shorttop.jpg (1907 bytes)

THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE AT CHATTANOOGA
FACULTY COUNCIL MINUTES

February 2, 1995

Signal Mountain Room
University Center

ELECTED MEMBERS PRESENT: Valarie Adams, Jim Avery, Tom Bibler, Ken Carson, Betsy Cook, Robert Duffy, Fritz Efaw, Ahmed Eltom, Howard Finch, Phil Giffin, Nick Honerkamp, Larry Ingle, Doug Kingdon, David Levine, John Lynch, Jim Macomber, Anna Panorska, Loretta Prater, Katherine Rehyansky, Mike Russell, Greg Sedrick, Maria Smith, Jim Stroud, John Tinkler, Margaret Trimpey, Jeannette Vallier, Ling-Jun Wang, David Wiley, Sally Young

ELECTED MEMBERS ABSENT: Martha Butterfield, Prem Chopra, Neal Coulter, Lloyd Davis, Aniekan Ebiefung, John Garrett, Renée Lorraine, Jim McDonell

EX-OFFICIO MEMBERS PRESENT: Charles Renneisen, Grayson Walker

AMONG THE GUESTS PRESENT: Gene Ezell, Leroy Fanning, Bill Gurley, Jim Henry, Ralph Moser, Robert Norred, Betty Pickett, Larry Tillman, Jeff Waskey

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 3:16 p.m. by President Tom Bibler.

Approval of Minutes

The minutes were approved as distributed.

Curriculum Committee

Committee Chair Ken Venters presented seven items to Council for approval. Professor David Wiley moved and Professor Nick Honerkamp seconded the motion to accept the proposals.

Professor Larry Ingle said that he had two questions and wanted to amend the motion to separate certain items later if necessary. Both the mover and seconder agreed to that amendment.

Professor Ingle said that he had a question about item four, a new concentration in Community Health Education. At the bottom of page 3, a number of electives are permitted, along with a statement that there is no impact on the College of Arts and Sciences. Council has repeatedly heard that biology courses are full and that even seniors have trouble getting the courses they need. He is concerned.

Professor Gene Ezell said that Department Head Charles Nelson signed off on this proposal; he had, in fact, asked Professor Nelson if additional sections of these courses would be required and was told that there was no problem.

Professor Ingle remarked that one new course is required, EHLS 275. Since only one course is added, why does EHLS need a new concentration?

Professor Ezell explained that the emphasis in the new concentration is on community health, not school health. The field experiences will be different for different groups; these and the internships will be the main differences.

Professor Honerkamp said that he would like clarification of EHLS 275, which has a 10-week internship in a 15-week semester. Although a memorandum describes the internship as involving 200 hours, only 100 hours are mentioned in the curriculum proposal.

Professor Ezell said that the correct number is 100 hours.

Professor Ingle asked if additional staff would be needed to teach EHLS 275.

Professor Ezell said no.

Professor Phil Giffin asked why Economics 102 rather than Economics 101 was required.

Professor Ezell said that the Department of Economics requested the 102; EHLS had originally requested 101. Professor Bruce Hutchinson had recommended the change.

Professor Giffin said that he would personally favor 101 for the concentration.

President Bibler asked if there were questions on other proposals.

Professor Honerkamp had a question about the Theatre and Speech proposal, which mentions reshaping a course. Which one is to be reshaped?

Professor Jim Lewis said that the course is THSP 340. The only change will be adding a discipline-based component.

Professor Honerkamp asked if the course would be resubmitted to the Curriculum Committee.

Professor Lewis believed that the changes were so minor that such resubmission would not be needed.

With regard to the Computer Science curriculum changes, Professor Larry Ingle asked if the changes all came about because of the Computing Sciences Accreditation Commission (CSAB) recommendations.

Professor Venters replied that the Curriculum Committee had been told that.

Professor Ingle questioned why on page 2, paragraph c, Philosophy 425 is required. He wondered how and why that particular course was chosen to fulfill the requirements of the CSAB.

Professor David Wiley said that Professor Ingle’s question seems to be answered in the paragraph itself.

Professor Ingle explained his concern; he believed that many other courses could also fulfill this requirement.

