shorttop.jpg (1907 bytes)

THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE AT CHATTANOOGA
FACULTY COUNCIL MINUTES

November 2, 1995
Signal Mountain Room
University Center

ELECTED MEMBERS PRESENT: Tom Bibler, Mary Brabston, Martha Butterfield, Ken Carson, Prem hopra, Betsy Cook, Neal Coulter, Robert Duffy, Ahmed Eltom, Leroy Fanning, Nick Honerkamp, Bruce Hutchinson, Phil Kazemersky, Doug Kingdon, Tom Kozubowski, John Lynch, Jim Macomber, Gail Meyer, Anna Panorska, Tom Payne, John Phillips, Verbie Prevost, Bill Prince, Barbara Ray, Katherine Rehyansky, Mike Russell, Joyce Smith, Maria Smith, Kristin Switala, Margaret Trimpey, Sally Young, Shela Van Ness

ELECTED MEMBERS ABSENT: Shawn Evans, Eric Lane, Renée Lorraine, Jim McDonell

EX-OFFICIO MEMBERS PRESENT: Sheila Delacroix, Charles Renneisen, Grayson Walker

AMONG THE GUESTS PRESENT: Richard Brown, Ralph Moser, Sarla Murgai, Alan Rabin, Marea Rankin

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 3:18 by President Martha Butterfield.

Approval of Minutes

Professor Neal Coulter said that he was present, not absent as noted. The minutes were approved as circulated.

Committee Reports

Ad Hoc Committee on the Honor Court

Chair Tom Bibler reported that the addition we approved at the last meeting is not acceptable. Attorney Karen Holt said that there should be no communication between the Student Conduct Board and the Honor Court until after both have met and set their own penalties. We can ask them to meet after both have made their decisions if we want to.

The rationale for this decision is that there are two infractions; therefore, there should be two separate hearings. Karen Holt thought that Dean MacDougall could handle making sure that the student fulfills both penalties.

President Butterfield asked if we needed to modify the recommendations further. Professor Robert Duffy asked about reporting the uncontested F grade. Professor Bibler said that Karen Holt had no problem with that. Professor Duffy wondered whether that record would be passed on to the adjudicator. Professor Bibler said it would be, and that Karen Holt had thought the student should be told so. President Butterfield asked if we needed to clarify the amendment to meet Holt’s approval. Professor Ahmed Eltom asked if a professor should report failure of part of a course because of student cheating. Professor Bibler responded, "Yes."

Professor Gail Meyer explained that she asks students to sign a paper that they have accepted an F instead of going to the Honor Court. She will now add that she will report the F to the Honor Court.

Professor Russell asked if it was not a question of repeat offenders. He recalls that there is a specific punishment for first offenders and thinks that the penalty ought to be greater for repeat offenders. In the matter of the communication between the Student Conduct Board and the Honor Court, we have to go with what the lawyer tells us. Professor Russell moved repealing the amendment made the last time which read, "Whichever body adjudicates the case first communicates its action to the other." Professor Leroy Fanning seconded the motion, which passed by voice vote. Council asked Professor Bibler to add a clarifying statement on number 4, "The student should be notified that the ‘F’ for cheating will be reported to the Honor Court and constitute a first offense."

Professor Russell admitted that he is still upset about the biology break-in because not much happened to the offenders. He would press charges if someone broke into his office and encourages other faculty to do the same. President Butterfield thanked him for his comments.

Report of the Handbook Committee

Professor Nick Honerkamp, chair, explained that the only items on the handout needing action were numbers 2, 4a, and 5. The committee did not act on the others for the reasons stated.

Professor Bruce Hutchinson said that he is concerned about the wording of 4a. He is afraid that infractions will not be reported if professors wait until the next semester. In fact, professors involved might be on leave or have taken jobs elsewhere. Professor Gail Meyer argued that the wording puts faculty on notice at the beginning of the semester to report infractions throughout the semester.

Professor Honerkamp said that in the first line of section 4a, the text should read "students" and "actions." Professor Duffy wondered if we should add that the student be notified that his F will be passed on to the Honor Court. Professor Honerkamp explained that faculty do not have to report infractions; that is why the wording says "strongly encouraged." Professor Shela Van Ness asked if the phrase about the F being reported to the Honor Court should be added to the Student Handbook. Professor Honerkamp asked if she meant should 4a have a parallel in the Student Handbook. Dean Charles Renneisen said that it could be added. Professor Honerkamp asked if the Council wished that the 4a section be added to the Student Handbook. This makes formal an informal procedure and does not imply that a faculty member must go to the Honor Court.

President Butterfield asked if there were any questions on point 2. Formerly there had been two committees. There were no questions.

