shorttop.jpg (1907 bytes)

THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE AT CHATTANOOGA
FACULTY COUNCIL MINUTES

February 17, 1994
Signal Mountain Room
University Center

ELECTED MEMBERS PRESENT: Valarie Adams, Jim Avery, Will Bertin, Tom Bibler, Martha Butterfield, Ken Carson, Neal Coulter, Susan Davidson, Lloyd Davis, Robert Duffy, Aniekan Ebiefung, Fritz Efaw, Howard Finch, Jack Freeman, Nick Honerkamp, Larry Ingle, David Levine, Loretta Prater, Richard Rice, Ossama Saleh, Greg Sedrick, Edgar Shawen, Clint Smullen, Jim Stroud, Larry Tillman, John Tinkler, Jeannette Vallier, Terry Walters, Carolyn Wiley, David Wiley, Sally Young

ELECTED MEMBERS ABSENT: Monte Coulter, John Garrett, Doug Kingdon, Clifford Parten, Joe Trahan, Ling-Jun Wang

EX-OFFICIO MEMBERS PRESENT: Fred Obear, Charles Renneisen

AMONG THE GUESTS PRESENT: Michael Bell, Bill Butterfield, Ray Hall, Ralph Moser, Charles Nelson, Vincent Pellegrino, Marea Rankin, Laurie Speck (Echo)

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 3:16 p.m. by President Tom Bibler in the Signal Mountain Room of the University Center.

Approval of Minutes

Larry Ingle noted that on page 2, his amendment should read: Separate the Legal Assistant Studies Program from the rest of the proposals and postpone action on it until we see a cover sheet, a needs assessment, and a statement of impact on staffing, on curriculum, and on library.

Susan Davidson was present at the last meeting, not absent as reported.

The minutes were approved as corrected.

Report from Speakers and Special Events Committee

Professor Bill Butterfield circulated the most recent report from his committee. Then he presented an information item. When he attended recent budget hearings, an annual convocation was suggested. Chancellor Obear mentioned Founders Day in October as a possible date. One class period, for example from 10:50 until 12:05, would be dismissed so that students could attend. Professors might have classes meet there. A speaker of national prominence and a topic of great interest would be featured. Later, the speaker would be available for discussion with faculty and students. Currently our only ceremony which brings staff and students together is graduation.

Professor Terry Walters suggested that we not hold convocation during primary class hours. Professor Butterfield feared that if the convocation were held too late in the afternoon, few students would attend. Once we got this event started, it might draw bigger crowds later on.

Professor Larry Ingle asked what its status was.

Professor Butterfield said that it has no status. No formal action has been taken.

Dean Charles Renneisen said that SGA would be enthusiastic about the idea, especially with a hot topic. He believes that even if the topic did not hit every academic subject, it would be of general interest. Further, he would like to have the event scheduled far enough in advance so that syllabi could be planned around it.

Professor Butterfield would like a committee appointed to study it.

Professor Bibler asked members with further comments to contact a member of the Executive Committee or Professor Bill Butterfield.

Report from the Curriculum Committee

Professor Ken Venters presented the proposal for the Legal Assistant Studies Program.

Professor Valarie Adams noted that the math on p. 31 is incorrect.

Professor Randy Walker said that revenue generated by the program will exceed start-up costs.

Professor Adams asked if money would be coming to the library to support the subscriptions listed.

Professor Larry Ingle said he was interested in the track record of other departments with similar programs. In the School of Social and Community Services, for example, how many faculty are in Criminal Justice?

Professor Reginald Avery said that there are three full time and several adjuncts for both the undergraduate and graduate degree.

Professor Ingle asked what the library budget for Criminal Justice was. (He received no answer.) He wonders if other departments which expand get needed support. He wants assurance that we would have a quality program.

Professor Randy Walker noted that the department is searching for a replacement now; they had a retirement in December. Eventually Criminal Justice will have six full-time members.

Professor Ingle said we need to find out where the money is going. He believes that three people have trouble offering both graduate and undergraduate degrees.

Professor Walker said that in four to five years, the Legal Assistant Studies Program will have at least three-and-a-half full time faculty; the enrollment in the program would add one teacher or perhaps more to the University as a whole in departments where students are taking general education courses.

Programs can be costed out fairly accurately.

Professor Ingle asked if Criminal Justice cannot find the funds, will money be taken out of other peoples' library budgets?

