Living Learning Community
The College of Business would like to welcome you to UTC for the fall 2014 semester. For the second year, the College of Business will host a “Living and Learning Community” for a select group of incoming business freshmen. We are looking for students who exhibit the potential to be both outstanding leaders and scholars in and out of the classroom. If this sounds like you, then please keep reading!
The BUSINESS LLC is a “Learning and Living Community” hosted in conjunction with UTC’s Housing Department. The BUSINESS LLC provides first-time freshmen who are pre-Business majors the opportunity to:
- Integrate academic and social lives through common living quarters, class schedules and outside activities during their freshman year at UTC
- Work closely with juniors and seniors majoring in business, College faculty, campus administrators and community leaders while on campus
Students who participate in any LLC exhibit higher academic success during their first year in college; develop strong interpersonal relationships in and out of the classroom; utilize more campus resources; participate in more campus activities; and mature into confident leaders in and out of college.
“What is a Living and Learning Community (LLC)?”
An LLC is a cohort of 25-30 students sharing majors, schedules and living space. Students attend the same sections of core classes and live in the same residence hall. LLC Students will also be involved in a variety of activities such as specially designed residential and business events. The purpose of the LLC is to:
- Connect with the College of Business
- Connect with other business majors
- Gain educational experience outside of the classroom
- Interact with business faculty, college administration and the community
- Succeed academically through active learning and teamwork
- HAVE FUN!
“Living”Participants in the BUSINESS LLC will live in the Walker Apartments on South Campus, on the corner of Baldwin and 8th streets…only blocks from Fletcher Hall! Students will room four to an apartment. Each apartment is partially furnished and has four bedrooms, a kitchen, two bathrooms, telephone service, basic cable service and access to shared laundry facilities. As part of residence life and the BUSINESS LLC, students will participate in both housing and College of Business events that foster interpersonal relationships, collegial connections and fun! Activities may include:
- College of Business cookout
- “Down with the Dean”
- Intramural sports
- Movie night
- UTC sporting events
- UTC art and theatre events
“Learning”Students will share a common schedule that includes seven overlapping hours in English, Math and a one-hour BUSINESS LLC orientation course. They will participate in outside activities that enrich and support classroom learning while strengthening group and leadership skills. Activities will range from:
- Attending student organizational meetings
- Attending College entrepreneurial events
- Participating in group discussions with business faculty and student peers
- Participating in group study sessions
- Participating in leadership seminars and workshops
- Shadowing juniors and seniors in upper division courses
The College of Business hopes you are as excited as we are about the BUSINESS LLC. We hope you will join us in ushering in the 2014-2015 academic year and help to make the 2014 BUSINESS LLC a great success! Space is limited, so don’t wait… apply today!
Students interested in applying to the BUSINESS LLC:
- Must be admitted to UTC
- Declare one of the eight pre-Business concentrations as their major
- Apply to live on campus
- Submit the online BUSINESS LLC application* by May 1, 2014
* (NOTE: You must be logged into your UTC e-mail account in order to access the online application.)
- And prepare to experience a year-long adventure!
- Apply for housing with UTC's Housing Department
- Pay the $25 non-refundable housing application fee
- Pay the $225 reservation fee within 10 days of your housing assignment
- Choose your desired meal plan