shorttop.jpg (1907 bytes)

THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE AT CHATTANOOGA
FACULTY COUNCIL MINUTES

September 15, 1994
Signal Mountain Room
University Center

ELECTED MEMBERS PRESENT: Valarie Adams, Jim Avery, Tom Bibler, Martha Butterfield, Ken Carson, Prem Chopra, Neal Coulter, Robert Duffy, Aniekan Ebiefung, Fritz Efaw, Ahmed Eltom, Howard Finch, Phil Giffin, Nick Honerkamp, Larry Ingle, Doug Kingdon, David Levine, Jim Macomber, Anna Panorksa, Loretta Prater, Katherine Rehyansky, Mike Russell, Greg Sedrick, Maria Smith, Jim Stroud, John Tinkler, Margaret Trimpey, Jeannette Vallier, Ling-Jun Wang, David Wiley, Sally Young

ELECTED MEMBERS ABSENT: Betsy Cook, Lloyd Davis, John Garrett, John Lynch, Jim McDonell

EX-OFFICIO MEMBERS PRESENT: Fred Obear, Charles Renneisen, Grayson Walker

AMONG THE GUESTS PRESENT: Bruce Hutchinson, Ralph Moser, Randy Walker, Dan Webb

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 3:17 by President Tom Bibler.

Approval of Minutes

Neal Coulter, Phil Giffin, Larry Ingle, Jim Macomber, Jim McDonell, and Maria Smith were present at the September 1, 1994 meeting.

On page 6, the minutes should read, "The motion to approve the resolution passed by voice vote."

The minutes were approved as amended.

In a letter to Dr. Bill Butterfield, chair of the Speakers and Special Events Committee, and copied to Dr. Tom Bibler, Dr. Marsha P. Logan explained that the $1000 given for the "Sex, Alcohol & Self Esteem" program was administered by Dr. Ed Smith, not Dean Richard MacDougall as reported on the Committee Report of February 15, 1994. The report, as attached to Faculty Council Minutes of April 21, 1994, will be amended to reflect this change.

Mr. Ralph Moser introduced Daniel Webb, new director of Human Resources.

Report of the Committee on Committees

Professor Greg Sedrick, chair, distributed a new list of committee members. (This new list is attached to the minutes.) He announced that we needed to elect a replacement for Jocelyn Sanders, who resigned from Faculty Council. (It should be noted that Professor Sanders was elected both to Council and to the Committee on Committees in her absence.) Professor Sedrick read a list of current members and noted that the committee is composed of Faculty Council members only. Professor Sedrick nominated Professor Jim Stroud; Professor Martha Butterfield seconded the motion. The nominations were closed, and Professor Stroud was elected by acclamation.

Professor Sedrick asked that committee chairs send him a copy of their meeting notices minutes.

Report of the General Education Committee

Professor Martha Butterfield announced that Humanities 219 (African American Literature) had been approved as a Category G course.

Because Mr. Richard Brown had not yet arrived, Council moved to agenda item 6.

Report of the Provost

Provost Grayson Walker distributed a one-page sheet entitled "Academic Affairs Reorganization" (attached to these minutes) and explained some of the new duties of Dr. William Aiken (new title: Associate Provost for Academic Administration), Dr. Jane Harbaugh (same title: Associate Provost for Undergraduate and Special Programs), and Dr. Richard Gruetzemacher (new title: Director of Office of Planning, Evaluation, and Institutional Research). Several areas will report directly to the Provost.

Professor Nick Honerkamp asked if Diane Miller was still with Grants. Dr. Walker replied, yes, half-time. He understands the importance of staffing the Grants office, and the Administration will be looking at that.

Professor Maria Smith asked where Institutional Review would be located. Dr. Walker explained that it is part of the Office of Planning, Evaluation, and Institutional Research.

Professor Prem Chopra asked where the Associate Provost for Graduate Studies and Research was. Dr. Walker said that when Dr. Marvin Ernst returned to full-time teaching, no replacement was named. The Administration will assess the situation. Currently, that area is included with Graduate Programs. When asked about Human Subjects Review, Dr. Walker said that Dr. Clint Smullen in CECA was handling that responsibility.

