Student Advocacy & Support
Cases that present an immediate threat to self, others, or property should be considered an emergency and directed to the UTC Department of Public Safety at (423) 425-HELP/4357 or 911 (from on-campus phone).
Student Advocacy & Support, within the Office of the Dean of Students, offers support to students experiencing challenges in their personal and/or academic lives. The Case Manager or Office of the Dean of Students staff member works to connect students to both on- and off-campus resources that meet their specific needs; to provide advocacy and help in working with professors and navigating campus procedures; and encourages the development of student coping skills, resiliency, and self-advocacy.
Please note: Our office does not provide counseling services.
Who might benefit from these services?
Being a student is challenging on its own. While the Office of the Dean of Students is here to be an advocate and a connector for all students, sometimes we face challenges in life and need additional help. The Case Manager is here to help students navigate these challenges in order to be as successful as possible as both a student and a person.
Challenges/crises may include (but are not limited to):
- Mental health concerns
- Physical illness/injury
- Death of a friend or family member
- Family emergency
- Attempted suicide
- Hate/bias related incidents
- Interpersonal violence or stalking
- Sexual or physical assault
- Missing or unresponsive student
- Apartment or house fire
- Natural disaster
- Financial concerns or burden
- Housing or food insecurity
- Concerns about academic adjustment or performance
What services are offered?
Each student who comes in to meet with the Case Manager or Office of the Dean of Students staff member has their needs assessed so that any services offered are catered to their unique needs.
Services provided may include (but are not limited to):
- Student absence notifications
- Outreach and advocacy for students
- Coordination with relevant UTC departments
- On- and off-campus resource referrals
- Short term emergency shelter (when available)
- General consultation
If you have further questions please contact Student Advocacy & Support at (423) 425-4301.