shorttop.jpg (1907 bytes)

THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE AT CHATTANOOGA
FACULTY COUNCIL MINUTES

September 16, 1993
Signal Mountain Room
University Center

ELECTED MEMBERS PRESENT: Valarie Adams, Jim Avery, Will Bertin, Tom Bibler, Martha Butterfield, Neal Coulter, Lloyd Davis, Robert Duffy, Aniekan Ebiefung, Fritz Efaw, Howard Finch, Jack Freeman, John Garrett, Nick Honerkamp, Larry Ingle, David Levine, Loretta Prater, Mike Russell, Ossama Saleh, Greg Sedrick, Edgar Shawen, Clint Smullen, John Tinkler, Terry Walters, Ling-Jun Wang, Carolyn Wiley, David Wiley, Sally Young

ELECTED MEMBERS ABSENT: Monte Coulter, Susan Davidson, Ken Carson, Doug Kingdon, Molly Kotarski, Renée Lorraine, Clifford Parten, Larry Tillman, Joe Trahan

EX-OFFICIO MEMBERS PRESENT: Marvin Ernst, Jane Harbaugh, Fred Obear, Charles Renneisen, Grayson Walker

AMONG THE GUESTS PRESENT: Bob Bass, Richard Brown, Ray Fox, Bob McNeely, Gail Meyer, Patsy Reynolds, Roy Stinnett

Call to Order

President Tom Bibler called the meeting to order at 3:16.

Approval of Minutes

With respect to "catching up," Professor Garrett said that the minutes should read "that 'the contingency pay increase' of 4% will not 'catch us up.' A 3% cost of living increase is expected, meaning that we might see an increase of as little as 0.8%."

Professor Honerkamp stated that the entire Handbook Committee had met with Katie High and others.

Professor Doug Kingdon is chair of the Academic Standards Committee.

The minutes were approved as corrected.

The Challenger Center

Dr. Bernard Benson began his report on the Challenger Center with a video which explained its use in a sixth grade class. The project was started because families of the Challenger astronauts wanted learning centers for children. Currently, there are fifteen active centers in the United States and Canada.

Funding for the UTC Challenger Center will be achieved in three phases:

l Phase 1 raises one million dollars from McKee Bakery, the City of Chattanooga, and Hamilton County.

l Phase 2 raises one million dollars from several benefactors; this effort is being coordinated by UTC and Chattem.

l Phase 3 raises one million dollars through an open campaign, to be launched once Phase 2 is completed.

The Center is to be located at the corner of Fifth and Palmetto Streets and will take about one-third of the former soccer field (leaving room for two intramural fields). Staff will include a Director (paid for by Challenger funds), a Flight Director from the City and County Schools, and a part-time technician from Chattanooga State. It is expected that about eighteen student jobs will be generated.

In answer to members' questions, Dr. Benson reported:

l that the Challenger Center can fit into the University curriculum in a number of ways. For example, Dr. Tom Gavin's graduate audit class is looking at the project and making financial recommendations; Dr. Patricia Perfetti's class is designing the ecospace; Dr. Steve LeWinter's students are designing a participatory mural.

l that the University has pledged maintenance of the facility.

l that the UC Foundation has not contributed funds yet because they do not contribute to construction costs.

l that faculty members would be invited to explore other ways that the Center could be of use to University personnel.

l that the facility will not be of much tourist interest.

l that elsewhere corporations have used Challenger Centers to evaluate how people work together to solve problems.

l that development of new programs as a result of the Center would come after we integrate it into existing courses.

l that there would be about ninety days of instruction, two flights per day with 35 to 40 children in each "flight." Because children will be through with the facility by 2:00, the Center should not present traffic problems for UTC.

l that UTC is committed to providing security.

Dr. Obear announced that the groundbreaking ceremony would take place October 6th at 9:00 a.m. and that everyone was welcome.

Committee Reports

Committee on Committees

Greg Sedrick reported that Sherry Pals had been recommended as the student representative for Honor Court. Professor Nick Honerkamp moved and Professor Carolyn Wiley seconded the motion that she be elected. The motion carried with one no vote and no abstentions.