Professor Ken Carson pointed out that this single course satisfies two requirements.

Professor David Wiley noted that the course must have both a social and an ethical component.

Professor Ingle concurred, but noted that other courses, such as his department’s seminar, could also satisfy these requirements. He wants to know why that particular course was chosen. Again, he is concerned about enrollments.

Professor Ahmed Eltom remarked that although he had been on the committee, he did not know the rationale.

Professor Ingle wanted a more complete answer and moved to postpone consideration until the next meeting.

Professor Venters reminded Council that if the change was not approved at this meeting, it would be too late to meet the catalogue deadline.

Professor Mike Russell added that since Philosophy 425 is a course specifically on ethics and the professions, he thinks it is a good choice.

Professor Wiley asked if the Philosophy Department had signed off on the proposal. Are they willing to take the burden?

Professor Ingle asked if there would need to be additional sections.

Professor Venters said there are usually two or three sections each time now.

Professor Ingle wanted to know how many computer science majors would be affected by the change.

Professor Venters noted that Professor Herb Burhenn had signed off on the proposal.

Professor Doug Kingdon added that signing off is supposed to mean that you have considered the effect and can handle it.

Professor Giffin reminded Council that we are supposed to be concerned with content. He agrees with Professor Ingle.

Professor Stroud reiterated that Professor Burhenn’s signature means that the Philosophy Department can handle the additional students.

Professor Eltom said that he had called Professor Jack Thompson, who was on his way over to answer questions.

Professor Stroud agreed that we should not be rushed in our decision simply because of catalogue deadlines.

When Professor Thompson arrived, he addressed the reason for the change. The CSAB is the accrediting board; they have several requirements we do not currently meet. Two of these can be addressed by a single change. One requirement is that Computer Science majors have a module to address professional ethics; that is why Philosophy 425 was chosen. Further, thirty hours of liberal arts courses would be required; Philosophy 425 added to what we have now will also satisfy that requirement.

Professor Ingle noted that he knows nothing about CSAB except what is on page 2, paragraph c. Is Philosophy 425 the course that the CSAB recommends? Professor Thompson said no.

Professor Ingle then asked if the Computer Science Department selected Philosophy 425 as the best course to fulfill the requirement. Professor Thompson said yes.

Professor Ingle wanted to know why Computer Science made that selection; there are other courses which could fulfill that requirement. Professor Thompson asked what courses Professor Ingle had in mind. Professor Ingle mentioned Historical Seminar, taught in his department. Professor Thompson remarked that the content of that course was not apparent from its title and that choice would have to be justified to CSAB; Philosophy 425, however, has a title which clearly reflects the required content.

Professor Ingle asked how many Computer Science students would take it. Professor Thompson believed about twenty-five per year. Professor Ingle asked if that might require addition of another section. Professor Thompson replied maybe.

Professor Venters thought that twenty-five students could probably be absorbed during a two-year period.

Professor Thompson reported that when Professor Burhenn asked his department about the addition of the course, they liked the idea.

Professor Ingle had a question about the quoted phrase on page 2 of the criteria. Is the second quotation more specific than the first? Which is more important to the CSAB?

Professor Thompson said the quotations refer to separate requirements.

The motion passed 29-0-0.

Report on Security, Parking Garage, Heating and Land Acquisition

Mr. Richard Brown apologized for missing the last meeting and reiterated some of the information on the heating problem found in the footnote to the minutes of the last meeting.

Now that the Honeywell Building Regulators have been fixed, the heating situation should get better. He still urges faculty to call the Campus Police, who check in with the physical plant hourly, if heating is a problem.

Professor Larry Ingle said that Brock Hall is extremely hot today.

Professor James Stroud noted that the Fine Arts Center was also extremely hot.

Mr. Brown said that the Physical Plant had not been running chilled water; now they are. If people have questions, they should call Tom Ellis at 4018 or 4687 during the day or the Campus Police at 4357 on weekends.

Professor Eltom asked what the problem is. The fifth floor of Grote has been a problem for a year.

Mr. Brown remarked that the problem should improve with the distribution of chilled water and the repaired Honeywell system.

