ACT Summer Institute
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's ACT test preparation program covers the skills needed for success on the ACT.
The ACT Summer Institute consists of 20 hours of classroom instruction covered in an intensive one-week format. The Summer Institute features instruction from an ACT test preparation expert and extensive online review tools. Our comprehensive program emphasizes the ACT test components: Test Taking Strategies, Question Formats, Math, English, Reading Comprehension, and Science Reasoning.
Students receive in-depth review of the exam materials, insight into strategies for succeeding on standardized tests, and a comprehensive study plan. Class sessions use real test questions to show just how these skills are tested. The course fee includes all classroom and online sessions and course materials.
Students also receive access to online review sessions and open office hours in the time leading up to fall exam dates.
The ACT Summer Institute includes:
- 20 hours of expert classroom instruction
- Access to online office hours
- 4 hours of live-online review leading up to the fall test dates
- Course textbook: The Real ACT Prep Guide
- Real ACT practice questions and tests
- Course workbook
- Easy-to-follow study plan
The ACT Summer Institute Covers:
- Practice solution techniques for problems containing variables.
- Learn efficient approaches to complicated multi-step problems.
- Discover tactics for translating difficult word problems into equations.
- Identify correct idiomatic speech in sentence correction problems.
- Understand the basic concepts of rhetorical construction.
- Learn which grammar errors are most frequently tested.
- Understand which part of the passage to read for reading comprehension questions.
- Recognize the difference between global and local test items.
- Identify passages written from the journalistic and engaged perspectives.
Science Reasoning Topics
- Identify parameters for test items involving graphs and charts.
- Interpolate or extrapolate answers from data given in tables.
- Recognize the point of an experiment in research summary items.
General Test Taking Topics
- Use the process of elimination.
- Master time management skills.
- Minimize test anxiety.
- Identify common distractors.
Online Review Tools to Help You Stay at Your Peak!
The ACT Summer Institute includes online tools to help students perform at their peak on test day. Four online review sessions are held in the weeks leading up to the fall ACT test dates. Weekly online office hours also provide a convenient way for students to address specific questions or concerns that they may have. Students need only have high-speed access to the internet, speakers, and Adobe Flash Player to participate in the online sessions—no additional software is required.
The interactive, one-hour online review sessions allow students to participate and ask questions of our expert test prep instructors. The live-online review sessions are also recorded—students can still benefit even if their schedule doesn’t allow live participation. Review sessions will be scheduled between the end of your course and the fall test dates.
Online office hours are free-form meetings open to any student in an ACT Summer Institute. Instructors will be available to answer any questions that you might have. The sessions are “drop-in” sessions and are student-directed, meaning that there will not be a planned presentation each session. Our instructors will answer questions and work through problems in the order that they are received.
Online Review System Requirements: The Live-Online ACT sessions are offered online using a free Adobe Connect browser plug-in. All you need is a high speed internet connection, speakers, and Adobe Flash Player, which can also be downloaded for free.
Note: The Adobe Connect plug-in, microphone, and camera are not required or used in the delivery of the online review sessions.
Who Should Take This Course?
The ACT Summer Institute is ideal for students that need an intensive preparation program during the summer. This one-week institute is delivered over four consecutive days and requires students to continue to practice their skills in the weeks and months leading up to the exam. Students are expected to actively participate in class and in the online review sessions.
Students generally take the ACT during their junior year of high school. This course is ideal for rising juniors who may be taking the test for the first time and for those high school students who have already taken the exam but wish to improve their scores.
About Our Program:
UTC’s Test Prep program is a partner with Educational Testing Consultants, a leader in higher education test preparation. Each year, Educational Testing Consultants helps thousands of students prepare for the important pre-college standardized tests at major colleges and universities across the United States. Educational Testing Consultants provides a proven program with a record of success and highly trained, top-quality instructors.
Don't See a Program Near You?
University Test Prep also offers customized ACT Test Prep programs for schools, nonprofit organizations, and community groups. If you don't see a program near you or would like details about our custom programs, please call our professional staff at (423) 425-4344 or email us at ContEduc@utc.edu.