With respect to the report of the Task Force on Sexual Harassment, Dr. Walker reviewed its history: The Committee had produced a fine set of recommendations, which were read and discussed at a spring 1994 Faculty Council meeting and then sent to legal counsel. Steve Sprouse in Knoxville wants to meet with the Task Force because although he supports the report generally, he has a few questions. After that meeting, we can go further. Mr. Sprouse will attempt to visit within the next two weeks. He has some suggestions for modifications of the language. After that, the report will be sent to the Dean’s Council, Chancellor’s staff, and Faculty Council, before reaching the Chancellor for final approval.

With respect to continuation standards, last year the faculty passed a proposal to change continuation standards and sent the document to Knoxville. Knoxville said that they would not sent it on to the Board of Trustees because it did not address the negative impact on minority students. Dr. Walker will work with Dr. Jane Harbaugh to answer their criticism. Knoxville’s questions were more about a supportive infrastructure for minority students than they were about the recommendations for change themselves. He expects Knoxville to endorse the proposal eventually. Dr. Walker will continue to work with the Standards Committee.

President Bibler asked Committee on Committees Chair Greg Sedrick if that committee had a chair yet. He answered no, but that the committee was to elect a chair at its first meeting.

Professor Larry Ingle asked if the revised Standards proposal would have to go through the whole approval process again. Dr. Walker said he thought not; all that was involved was a few wording changes. It would be fine with him, however, if Faculty Council wanted another look at it.

Report on Summer School Funding

Professor Bruce Hutchinson asked Faculty Council members to note one change in the document, an error on page three. In the calculations, the 70% factor was omitted. A student is worth about $1,044, so it would take six students to pay the $6,000 for the professor. He also thanked Dr. Bill Aiken for extensive help in getting the figures for the report.

Professor Mike Russell asked if it was correct that five or six students would pay the salary of the professor. Professor Hutchinson said yes.

Professor Russell asked if ten students paid the whole costs.

Professor Hutchinson said yes. The committee wanted to find out what happened to the money generated by a class which has more than the minimum number of students. The committee wondered if we could generate more money for professors and UTC from summer school than we currently do. Could we permit departments to add more courses because they knew that the course would have enough students to pay the professor’s salary?

Professor Russell wondered why so much of the summer school money goes to places other than the professor’s salary.

Professor Hutchinson said that was not really part of his report; however, much of the money goes to pay support staff.

Chancellor Fred Obear said that the last time he looked, much of the summer school revenue went to help the university operate a lower student/faculty ratio in the fall and spring semesters.

Mr. Ralph Moser confirmed that.

Professor Russell commented that he knew summer school was supposed to be self-supporting, but he did not know that it helped the university run better in other semesters.

He recalled that we are now celebrating the twenty-fifth anniversary of the merger and that we fought to get the percentage up of normal income for summer school. Now we get about half of what we would get to teach a course during the regular session. Are we up to Knoxville standards now? Do we get paid for summer school at the same rate as they do?

No one had an answer to these questions.

Professor Stroud asked if summer school spending was part of our recent austerity overall. He believes that we need to offer more courses, especially at the graduate level.

Professor Obear responded that we could have higher class enrollment in the fall and offer more courses in the summer.

Professor Stroud asked if we could get more system support.

Chancellor Obear said that we do not get support from the System, just from the State; currently we are on the high side. We have a lower student/teacher ratio than most of the campuses have.

Professor Russell said that he was not sure whether it is good or bad, but history can rarely offer an upper level class in the summer.

Professor Martha Butterfield asked if we could offer more graduate courses, which would raise more revenue, and still have a lower student/faculty ratio in the fall.

Professor Hutchinson remarked that one of the issues we had to address was whether we are redirecting students from a regular class in the fall or spring. If that is the case, then we really do not gain anything. But if we have full classes in the fall and spring and offer the same course in the summer, then it is a gain. We may need to study this further and sort out the statistics.

Dr. Walker said that the report will go to the Dean’s Council this fall. Professor Hutchinson’s committee asks the question, "Can we do this better?" As we get more international students, we need to know that they want to go to school year ‘round. Provost Walker sees summer school as a complement to the academic year. One can even argue that the university should operate year ‘round because of the physical plant.