Professor Eltom noted that it is about 64 degrees in the summer and 80 in the winter; furthermore, the humidity is not regulated.

Mr. Brown said the problem was partly old controls which were pneumatic, not digital.

Professor Ling-Jun Wang said that no one has discussed the technical aspect. He believes that a single control for a whole building is not enough. Each floor, at least, should have a separate control.

Professor Wiley reported that Room 356 in the Fine Arts Center is a 77-seat room. His film class meets in there for seventy-five minutes. At the end of the class period, students stagger out because they cannot breathe; a sort of overwhelming warmth flows from the room. They cannot open the door because it puts light on the screen. Students feel as if they are catching a serious disease. He understands that the department has made repeated calls to no avail. In fact, Professor Wiley is considering filing an OSHA complaint!

Professor Duffy has a different problem; they get cold air in the scene shop. At this time of year, the room tends to be only about 10 degrees above the outside temperature.

Mr. Brown asked that people call him with specific room numbers and he will take the information to Facilities Management.

Professor Eltom works with energy efficiency. As energy costs rise, he believes we should look at new equipment.

Mr. Brown said that they are looking at new equipment now. Tom Ellis is interested in bringing resolution to this problem.

Professor John Tinkler asked if plastic could be put on the windows of Holt Hall.

Mr. Brown said that Dean Summerlin had asked Physical Plant to do this.

Professor Stroud remarked that it was hot in the Signal Mountain Room. He also reported that the granite slabs in the sidewalk near the Fine Arts Center are very slippery when wet.

Professor Anna Panorska noted that although she realizes the Math Building is historic, she has difficulty breathing in it. It is hot and there is no circulation; even opening windows does not help much.

Professor Wang asked Mr. Brown to involve some of the engineering faculty in this.

Mr. Brown said they planned to do so.

Mr. Brown then went on to discuss security related to the buildings. If you see suspicious people in the buildings, call the Campus Police. There have been several thefts lately. If you see someone who looks out of place, call the Campus Police at that time. Practice key control within your department. If you lose a key, please call Security. They may need to change locks.

If you are accessing the building after 5:00, please tell the Campus Police that you plan to be there so that you don’t scare officers to death. They do not want to be surprised by you. They are upping the number of security checks both on campus buildings and residential buildings.

Over 800 doors have been found unlocked during their checks. Mr. Brown urges faculty and staff to be more careful, especially if they have equipment there. There is an escalation of property theft according to the Chronicle of Higher Education, but most of it is preventable. Mr. Brown also reported an increase in alcohol use arrests.

Professor Mike Russell reminded Mr. Brown that in Brock Hall, some of the offices opening into the hall do not lock automatically. He believes that sometimes professors do lock their offices but that custodial staff forgets to do so when they are through.

Professor Wiley asked if stolen property can be reimbursed through UTC’s self-insurance.

Mr. Brown said that the loss had to be greater than $500.00.

Professor Wiley noted that a high quality VCR had been stolen from the Fine Arts Centers 315. Their replacement machine is not as good and does not have the stop frame quality. He believes we need a provision to help us replace smaller cash items.

Mr. Brown will check about the possibility through Risk Management.

Professor Wiley suggested a policy change. We need such a change to protect our teaching mission.

Mr. Brown promised to take these remarks to the authorities.

Mr. Brown reported that the Parking Garage is in the design phase; construction should begin in September of 1995 and be finished one year later. It will hold 500 cars and be located by the Central Energy Plant. They want it to look good.

Professor Honerkamp asked where the footprint would be.

Mr. Brown said in lot 31, exactly where the existing parking lot is now.

Professor Greg Sedrick asked about the current status of the Math, Computer Science, and Engineering Building. Is it still our number one project?

Professor Stroud asked where the project was on the system agenda.

Mr. Brown was not sure, but he knows that the Provost and Chancellor support it.

Professor Wiley asked about the status of the lighting at the Fine Arts Center.

Mr. Brown said that they are waiting for parts.

Professor Panorska asked why we would get a parking garage before a math building.

Mr. Brown replied that they come from different funding sources. The parking garage will pay for itself over time. Math, on the other hand, is THEC assigned space and is funded by them.