Admissions Committee Report

Professor Larry Ingle asked about the status of the report. Professors Butterfield and Bibler recalled that it had been accepted by the Council last spring and that it is being reconsidered at Professor Ingle's request. He has a problem with the policy of allowing the Director of Admissions to admit people with deficiencies because it appears that it asks the Director of Admissions to take faculty responsibility. Professor Ray Hall, current chair of the committee, agreed that the committee was currently operating under the same guidelines as Professor Bass's committee did.

Patsy Reynolds noted that the Board of Trustees gave the Admissions Director such authority. Further, the process works much more smoothly, especially considering the number of applications the office is processing. She supplied some statistics: Of the 175 students admitted by her office with one deficiency, 92 had a fine arts deficiency; this is the first year the Fine Arts unit was required. In addition, her office admitted eighteen with two deficiencies and one with three deficiencies. A student with any deficiency is listed as conditional. The Admissions Office has, however, denied admission to some students it could have made exceptions for. Some of these have later appealed the decision to the committee. This year's freshman class has a higher GPA than last year's, as well as a greater number of guaranteed scholarship holders.

Professor Shawen asked who decided what is referred to the committee. Mrs. Reynolds replied that she, along with the Associate and Assistant Director, makes the decisions; if they are gone, she makes them herself.

Professor Ingle asked if the summer workload for faculty on the committee had been reduced as a result. Professor Hall believed that meeting time had decreased by about one third. Professor Gail Meyer said that because more committee members were able to come to the shorter meetings, there was more consistency of opinion. Meyer also remarked that some of the rules were subject to interpretation and should probably be clarified.

Professor Shawen reiterated that he was concerned with faculty abrogation of responsibility; he did not mean to imply that the student body has been weakened by the rules, as one member suggested.

Enrollment - Dean Ray Fox

Dean Fox reported that enrollment is up 5% in the freshmen class and 6% among transfers. He complimented Patsy Reynolds and her staff for their hard work. These figures are impressive in the face of declining numbers of high school graduates. The freshmen have slightly above a B high school average and an ACT of 22.2. Only 43.5% are developmental (as opposed to 46.7% last year). We have 7,113 undergraduate students. Minority freshman enrollment is 14.8%, up slightly from last year's 14.1%. He reported that our graduating classes were slightly larger last year.

Professor Meyer asked if fee payment would be before the first day of classes, as had been passed by the Council. Dean Fox answered yes. She then asked about the second part of the motion, passed October 15, 1992: that those who had not paid would be purged from the rolls that night so that the rolls we had the first day of class would contain only those who did pay. Chancellor Obear remarked that it had not been forgotten, but was not yet in place. He will report to the Faculty Council when it is in place.

In a related matter, Dean Renneisen reported the need for even more dormitory space. Chancellor Obear noted that two more apartment-like complexes such as those recently opened were planned, as well as a high-rise residence hall. Further, a 400-space parking garage and another food facility are to be constructed. As yet, there is no plan to build married student housing because it would be too expensive the way the dormitories are set up now.

Campus Safety

Assistant Vice Chancellor Richard Brown reported that we have a very safe campus, despite recent violence on the outskirts of campus. His staff has made several security improvements since last year:

l Hunter Hall has an escort service between 5 and 10 p.m.

l All parking lots have been relamped.

l Lighting has been placed around the jogging track.

l The library parking garage has been relamped.

l New lighting has been installed in the Amphitheater area.

Mr. Brown reported that he is on a community task force to look at development of the Martin Luther King Blvd. area so that it will have more residential density.

He urged members of the University community to do three things:

l If you come back to campus at night, inform security that you will be in the building after hours. They will check on you periodically.

l Continue to send a student access list to Brown's office if you desire students to be able to work after regular hours.

l Report anything which seems suspicious to his office.

Chancellor Obear's Report

Chancellor Obear said that much of what he was going to talk about had been covered in others' reports. He agreed to answer questions.

Professor Mike Russell wondered if he had heard correctly at Faculty Meeting that the Freshman Seminar was no longer funded by the UC Foundation. Obear said that he had heard correctly.

He also reported that we will get a 4% raise in January, not 2% as stated at that meeting.

Announcements

There were no announcements.

Adjournment

Professor Wiley moved and Professor Butterfield seconded a motion to adjourn. It passed unanimously, and the meeting was adjourned at 5:06 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sally Young

Secretary

top.gif (189 bytes)