Professor Russell asked if the Provost had charged this committee.

Dr. Walker replied that he had not; the Committee of Department Heads set up Professor Hutchinson’s committee.

President Bibler asked if the questions on page three would be answered.

Dr. Walker said that the Administration would look at them. They do not think that there is as much economic impact as some think.

Update on Building Projects

Mr. Richard Brown reported that this is a "hard hat" year for the University from renovation to the parking garage.

The Health and Human Services Building renovation has just been completed; faculty have moved back in.

The Challenger Center, an environmentally friendly project with grasslands and wetlands, is scheduled for completion in October 1994 with start up scheduled for January 1995.

Residence Hall Phase II in the area of Oak and Houston Streets, with housing for 256 students, will be started soon.

Professor Jeannette Vallier asked if any students were still in motels.

Dean Rocky Renneisen said no. All are in dormitories now.

President Bibler asked if the dorms would be the same type as Phase I.

Mr. Brown replied yes.

Patten House has had some hang-ups with the fire marshall’s office. These have been worked out, and work should begin soon. It should be ready in the Fall of 1995, but more private funds are needed. Professor James Avery noted that there will probably be a fund raiser to pay for needed furnishings after they talk to the interior designer. It will be a Faculty Club type of facility.

Maclellan Gym will be renovated to upgrade heating, cooling, ceiling tile, and locker rooms.

A parking garage adjacent to the central energy plant will take about sixteen months to complete. It will have the same architect as the CARTA parking garage; they hope it will be attractive. The facility will hold five hundred cars, and we will not have to raise parking fees to pay for it.

Fletcher Hall renovation is a $7.5 million project. It will provide about 800,000 square feet of renovated space, including 40,000 more usable space from the old library stacks. It will include a smart classroom and state-of-the-art wiring.

It should begin in May 1995 and be completed by September 1996. Of course it will involve relocation of the faculty of the College of Business Administration.

Professor Russell asked if Fletcher classrooms would be in use during the Spring of 1995.

Mr. Brown said yes, but some minor projects could be begun without disturbing the faculty there.

Other related projects include renovation of offices and classes in Frist Hall for the Communication Department. Art students will be relocated to South Stadium, where the portion destroyed by fire is being renovated, providing good lighting for them.

The Intramural Field was relocated after the addition of the Challenger Center and has been upgraded with an underground sprinkler system and new sod.

When asked about relocation of Fletcher faculty, Mr. Brown responded that they will place three portable classrooms and self-contained office buildings on the site of the demolished synagogue. The Bursar’s Office will be temporarily located where the old physical plant was. Founders Hall will house disbursements. Most business classes will be held inside the old Siskin Memorial Building. They will try to keep professors’ classes near their offices.

Professor James Stroud asked if the University had bought more land, referring to a passage in the five-year plan.

Chancellor Obear replied that the Bryan Funeral Home plus the AME church will be acquired to add parking for the new engineering building.

Mr. Brown said that among the capital projects for the next fiscal year, the math/engineering building is top priority.

Chancellor Obear said that he was happy to report that the Chattanooga City Council had approved permanent closing of Vine Street at their last meeting.

Professor Larry Ingle wondered if the bus shelter formerly located on Vine Street could be relocated since Vine Street is no longer on the bus route.

Chancellor Obear said that they could look into that. CARTA had not wanted to make any changes until the Vine Street closing was permanent. We will also develop landscaping plans for the area.

Professor Sedrick asked about the status of the Distance Learning classroom in Frist. Mr. Brown said that the second Distance Learning classroom is almost ready.

Professor Randy Walker asked if the sidewalks by the Health and Human Services building could be improved.

Mr. Brown said yes; they are our sidewalks. We have a list of masonry projects and will try to get the sidewalks done soon. He hopes that private owners in the area will improve theirs too.

Professor Butterfield asked about lighting.

Mr. Brown said that the lighting is the city’s. We have met with them about lighting on Vine and Oak Streets; they will come in and add more lighting (not at our expense).

President Bibler asked about the expansion of the University Center and Children’s Center.

Mr. Brown said he would prefer that Dean Renneisen respond to that question.