The Patten House is very dusty now, but they are moving right along with renovations. They are moving people out of Fletcher now; portable buildings are being readied.

Professor Stroud asked where we were with respect to Metropolitan Hospital.

Mr. Brown did not know.

Professor Sedrick asked what the difference in commitment was between the stadium and the math building.

Mr. Brown said he would have to ask the Chancellor.

Professor Eltom recalled that when he came in 1984, he was told they would have a new building very soon; that promise was a recruiting tool.

Professor Sedrick said he needed clarification about funding sources; he was not trying to be contentious.

Provost Walker said that the parking deck generates money; they are going from 100 to 500 spaces. The lot will also be used for arena events. Therefore this can be a bond issue because revenue will pay it off. The math building, on the other hand, must come out of state funds. The stadium is a mystery to him. The community has raised a certain amount; the University would pay off $2 million in bonds over a period of time. He does not know what the city and county are doing.

Professor Stroud asked if the $2 million was not THEC money.

Provost Walker agreed that it was not. The question is how to pay off $2 million; he believes it will be through concessions and ticket sales for events held. The Chancellor believes we could liquidate the $2 million in bonds.

Mr. Ralph Moser explained that this would be a plan similar to the one used to fund the Arena. It would be a 30-year debt, and money collected would offset the expense. The stadium technically has nothing to do with higher education. The math building, on the other hand, has to go to the UT System and then to the Legislature in an education bill.

Professor Sedrick said that the math, computer science, and engineering building was getting community sponsorship. Would such help get the building to the top of the priority list?

Mr. Moser said it might, but THEC would be concerned about how it would work. They look at gifts carefully so as to get the money up front. He suggests that the community people interested in this building contact Mrs. Ruth Holmberg, who is on the commission.

Professor Margaret Trimpey asked if the arena had produced the revenue to meet the debt. Mr. Moser replied yes.

Professor Honerkamp mentioned sporting events. He is afraid that they will not bring in enough revenue. Will the "partners" allow rock concerts and the like?

Mr. Moser said that he believes UTC can contract for space to do such shows if we want to; it would be both at our risk and for our profit.

Professor Ingle said he wanted to make a half humorous/half facetious suggestion. To generate some funds, and because these students have a market for employment in their majors, how about having a surcharge on such majors?

Professor Russell said that he understands about debt payment, but he wonders about operating expenses. Are we responsible for these?

Mr. Moser said he thinks the stadium will be managed by someone else; therefore we just have to worry about the fee.

Professor Russell wondered whose bonds would be paid first. Is there a hierarchy?

Mr. Moser said it would depend on who is running it. Our bond would not be tied in with theirs. Our bond issued by Tennessee would be our own responsibility.

As parliamentarian, Professor Wiley requested that we move on to the order of business.

Report on the Bookstore

Mr. Jeff Waskey began by announcing some changes. They have a new full-time salaried person in clothing, gift items, and so forth; further they have a "full-blown valentine promotion." Diploma frames are available.

They have a new system of department charges. Now you get a receipt when you buy; then you will get an invoice at the end of the month from Mike Evans. They are still learning the system, but be sure you get your discount.

Book returns begin February 17. Used books go back first. They are preparing for the end of the fiscal year. Book orders are due March 17.

Some professors had problems with their course packs. Barnes and Noble discontinued their agreement with Custom Publishing in October; however Mr. Waskey was not informed of the change until the middle of November. Now the Barnes and Noble home office is getting copyrights, but materials will be printed at UTC to help keep down the cost.

Professor Ken Carson said his students tell him that their copies are bad, with pages lopped off and so forth.

Mr. Waskey asked that people let him know. He will get good copies for these students, although he cannot rebind the books. He urged faculty members to cut the black sections off of pages before you send pages in because such parts really eat up the toner.

With regard to textbooks, they had many problems with McGraw-Hill. He denied boycotting this publisher, but the 6% price increase McGraw-Hill put into place is being passed on to students. He encourages faculty and students to voice their opinions on this matter.