Professor Walker answered that to his knowledge, they have never asked that. Library costs are skyrocketing and problems do not result just from expansion of programs.

Professor James Avery noted that on page 29 of the Needs and Impact Analysis, the chart should read academic rank of Assistant Professor, full time not instructor at 50-75%. We will probably not find an associate professor as mentioned in the preceding paragraph.

Professor Jeannette Vallier inquired about classroom space. Where will Criminal Justice find classrooms for the program?

Professor Randy Walker said that they would follow a suggestion made during the last Faculty Council meeting to expand the hours classes were offered; they expect a number of evening classes with many part-time students. Professor William Hall suggested Saturday classes, as many interested in the program are non-traditional students.

Professor Carolyn Wiley asked how the four-year curriculum differed from the two-year.

Professor Hall noted that the two-year is very technical, whereas the four-year gives a more liberal education, making the student more well-rounded.

Chattanooga State Technical Community College has 165 majors of whom about 21 would like to start this fall in UTC's program.

Professor Carolyn Wiley asked if people with the B.S. degree would get different jobs than those with an associate degree.

Professor Walker said they would probably be doing much the same job, but the B.S. person would have a greater managerial responsibility.

Professor Bibler asked parliamentarian David Wiley if we needed a motion to proceed because this matter had been separated from the main motion at the last meeting.

Amidst a chorus u-huhs, Professor David Wiley ruled that we did.

Professor Richard Rice moved to accept the recommendation of the Curriculum Committee with respect to the Legal Assistant Studies Program. Professor Jim Stroud seconded.

Professor Rice believed that transfers would have had many of their courses already.

Professor Hall believes that approximately twenty out of twenty-five transfers would like the four-year degree. Seven will come anyway whether they go into Legal Assistant Studies or not.

Professor Walker reminded the Council that students have to take a minimum number of courses to graduate. Students who have already done much general work could specialize in something like managing trusts. The people at CSTCC aren't concerned that we're flooding the market with graduates. There are many opportunities not in law offices.

Professor Vallier asked if the department was ready to offer advanced courses as soon as the program was approved. Were faculty members in place already?

Professor Walker said that as soon as funding was approved, they would have a new faculty member.

Professor Ingle asked what percentage were adjuncts.

Professor Walker said that 20% or less is the general policy.

Chancellor Obear said that two of the four steps required to get UC Foundation funding had been completed; the third step is on the agenda for next week. He believes it will be approved. Then it goes to the UT Board of Trustees.

Professor Ingle asked about the $50,000 for the first year. Would it go for faculty salaries and secretarial assistance?

Professor Walker replied that most of it would.

Professor Ingle asked if the administration would have to find money for periodicals and ancillary services.

Professor Walker said that student tuition will offset some of the costs.

Professor Mike Bell said he understood that the start-up cost of $11,000 to $12,000 for subscriptions was to be funded by the UC Foundation.

Professor Hall reminded Council that students can use the Hamilton County law library and the CSTCC library on Lee Highway. The $11,000 to $12,000 was a wish list. They will order materials depending on available money. They will have to choose between Lexis and Westlaw.

Mike Bell asked if funding for the library was built into the THEC proposal.

Larry Ingle interjected a question for someone in the library. He wanted to know how money is broken down between departments. If the first year of a program costs over $11,000, where does the money come from?

Professor Walker said the department did not plan to order all materials the first year.

Professor Ingle said that was his point. We want quality programs. Where will the promised money come from later? It seems to disappear. He wants something real, not just dreams. Although he likes to think of himself as progressive, he sees himself instead as a naysayer. But he would prefer to have no added program than to have a poorly funded program which cannot live up to its promises.

Professor Walker said he could not guarantee that the money would be there, but he has been told he will get resources when a need is shown.

Professor Ingle wondered if Walker got promised money, would funding be reduced to other departments?

Professor Walker said no, the library does not do that. He thinks the desired growth will come from adding good programs. Students enrolled will help pay for the program.

Chancellor Obear interjected a remark in the absence of Provost Grayson Walker. He noted that the Provost is interested in developing this program and committed to making it a quality program. There may be readjustments if he deems it necessary. He hopes Faculty Council will act on the assumption that the funding will be there.

Professor Marea Rankin said that the last big program added was Physical Therapy. What percentage of tuition for that program goes to the library? The Chancellor did not have that number in his head.

