shorttop.jpg (1907 bytes)

THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE AT CHATTANOOGA
FACULTY COUNCIL MINUTES

September 5, 1996
Signal Mountain Room
University Center

Elected Members Present: Ralph Anderson, Mary Brabston, Martha Butterfield, Prakash Damshala, Joe Dumas, Fritz Efaw, Marvin Ernst, Gene Ezell, Leroy Fanning,Jim Hiestand, Bruce Hutchinson, Tom Kozubowski,RenŽe Lorraine, Deborah McAllister, Bob Marlowe, Gail Meyer, Judy Miler, John Phillips, Verbie Prevost, Bill Prince, Farhad Raiszadeh, Barbara Ray, Mike Russell, David Shepherd, Joyce Smith, Jim Stroud, Larry Tillman, Joe Trahan, John Trimpey, Margaret Trimpey, Shela Van Ness, Bruce Wallace

Elected Members Absent: Tatiana Bilgildeyeva, Robert Duffy, Kristin Switala

Ex-Officio Members Present: Fred Obear, Charles Renneisen, George Ross, Tim Summerlin

Among the Guests Present: Richard Brown, Herb Burhenn, Terry Carney, Carolyn Mitchell

Approval of Minutes

Professors Ken Carson and Margaret Trimpey moved and seconded approval of the minutes of April 18 and April 23, 1996. Dean Charles Renneisen indicated that the Speakers and Special Events Committee report of the April 18 minutes (p. 3) was incorrect in stating that "no student members attended the [ committee's] meetings." Professor Martha Butterfield corrected the statement to read that "student members attended the meetings infrequently." Professor Gail Meyer stated that in the second paragraph of page 2 of the same minutes, her question about "courses listed at the 300-level at the community college level" should read "200 level" instead of "300 level." Both sets of minutes were approved as corrected.

Elections

President Ezell asked for nominations for Parliamentarian of the Council. Professor James Stroud nominated Professor Jim Hiestand. Professor Martha Butterfield moved that Professor Hiestand be electd by acclamation. The motion was seconded, and Professor Hiestand was elected Parliamentarian by acclamation. President Ezell then announced that Professor Ken Carson had resigned as First Vice President of the Council due to newly assigned duties. He asked for nominations for this office. Professor Gail Meyer nominated Professor Verbie Prevost. Professors Stroud and Hiestand moved and seconded that the nominations be closed. Professor Prevost was elected First Vice President and Chair of the Committee on Committees by voice vote.

Committee Reports

Executive Committee

President Ezell reported that he had received complaints about the new student evaluation forms. Acting Dean Herb Burhenn, for example, has expressed dissatisfaction with the forms on behalf of Arts and Sciences Deptartment Heads. Comments were that the forms should include more than one mandatory evaluation statement, that the responses to this statement were likely to be difficult to interpret and might not be valid, that the instrument does not provide sufficient diagnostic information for counseling, and that we should consider a commercially available instrument of evaluation. It was also suggested that the evaluation process should occur closer to the end of the semester. Assistant Vice Chancelor Ralph Moser added that an outside consultant had opined that if a faculty member were dismissed on the basis of these forms, the University "wouldn't have a leg to stand on" if challenged. President Ezell asked the Committee on Student Evaluation of Faculty to consider these concerns about the present evaluation instrument.

Professor Mike Russell responded that as far as having one mandatory evaluation statement is concerned, the administration has traditionally concentrated on only one statement in past instruments ["The instructor is an effective teacher"]. He feels that we should not be precipitous in making a change. Professor Ken Carson remarked that it is difficult to determine whether data are valid or invalid in such instruments, and that we should not necessarily be guided by opinions of outside consultants. Professor Fritz Efaw pointed out that there was not one question but eleven questions on the instrument. He also commented that we should bear in mind that outside consultants would have a financial interest in rejecting our present means of evaluation. Professor Ralph Anderson noted that the present instrument encourages extensive comment from students. Acting Provost Summerlin remarked that it is not the case that the administration is interested only in one evaluation statement; a low rating on "instructor respects students" would be noted and addressed, for example.