The publishers are closed from December 15 until January 5. After December 1 this year, he had 402 book orders to process involving 783 titles. Mr. Waskey will personally come to departments to pick up orders if needed. Most publishers are in New York and New Jersey and are affected by snowstorms.

Professor Kingdon said he ordered a full complement of books in EDCI 423 and got only half as many as he ordered of one book.

Mr. Waskey apologized.

Professor Tinkler asked how Mr. Waskey determined how many books to order.

Mr. Waskey said that it depended on how many times the course had been offered. They look at the track record of the course. If you order 30 and they sell only 10 each time, they will order only 12 or 13 the next time. Drop/adds really affect availability. Remember, write DO NOT CUT on your order if you do not want it cut.

Professor Avery wanted to know if we could find out sooner what books the bookstore was not going to be able to get. He has had a problem with texts being back ordered and having to cancel them after a couple of weeks.

Mr. Waskey said that he usually does not contact publishers until November 15, even though orders are due in October. If you work with book representatives and they promise you books will appear, you cannot depend on it.

Professor Wang said his students tell him that the bookstore cuts most orders by 25%.

Mr. Waskey said that was not true. They generally do not cut across the board; they look at records of what was ordered and sold.

Professor Vallier asked if they looked both at the class number and the person teaching it.

Mr. Waskey said no. It is very difficult to order for multiple sections. If you have a cap of 30 students and allow 34 to enroll, let him know right away.

Professor Kingdon said he had been plagued with reorders.

Professor Prater noted that some workbooks just showed up with the textbooks she ordered. What should she do?

Mr. Waskey said sometimes he goes ahead and orders such materials so students can get them if they want. Such items have a different colored tag. A yellow sleeve means "recommended."

Professor Stroud asked that the students working in the bookstore be careful about telling students they need unnecessary items.

Professor Efaw asked what students were told.

Mr. Waskey said that he orders required books, books which professors recommend but do not require, and books which the bookstore recommends.

Professor Wiley said that he was concerned about crowds the first couple of days, especially with the book drop.

Mr. Waskey said that four book bags had been stolen; the bookstore paid out over $1,000. They are working on a coin-operated book drop.

Professor Katy Rehyansky said that she has sixty students waiting for a backordered workbook. What can be done to insure that orders to popular texts be placed early?

Mr. Waskey said that HBJ does some custom publishing. Is the workbook she ordered like that?

Professor Rehyansky said no.

Mr. Waskey thinks the publishers should accommodate. He will be able to get such an order early, but all books would be new.

Professor Rehyansky said that would be fine. Since these are workbooks, she would expect all of them to be new.

Professor Honerkamp said he is teaching a lab this semester for Anthropology 209. Students reported that they purchased workbooks which already had answers written in them, most of which were wrong. How does the bookstore get used workbooks?

Mr. Waskey said he goes to used book wholesalers first, such as Missouri Book Services (affiliated with Barnes and Noble). If the professor wants only new books, he can order them, but when students complain that there are no used books, he will tell them that the faculty member requested only new books.

Professor Honerkamp also said the bookstore was currently selling a book about artifact identification with a price list. He finds such a book objectionable because it encourages site looting.

Mr. Waskey encouraged Professor Honerkamp to come talk with him.

Professor David Levine said that Physical Therapy has been happier in the last two years.

Mr. Waskey thanked Professor Levine and noted that Physical Therapy students spend about $600 per semester on their books. Mr. Waskey also mentioned that he had been able to put together a course pack for nursing which included syringes.

Professor Vallier then asked about the buyback policy.

Professor Waskey said that students would be paid half of the new book price until the bookstore had met its inventory needs for the summer and fall. He also offered to come to department meetings to dispel fears.

Old Business

President Bibler noted that several months ago, we had passed a resolution requesting faculty presence on THEC. Martin had trouble getting theirs passed, but now all system campuses have done so. We will have legal assistance at the meeting in Memphis next week; a change such as this must be done through the Legislature.

New Business

There was no new business.

Announcements

At Professor Immaculate Kizza’s request, President Bibler announced that there would be a video conference on "Black Studies at the Crossroads" in the Raccoon Mountain Room at 2:00 on February 6.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 4:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sally Young

Secretary

top.gif (189 bytes)