Professor Honerkamp noted that we share a fear that everything will be strained even further. But he wants to support the University at large, not just his own department. He supports growth and change of the University. He is willing to take a chance. If the Provost backs it, he thinks he will. We have not questioned the nature of the program, only the resources to support it.

Professor David Wiley noted that having Westlaw could be an advantage to others besides Legal Assistant students. Wiley would like library changes right away. He is not sure that change necessarily means a drop in some other area. He wonders whether this university should have that professional program, and he thinks we should vote on that basis.

Chancellor Obear noted that in the five-year plan, the program was identified by the Faculty Council as desirable.

Professor Richard Rice wanted to raise another issue. What kind of career is this? Often history majors go into this type of career. We may not have the net gain as promised because students in other majors may switch. More and more jobs require credentialing, not just educating.

Professor Robert Duffy brought up the Physical Therapy program. What is the recent history of that addition? Would it help us to decide that the Legal Assistant Program would be successful? Did Physical Therapy get the funding, library holdings, and so forth that it needed?

Professor Randy Walker said that the Physical Therapy Program is different because it is a legislative mandate through the THEC budget. The Legal Assistant Program starts at the local level and works up.

Professor Duffy asked if there is a model we could use.

Chancellor Obear stated that Physical Therapy was brought on line with a certain level of support. It's not part of formula funding. They do not get more money because of the way they were funded. The source is different, and the money is different.

Professor Larry Tillman noted that Physical Therapy is at full staffing. They have 165 applications for 32 positions this year. They do have library support. It has been a success across the line. He notes that much of their equipment has been acquired creatively.

Professor Ingle wondered if Communication is not a better comparison. They have few faculty members in relation to the number of majors.

Chancellor Obear said he does not know exactly how positions have been determined, but additional Communication staff has not been high on the Provost's list. He noted that we are well on the way to accreditation in that program.

Professor Ingle noted that Physical Therapy has already been accredited. Is that because of more available funding?

Chancellor Obear said that Physical Therapy accreditation is different; there's more pressure there because graduates cannot get a job if the program is not accredited.

Professor Martha Butterfield called for the question.

The motion carried 20-9-1.

Report from Graphic Services

Randall Gray was out of town. He was to speak concerning security of duplicated tests. He will prepare a flyer offering suggestions for faculty, including bringing them to the center in the Administrative Services Building rather than the Stadium. If we still have questions after reading the flyer, he will be happy to come.

Professor Richard Rice noted that a major problem occurred last semester; faculty need to be aware.

Professor Martha Butterfield asked if Graphic Services delivered. She does not want to ask her secretary to haul materials from the Administrative Services Building.

Mr. Ralph Moser suggested using sealed envelopes.

Professor Rice said there was a case before the Honor Court involving security, but he cannot reveal any details.

Mr. Moser was under the impression that staff ran the exams.

Professor Bibler said we will await the flyer.

Report from the Committee on Committees

Professor Greg Sedrick said that he wanted to start an Ad Hoc Faculty Activity Card Committee to investigate the concept of a faculty activity card to insure faculty privileges at sporting events. He passed around a sheet for members to sign. At our last meeting, Athletic Director Ed Farrell seemed positive about it.

He also noted that there is concern on campus about classroom technology such as what's happening with fiber optics, electronic journals, and the blurring roles between the library and computers. He asked Janet Wixson and Randy Whitson how they currently get their information about communication. Currently, Ms. Wixson gives information to a CECA Administrative Committee.

Professor Sedrick wants a standing committee to look into collaboration with other faculty to provide voice to the library and to CECA. Janet Wixson gave a positive response; she welcomes input from the faculty. Professor Sedrick passed around a sheet for members to sign up to be on the Classroom Technology and Networking Committee.

Professor Clint Smullen noted that he was formerly chair of a similar committee which had been discontinued.

As a related item, Professor David Wiley asked what kind of a card people were using to check out at the cafeteria.

Mr. Moser said that many faculty and staff have it. You pay in advance, and then subtract from your account when you use your card.

Professor Wiley would like more information about it.

Report from the Council of Academic Department Heads

Professor Charles Nelson reported on faculty salaries and distributed a synopsis to Faculty Council. The full report has been sent to President Tom Bibler and Provost Grayson Walker. The report compared UTC salaries to those published by the College and University Personnel Association (CUPA).