President Ezell then asked Professor David Shepherd to comment on the Faculty Rating of Administration survey. Professor Shepherd reported that the traditionally low return on the survey was probably due in part to the unfamiliarity of many faculty members with the performance of the upper administration in certain areas. He suggested that the questions about these administrators should be fewer and broader (i. e., "Does the Provost seem accessible?"). Professor Russell stated that he has not yet filled out these forms because we have not yet been told who would have access to the forms. Would a department head have access to the evaluation forms of his or her department members? Professor Martha Butterfield reported that UTK has a precise procedure and time table for evaluation of administrators. Acting Provost Summerlin indicated his agreement with Professor Shepherd that the forms were too long. In response to Professor Russell, he suggested that administrators should get typed summaries of comments of faculty comments so that handwriting will not be recognized. These comments should be used in the EDO evaluations of administrators. Acting Provost Summerlin stated he would work with the Faculty Rating of Administration Committee on concerns about the instrument, and will await a call from Professor Shepherd.

President Ezell asked the Council if they would be interested in having the UTC faculty surveyed on general needs and concerns. Similar surveys at other UT campuses have indicated interest in more extensive networking and computer access and upgrades. The Executive Committee will continue to discuss the possibility of such a survey.

President Ezell asked University Librarian Sheila Delacroix to report on the results of the Library survey. Professor Delacroix indicated that the survey has served as an effective means of communication and will help promote library accountability and effectiveness. Of 301 survey forms sent to faculty, 115 were returned; 593 forms were returned of 1109 sent to students. Faculty data were analyzed first. Seventy per cent of the faculty indicated they can access at least some library resources from their offices. The majority used library facilities at least "occasionally." The over-all satisfaction level was 50-60% ("satisfied" or "very satisfied.") Not surprisingly, the most dissatisfaction expressed was with collections; 68% of respondents were dissatisfied with the number and selection of collections of serials and other materials, and 59% were dissatisfied with the currency (or lack thereof) of book titles. "More" of everything was requested--books, journals, computers, data bases, copiers, personnel, etc. The greatest strength of the library reported in the survey was the superior holdings of older materials, such as those from 1900 to 1950. (Students were also concerned with the lack of current book titles. One student indicated frustration with only being able to find books from the early 1900's; another said that of the two books he had checked out, both had been falling apart; another asserted that we should get more current and scholarly materials, and "no more 1964 Barry Goldwater crap." The Secretary asked whether it was appropriate to put the term "crap" in the minutes. Professor Tom Bibler responded that Faculty Council secretaries had been putting crap in the minutes for years.)

Committee on Committees

Professor Ken Carson, former First Vice-President and Chair of the Committee on Committees, apologized for not getting the Faculty Council committee list out last Spring. He pleaded ignorance of the distribution policy, and assured the Council that he would see to it that newly-elected Chair Gail Meyer would get next year's list out promptly. He reported that Professor Larry Ingle had replaced Professor Mike Russell on the General Education Committee, and that Professors Gavin Townsend and Peter Gerschefski had been added to the Committee as well. Professor Kristin Switala (replacing Professor Anne Hunt, on sabbatical) and part-time faculty member Jenny Smith will serve on the Part-Time Faculty Committee. Professor Kathy Smith has been added to the Admissions Committee. University Librarian Delacroix has been added to the ad hoc Tenure and Promotion Dossier Committee. Professor Townsend has been added to the Faculty Club Committee. Professor Bill Hall will not be serving on the Faculty Rating of Administration Committee. Professor Joe Dumas will replace Professor Phil Kazemersky in the Engineering and Computer Science Division of the Faculty Council. All references to former Provost Grayson Walker in the committee list should be replaced with Acting Provost Tim Summerlin. The committee list was approved as amended.