President Butterfield then asked what was being changed in point 5. Professor Honerkamp explained that the membership statement in the procedures section is a reiteration of another section. President Butterfield asked if it was simply an editing matter. Professor Bibler recommended that point 5 simply be an editorial change. There was no objection.

President Butterfield asked for a motion on points 4a and 2. Professor Doug Kingdon moved approval of the two points, and Professor Bruce Hutchinson seconded the motion, which passed by voice vote.

Professor Honerkamp asked if Council wanted him to take any other matters back to the committee. Council made no suggestions.

Report from the Executive Committee

President Butterfield thanked Barbara Verhine for going through past minutes to find how students’ written comments made during evaluation of the faculty could be used. In the minutes of March 26, 1992, the Student Rating of Faculty Committee report read:

E. Written student comments

1. It is to be made clear to students that their original written comments will be forwarded to the faculty member.

2. Written student comments are not to be copied or filed by anyone other than the faculty member involved and are not to be treated as a public record. The faculty member may, however, make these comments part of the public record by submitting them as part of his or her dossier for promotion, tenure, or other purposes.

Later in the document, under "Change in Distribution of Student Ratings," the report states:

Our view is that written comments by individuals take on a special power and effect which, when unevaluated and unexplained, may well overwhelm a proper judgment of student opinion that arises from the class as a whole. While written comments may have some value for the faculty member, they have little for anyone else and have a mischief-making potential if they languish in a personnel file unevaluated. We propose, then, that they never be copied and that they pass directly to the faculty member, to be used as he or she chooses. This is not to say that deans and department heads may not see written comments in a limited time frame of the evaluation distribution.

She hoped that this would clarify some of the questions which came up at this summer’s workshop on evaluation.

Old Business

With respect to the purchase of Metropolitan Hospital, Provost Grayson Walker commented, "We’re trying to get the lead out—literally!" Eli Fly has told him that the contract has been agreed upon and will be signed soon. When President Butterfield asked if a date had been set, Mr. Richard Brown said they hoped it would be later this month.

Mr. Brown further reported that Patten House is expected to be completed at the end of November, but no furniture has been purchased yet. President Butterfield suggested a "bring your own chair" party for the opening. She went on to suggest that this would be a good time for faculty members to make a donation toward the Faculty Club.

Provost Walker then distributed the current sexual harassment policy as a reminder that these policies exist. He expressed a need for training sessions on this matter because most people who get in trouble do not know what it is. He will be calling departments to set up training sessions. Although he will not be able to have sessions for the whole university, he will work through all academic departments. He urged all to read the brochure.

President Martha Butterfield had received a copy of an October 31, 1995 e-mail message from Mike Whittle, Chair of the Library Committee, to members of the Library Committee. In it, Professor Whittle said,

On Friday last, October 27, I had the opportunity to review the progress being made in the Library Serials Review. I was very impressed by the amount of time and effort being put into the process by the Librarian and the Library Faculty, in an attempt to make the decisions for cancellation as objective and fair as possible. In addition to the lists from the different Departments, they were also looking at the number and value of journals currently allocated to the Departments, the costs of the individual subscriptions, and special situations such as accreditation requirements. In particular, there seems to be no foundation for the worry that one Department could cause the cancellation of journals that were peripheral to their own interests, but central to someone else’s. Where there was any doubt as to the value of a particular subscription, the Library faculty consulted reference books which reviewed the uses and value of the different journals. In my opinion, the review could not have been done more fairly, given the time constraints on the process.

President Butterfield then asked University Librarian Sheila Delacroix to give an update. She said that they are still negotiating titles from various departments. The list as of last night is printed in the Echo. She would be happy to hear from faculty members who have specific concerns. She is trying to make the pain as even as possible; we have to save money where we spend money.

Professor Alan Rabin said that he was present at Faculty Council because he knew that Mike Whittle was not going to be able to be there. He got a hard copy of the Economics Department’s journals on Monday and realizes the time that went into preparing it. He contacted six department heads in Arts and Sciences who did not get a hard copy; two of these also had no access to the list on the Gopher. He does not want just to criticize; as a member of the faculty, he is concerned that other departments had no time to have a meeting to discuss the list. He encourages the Librarian to give people more time.

Professor Delacroix said that she was aware of problems with the Gopher Monday; some people came by to get hard copies.

President Butterfield said that she would like the Library Committee to come up with a recommendation for how to do this process if we have to go through it again in the future.

Provost Grayson Walker said that budget hearings occur soon. The administration will give the Library Committee a chance to work on this issue. They could develop some recommendations this semester and hold their budget hearing after the second week in January.

Professor Delacroix said that this process has taken place at lightening speed; it has given us food for thought about how to do it next time.