According to the report, about thirty UTC faculty were below the floor of 85% of the CUPA national average. The Council of Academic Department Heads recommended that these people get an adjustment this year.

He also asked Institutional Research to get information on department head and library faculty salaries.

The Deans Council endorsed the report and its three recommendations. They would like to have input. They also want those who got exceptional merit for the last two years to be considered for a salary adjustment, but they do not want such adjustments to be taken out of the general salary pool.

Professor Ingle asked who determined the prearranged floor?

Professor Nelson was not sure; he thinks it has something to do with our lower standard of living. Amid cheers and laughter, he rephrased his answer to say that he thought it has something to do with our lower COST of living here, which is about 85% of the national average.

Professor Honerkamp asked what did the report mean by "addressing" and "separately created"?

Professor Nelson said that we want to have exceptional merit money go to those who did not get it in the last salary adjustment. "Separately created" means that we want money not from a raise pool, but from somewhere else.

Professor Martha Butterfield has an NEA report she will share.

Professor Carolyn Wiley asked why look into the other salaries Professor Nelson previously mentioned?

Professor Nelson thought that they believed some department heads may also be below the 85% floor. As yet, they do not know what they have found.

Professor David Wiley said someone had approached him who did not believe that retention, promotion, and tenure were always granted in line with our Faculty Handbook. Some faculty think there is lack of regularity which may have come out of good intentions.

Professor Nelson thinks rules are clearly spelled out in the new Handbook. If department heads do not follow the guidelines, they should be consulted.

Professor Wiley asked about following the guidelines at the dean level.

Professor Nelson believes deans do follow them.

Professor Wiley said he would talk to Professor Nelson privately later.

Professor Nelson said they are training new department heads in the EDO process.

Report from the Provost

Provost Grayson Walker was still in Nashville. He was to talk on how faculty status is determined and will do so at the next meeting.

 

Report from the Executive Committee

After being unable to reach consensus about what the vote of the full faculty meant concerning Freshman Seminar (did it mean only that the course was no longer required, or did it mean that Freshman Seminar no longer existed as a course), the Executive Committee decided that it should be sent to the Curriculum Committee as an elective course. Following their action, they will bring the matter back before the Faculty Council.

Professor Larry Ingle asked if this rescinded the ruling from the last meeting.

President Bibler said that it did.

Professor Jim Stroud asked if that meant that Freshman Seminar as it previously existed is no more.

President Bibler said yes.

President Bibler also said that we are getting more responses regarding health care. They will be added to the minutes. President Johnson wrote that he has had physicians who have withdrawn and he, too, is complaining to Blue Cross and to the State of Tennessee.

Professor David Wiley has read that some cities and counties have changed their programs. Why can't we?

President Bibler didn't know. He noted that Eli Fly had said that UTK had a resolution similar to UTC's and that both will be presented to the State Insurance Committee.

Governor Ned McWherter said the state is committed to giving us good health care.

The Tennessee Provider Network will be in effect until April.

Representative Bobby Wood said that several bills will be presented in session to prevent the Blue Cross-TennCare tie.

John Arriola has introduced House Bill 2289 which requires a monitoring of providers in specific categories and a limit of patients for them. It also proposes a limit to the case load a physician would be required to handle.

Professor Lloyd Davis asked if there was someone we could contact who is interested in this issue.

Professor Martha Butterfield named Ken Meyer. She mentioned that when the Executive Committee had met with the Chancellor last week, we asked about supplemental insurance at a group rate to which the state would make no contribution. Our costs with our regular insurance will go up 30-50% by most estimates.

The Chancellor had already asked Peri Meadows to look into such insurance. Unfortunately, it may be more costly to purchase the supplemental insurance than to pay the additional non-TPN rate.

President Bibler reminded Council of the April 5 retirement dinner. It will honor Joe Jackson, Thor Hall, Gene Vredeveld, Stan Fjeld, Jim Ware, and Paul DeVivo.

The Provost is working on a plan for a picture directory of faculty in conjunction with our Silver Anniversary.

Professor David Wiley asked how the search for Dean of Libraries was coming. President Bibler will have a report on this issue next time.

Announcements

Professor Immaculate Kizza encouraged all faculty members to attend an open session with Alma Vineyard of Clark University who is a consultant concerning the Black Studies minor.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 4:43 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sally Young

Secretary

top.gif (189 bytes)