UTC’s mechanical engineering program prepares mechanical engineering students for successful careers in industry and academia, and provides service to the mechanical engineering profession and to the State of Tennessee.
Our Program Educational Objectives
UTC’s mechanical engineering program:
- Prepares mechanical engineering students who are technically competent.
- Prepares students thoroughly in methods of analysis appropriate to solving mechanical engineering problems.
- Develops skills pertinent to the design process including economic considerations
- Teaches students to use modern computer-based data acquisition and analysis for design and control of engineering systems.
- Instills in our students an understanding of their professional, societal, and ethical responsibilities and need for lifelong learning.
- Produces students who are progressing towards professional licensure and continual professional development.
- Produces students who are able to work effectively in teams and who demonstrate good communication skills.
Prior to graduation, each mechanical engineering graduate of UTC will have demonstrated:
(a) an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
(b) an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
(c) an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
(d) an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
(e) an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
(f) an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
(g) an ability to communicate effectively
(h) the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
(i) a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
(j) a knowledge of contemporary issues
(k) an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.