Convocation Committee

Professor Bill Butterfield, chair of the Convocation Committee, began his report by remarking that contrary to a student's suggestion in the library survey, we should retain all of our Barry Goldwater library holdings because Goldwater is beginning to seem more and more like a liberal. Moving to the business at hand, he announced that Convocation will be held on Wednesday, October 2, from 10:00 am until noon, most likely in Maclellan Gym. Convocation itself will not last two hours; it should take twenty to thirty minutes to assemble, and there will be plenty of time for students to meet their 12:00 classes. Students should be instructed to attend their 10:00 classes and then proceed to Maclellan Gym with their professors. All 11:00 classes are canceled. Holocaust survivor Zev Kedem, who will address the Convocation, is reportedly a moving and uplifting speaker (see attached, "Convocation 1996"). Professor Butterfield and various Council members expressed the hope that students would not leave early, wander around, or make noise during the Convocation address. He also urged faculty to wear academic regalia. Professor Tom Bibler expressed embarrassment that only a handful of professors don their regalia at Convocation. Professor Ralph Anderson moved and Shela Van Ness seconded the motion that faculty be urged to wear academic regalia, whether they sit in a group or with their students. Professor Bob Marlowe asked why this was necessary. The regalia has nothing to do with what is being addressed at Convocation; why not dress as regular people? Professor Jim Stroud feels that the regalia symbolizes respect for our guest and for our calling as educators. Professor Van Ness believes the regalia can be an important aspect of much-needed community rituals. The motion to encourage faculty to wear academic regalia to Convocation passed by voice vote. [A few gowns are available on loan from the Chancellor's Office, but they are reportedly not in top condition.]

Faculty Club Committee

Committee chair Tom Bibler reported that organizing a Faculty Club is more complicated than was originally anticipated. For the Club to have access to liquor, an incorporated Faculty Association must be formed. The Association will then lease the first floor of Patton House, part of which will serve as the Club. Marriott will serve as agent for the Association and manage the liquor in the first year. Furniture selection has been made and approved; bids will be sought beginning on September 10th. It is hoped the Club will be furnished by the end of September, but it could take longer. A full agenda of activities is planned for the Club, including "lunch and riotous parties." Membership in the Club or Association will be available to all faculty members; membership cards will be issued. Professor Joyce Smith asked if part-time faculty would be eligible for membership. Professor Bibler responded that the Committee had every intention of including part-time faculty. Professor Stroud asked for a prediction as to when the facilities will be available. "Sometime this semester," Professor Bibler answered. Chancellor Obear remarked that the facilities could be used before the interior decorating is completed.

Administrative Reports

Chancellor's Report

Chancellor Fred Obear reported that the Task Force on Mascot Identification is in operation and making progress. The sixteen member Task Force, which includes eight students, is chaired by Assistant * Tom Losh. Outside consultants will be contacted about logos or marketing images. The Task Force should conclude their deliberations by the end of the semester. Professor Hiestand asked why there is only one faculty member on the Task Force. Chancellor Obear responded that the faculty member, Professor Nick Honerkamp, is a particularly strong representative. Professor Bruce Wallace asked if other individuals could be added to the Task Force. Chancellor Obear indicated he would consider such requests.

Chancellor Obear will announce next week the appointment of the Blue/Gold Ribbon Committee, which will consider the future of athletics at UTC. The Committee will be chaired by Professor Paul Watson. It will include four subcommittees: one on the role, scope and mission of the athletics program (chair to be appointed), one on resources and financing (chaired by Professor Marilyn Helms), one on image and public relations (chaired by Professor Peter Pringle), and one on facilities (chaired by Professor Terry Butler). The Blue/Gold Ribbon Committee will report to the Strategic Planning Committee by the end of the year.

On the topic of enrollment, Chancellor Obear reported that while we are down one-half per cent in head count, we are up one per cent in FTE's. (We are down in head count and up in FTE's in both undergraduate and undergraduate programs, although head count in undergraduate programs is down only very slightly.) Retention is strong this year, particularly among residents. Although new minority enrollment is down, overall minority student enrollment is up due to strong retention. New transfer enrollment is down. Our funding formula is based on FTE's, which as noted have grown by one percent. Because the projected budget was based on three per cent growth, however, the budget will need to be revised and reallocated.

The 20th Century Campaign is in the fourth year of a five-year campaign, and has earned over $22 million. The Campaign is now moving into its alumni phase, and the Chancellor expects that the projected goal of $25 million will be exceeded. Most of the funds raised will be allocated to the UC Foundation.

Provost's Report

Acting Provost Tim Summerlin was pleased to announce that UTC has received a Tennessee performance funding score of 93, the highest of all four-year institutions in the state. Further, a survey in US News and World Report ranked UTC the "third best value in the Southern region," after the Citadel and Murray State University. US News and World Report also ranked the UTC Engineering School 30th in the country among non-PhD granting institutions. Acting Dean of Engineering and Computer Science Greg Sedrick remarked that he had 100 copies of the report on hand if anyone wanted to examine it. Professor Russell noted that this is the first time UTC has been named in these surveys. Professor Martha Butterfield suggested that we publicize this information widely, especially around the Knoxville area.