Dean Renneisen said that they want to expand toward the parking lot and eventually tie into Maclellan. The money would come out of student fees (and added to the debt reduction). He would like to have a theatre-type room (like Chattanooga State’s Humanities Auditorium); we also need to expand the kitchen, food services, and private dining areas. Such expansion might require relocating the Children’s Center. They would also like to have the bookstore at the University Center with an opening on Fifth Street to encourage sales to people who come for events at the Arena. Such a move would also free up more space in Guerry for academic areas. Because this might well be the last expansion of the University Center, they want to make it the most useful for a variety of needs.

The Fine Arts Center will also be expanded to add space needed for reaccreditation, including practice rooms.

Old Business

Professor Larry Ingle said that he thought we should reopen last year’s concern about health insurance. Professor Ingle does not have a doctor because his former doctor is not a member of the network and he cannot find a doctor in the network who is accepting new patients. This summer, Neal Wormsley sent a list of counties who got exemptions. When Ingle wrote him about Hamilton County, he received no response.

He believes that we should do something about this, although he does not know what.

President Bibler noted that at the two-hundredth anniversary celebration in Knoxville Monday, the representative from the Memphis Campus is a surgeon. He and President Bibler cornered Governor McWherter about TennCare problems. The Governor said that President Bibler and the surgeon were wrong; the system is working.

Professor Ingle agreed that no doubt part of it is working. But we need to look at the parts.

President Bibler said that the governor believes that doctors will capitulate.

Professor Ingle observed that he certainly hoped he would not injure himself leaving.

President Bibler hoped that he would not either.

Professor Ingle said that he is concerned about our loss of benefits. If we go back to a doctor who did not join TennCare, we pay at least 20% more. He thinks the Committee on Budget and Economic Status should look at it.

Professor Ken Carson said that he read this summer in the paper than an HMO may move into the Chattanooga area. Would we be able to sign on with it?

No one had any information about this matter.

Professor James Avery reported that not only do you have to pay more than 20% in many cases, but also that Blue Cross is slow to reimburse you when you go to a non-TennCare doctor.

Professor Butterfield asked new Human Resources director Dan Webb to look into this. Could UTC break away from UTK with respect to insurance carriers?

Mr. Webb said that he would look into the question.

Professor Margaret Trimpey said that some agencies have offered employees an opportunity to go to a PPO at a slightly higher rate. We are told that this is not an option. Are we part of the pressure to get physicians to capitulate about TennCare?

Professor Ahmed Eltom noted that we have only three orthopedists. He called Blue Cross recently and none had been added.

Professor Kingdon said if there is no doctor in a particular area, you may get permission for a year. But Blue Cross wants you to put pressure on your doctor to join.

Professor Fritz Efaw asked if the Director of Human Resources could organize a seminar with people from the community who are affected by these changes.

Mr. Webb asked if he wanted a workshop about the state program as it is now.

Professor Efaw said yes; he wants to know what to do in special situations. Sometimes he does not get a memorandum about changes. "Your Medical Benefits" is out of date.

Professor Prem Chopra said that everyone he has talked to is displeased with the situation. We need more choice.

Professor Stroud said that the dental plan is also in an odd situation. You cannot get what you need when you need it; there are no periodontists.

Professor Ingle said that he did not know much about medical insurance, but he had read that Blue Cross practices have been questioned. Blue Cross seems closely tied in to the political establishment in Tennessee. Could we approach the problem in a forum other than system presidential visits to the campus?

We need to make concerns known to the University system people and to politicians in the state.

New Business

Professor Phil Giffin related a concern about a memo from the Office of the Treasurer concerning an agreement with Delta Airlines.

Mr. Moser explained that Delta is giving rebates which will go back to the department if you book tickets using a certain identification number. He hopes that there may eventually be a Delta office on campus.

Professor Honerkamp asked if this would be true for private trips too.

Mr. Moser said yes. You need to give a special number to the ticket agent. As far as he knows, you can book your own flight, use the number, and not go through a travel agent.

Professor Mike Russell asked how it would affect a person’s Frequent Flyer miles.

Mr. Moser is not sure; he will look into it. He thinks it will have no effect. Knoxville has had a plan such as this in effect for several years.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 4:43 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sally Young

Secretary

top.gif (189 bytes)