Professor Rabin said that he was still concerned with the process this time. Some department heads might not have known that the process had come to an end if they hadn’t been to a Department Heads’ meeting. Professors Verbie Prevost and Nick Honerkamp said that the November 1 deadline had been well publicized. Professor Delacroix reminded faculty that if they beg for further delay, the librarians have to beg the jobber for more days.

New Business

President Martha Butterfield said that she is going to try to develop a process to keep Faculty Council members from getting two copies of the minutes in order to save trees. She also urged people to copy proposals front and back.

She also reported that she had attended the Counselors to the President meeting. There she and Maria Smith said that the Space Institute had come up with questions about phased retirement. Who pays for health insurance? Eli Fly is to pursue this matter with the State. Counselors also want to know whether once the faculty members retire, can they pay through the University to get a group State rate?

They also considered what they might collaboratively do to get action to improve libraries. Current Contents was mentioned as one possibility. Professor Delacroix hopes that Current Contents will be available within a few months. It gives the Table of Contents of 7,000 journals in a wide range of areas. You can search through date, subject, and other aspects. We now have a similar program available on a Web page, CARLUNCOVER. Here 17,000 periodicals are covered, and you can search by author, title, and key word.

Professor Kristen Switala said that she does all of her research through that. You can access it through your office and use interlibrary loan to get the needed articles. She noted that if you order articles directly through CARLUNCOVER, the cost may be $12-15 per article.

President Butterfield reported that the Knoxville campus is considering a technology fee to be charged to students to help defray the cost of printers, replacement computers, and related items. Knoxville also wants to look into leasing computers.

Pay raises were discussed, but there is nothing definite. It will not be an across the board cost of living raise; it will be based on merit. The question did arise, "Do you get pay raise or computers and periodicals?"

The problem of people who had "retired on the job" was a topic of discussion. Department heads were urged to be firm about those who were no longer productive but who did not want to leave.

They also discussed whether life partners can be named as beneficiaries on life insurance and be eligible for health insurance. With our current legislature, this seems unlikely.

Professor Maria Smith said that they are again looking at the tenure system and what this means as far as job security. People with poor evaluations may be asked to leave even if they have tenure.

Locally, we are concerned with what effect the consolidation of city and county schools may have with respect to standards. SACHS is looking at "outcome criteria." Do we need performance standards? Should we institute exit exams?

Provost Walker said that he does not have the new SACHS guidelines; it will probably be December before he gets them.

President Butterfield said that the Standards Committee is looking at the question.

Professor Ken Carson asked what had happened to the bill to give in-state tuition to North Georgia residents. Provost Walker said the issue was not yet dead; ETSU would also like it to meet the needs of Virginia residents. Neither campus is, however, optimistic.

Professor Mike Russell asked if the cashability of pensions came up. President Butterfield said no. Although she had asked that it be put on the agenda when the presidents of all senates get together, a problem exists because there are two retirement options: TCRS and TIAA-CREF. They do not want to leave some state employees out.

Eli Fly does not want us to squander our money. But President Butterfield thinks that if a person wants to buy a sailboat and sail around the world, he should be allowed to. The edge might be if a person is ill and needs the money for medical expenses. There was a previous lawsuit about how TIAA-CREF is handled, so they put it into the hands of the State legislature. Fortunately, we now have VALIC and Aetna as well.

Member Concerns

Dean Charles Renneisen said that the removal of handicapped desks from classrooms had been reported to his office. He urged people to keep them in the classroom.

Provost Walker said that the United Way deadline had been extended because we have not yet reached our goal.

The parking lot by Metropolitan Hospital will be made available for parking as soon as it is purchased. Although it will help with New Village parking, no decision has yet been made about whether it is to be a yellow or blue lot.

Mr. Richard Brown said that part of it would be blue to insure faculty parking.

Dean Renneisen announced that construction on the new deck in Lot 31 begins in January; however, that will mean the loss of 100 parking spaces and will cause numerous problems. President Butterfield asked why there had been a delay. Mr. Richard Brown explained that they had just now finished the design because they had to work with the City on exits and underground considerations.

Professor Tom Bibler announced, "The College of Education and Applied Professional Studies would like to formally thank our colleagues in Arts and Sciences and the Library and the rest of the immediate world that were involved in our State Department of Education and National Council Accreditation of Teacher Education (SDE/NCATE) accreditation review. We won’t hear finally until next July, but we had very positive exit interviews with both teams and we do appreciate all the help we received."

President Butterfield said they are still trying to get a faculty member on THEC. Dean Renneisen said that they have approved having a student on the THEC board; a UTC student will be named next year.

President Butterfield said to look for the announcement of the December 7 meeting, which would be held only if needed for Curriculum Committee matters.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 4:35 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sally Young

Secretary

top.gif (189 bytes)