Acting Provost Summerlin then announced that Professor Galan Janeksela has been appointed Dean of Health and Human Services. Acting Deans for this year are Professor Greg Sedrick in Engineering and Computer Science and Professor Herb Burhenn in Arts and Sciences. Professor Don Klinefelter is Acting Head of Philosophy and Religion and Professor Terry Carney is Acting Head of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. Professor Deborah Arfken has been appointed Assistant Provost for Graduate Studies, Professor Clint Smullen is Acting Director of CECA, and Professor Leila Pratt is the new Coordinator of Women's Studies.

Budget Update

Assistant Vice Chancellor George Ross distributed a budget summary that includes the actual 1995, probable 1996, and proposed 1997 UTC budgets (see attached). He reported that this year's budget is in the process of revision. He noted that this is the first time the Educational and General Funds budget has exceeded $60 million. Because we are slightly down in enrollment, he is discussing reallocation of the proposed budget with Division heads. Maclellan Gym is a budget priority. As predicted, a three per cent salary raise has been approved for the campus. (The Governor approved two per cent from the State last July 1; the remaining one per cent will be funded by student fee increases). How the three per cent is distributed is determined by the Administration. A new technology fee of fifteen dollars per semester is now required of students. The fees are currently being used for campus cabling, which should be completed within 18-24 months. There are also plans for a student computer lab in the University Center, and CECA has long-range plans for a cutting-edge computer lab. The Student Programs and Services fee was raised slightly, and will be used for intramurals and gender equity in athletics. A student "One Card" (ID card) may now be used to pay for various services such as copying, the Bookstore, food services, vending, and eventually, student garage parking, Arena events, and some local merchants. The One Card is also be available to faculty and staff, and presently may be used for food services and the Bookstore. (One Cards can be processed in the ID office, first floor University Center.)

Professor Hiestand asked if the years 1995, 1996, and 1997 on the budget summary were calendar or fiscal years. Assistant Vice Chancellor Ross answered that they were fiscal years (July to June), and that we are now in fiscal 1997. Professor Delacroix asked if the new minimum wage law will apply to student workers. Mr. Ross answered yes, and that departments' student budgets will unfortunately be charged for the increase. Professor John Trimpey asked when the revised budget for this year will be available. Mr. Ross responded that there should be a Treasurer's report within the next two weeks, after which he will be able to provide more detailed budget documentation to the Council. Professor Trimpey also wondered why the Auxiliary Enterprise Funds had dropped $200,000 in 1996. Mr. Ross indicated he would check on that point and report back to the Council.

Facilities Update

Assistant Vice Chancellor Richard Brown, who was as always impeccably attired, reported that construction on Maclellan Gym was 85% complete and that construction on Fletcher Hall was 30% complete. At some point, parking on the north side of 5th Street will be blocked for the "precast" of the parking garage. A proposed redesign for Metropolitan Hospital exceeded the designated budget by about $700,000, so the Hospital design project has been sent back to the drawing board. Construction on Phase 2 of the new student housing project is 55% complete. $One million has been allocated from capital maintenance for roof repairs.

Professor Bruce Hutchinson asked when Metropolitan Hospital will be available for use. Mr. Brown said he hoped it would be ready by next semester. Professor Martha Butterfield, who had examined the proposed blueprints for the Hospital, expressed concern that there might not be space for rest rooms in the Nursing section of the building. She suggested Mr. Brown could get a deal on bed-side commodes. Mr. Brown assured Professor Butterfield that rest rooms would be provided for the Nursing Department.

Old Business

President Ezell announced that Professors Roger Thompson and Charles White, past and present Chairs of the Academic Standards Committee, will give a report on the 30/60 hour rule at the next Faculty Meeting. (See Catalog, p. 23.) President Ezell also stressed that it was important to distinguish between textbook adoption guidelines (recommednations are to attempt to keep costs down, to attempt to use a text at least two years, etc.) and the Custom Publishing policy for classroom materials (through the Bookstore). President Ezell will report further on these matters during the course of the semester.

New Business and Adjournment

There was no new business. The meeting was adjourned at 5:04 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

 Renee Cox Lorraine

(Renee-Lorraine@utc.edu)

Secretary

top.gif (189 bytes)