages available. Professor Avery and his colleagues at the Club will continue to offer enticements to get more faculty involved.

 

Chancellor's Report

Chancellor Stacy reported that the prediction of a 2% raise in January appears to be a sure thing, and that there is also a likelihood of a raise in the next academic year. He further reported that President Joe Johnson has witnessed the need for shelving, carpeting and furniture in the Library, and that we will be moving ahead in that area. Finally, a six-person peer review committee has been appointed to consider technological needs of individual faculty members. The Committee will be chaired by Professor Greg Grant. Requests may be made relating to teaching, research or service, and need not be limited to computer technology. Professor Mike Biderman asked if grant proposals from faculty would be called for. The Chancellor answered that a simple, one page form would be submitted to the Committee indicating what was needed and why. Professor Randy Whitson asked if the $150,000 technology innovation fund was for only one year or would be continued in future years. The Chancellor responded that the Committee will review what is accomplished the first year and make recommendations concerning further funding. (The Committee could request another $150,000 or $250,000 for the following year, for example).

Adjournment

President Ezell adjourned the meeting at 4:00 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Renée Cox Lorraine

 

Cartoons dedicated to campus committees

 

Thank you for that unique and refreshing point of view. Now,

if there are no objections, it's time we returned to the agreed-

upon agenda.

top.gif (189 bytes)