International Business Experience
- INSTRUCTOR: Dr. Katherine Karl, Professor of Management, UTC College Of Business
- STUDY TRIP: August 11-20
- COURSE MEETING TIMES: Study trip dates listed above and two class meeting times before and at least one after the trip. (Work in course done by early fall semester.)
- Undergraduate Students- 3 credit-hour course (MGT 4950) that counts as a general business elective
- Graduate Students- 3-credit hour course (MGT 5000) that counts as MBA or MAcc elective
This course focuses on creating an appreciation of the complexities of operating a business in a foreign context and understanding the economic, political, cultural and social factors at the international level. This course provides students with a truly real-world experience in international business, where they will gain an understanding of other cultures and learn the challenges and opportunities of doing business outside the United States. Students also will participate in business visits and discussions with international business leaders and professors while sharing in a different and unforgettable cultural experience. International travel and final presentation required.
Also required are online readings and quizzes prior to the trip, attendance at two class meetings (2.5 hours each) prior to the trip, class presentation on doing business in Spain (specific topics TBA), and a daily journal during the trip.
PREREQUISITES (no prior business coursework required):
Undergraduate Students- 1) Open to any major with at least junior standing, 2) 2.5 minimum GPA
Graduates Students- 3.0 minimum GPA
No Spanish language knowledge needed.
BUSINESS & CULTURAL TRIPS: Includes business visits in Barcelona, Spain, as well as cultural tours in the following Spanish cities and towns: Barcelona, Montserrat, Figueres, & Cadaques.
- TRIP COST: (TENTATIVE: estimated $4000) & covers the following:
- Group airfare & ground transportation
- Eight nights of hotel accommodations with complimentary breakfast & internet.
- Welcome & farewell dinners.
- Gratuities for guides, drivers, porters, waiters (for group meals).
- Assistance of one local English speaking guide for all scheduled cultural activities, business meetings, and group dinners.
- UTC COB course differential fee & international programs fee (includes international medical insurance coverage for use on trip)
- ADDITIONAL COSTS:
- Passport (if don't already have valid one) & most meals (approximately $700)
- Cost of three-hour credit course (Because of the UTC tuition cap, if you are already scheduled to take 12 undergraduate hours or nine graduate hours in the fall, you wouldn’t have to pay for this course’s credit hours.)
- Financial aid can be used to help pay these related course costs. In addition, eligible students may be able to apply for small College of Business scholarships to assist with the cost of the course.
STUDY TRIP CALENDAR (Tentative)
|Thursday, August 11||Depart for Barcelona|
|Friday, August 12||Free Day- to rest from overnight flight and get acclimated to different time zone. In the evening, taste the local cuisine at a welcome dinner.|
|Saturday, August 13||Guided city tour to include Gothic quarter, Barcelona Cathedral, Sagrada Familia, Quadrat d'Or and Par Guell (Guell Park).|
|Sunday, August 14||Day trip to Montserrat Monastery with cable ride up and visit to the museum.|
|Monday, August 15||Depart for full day excursion to Figueres and Cadaques. Visit Figueres, the birthpace of Salvador Dali and home to the world famous Dali Museum-Theatre. Then head to the beautiful coastal village of Cadaques, one of the most picturesque villages on the Coasta Brava.|
|Tuesday, August 16||Study Spain's business climate with visits to two businesses (businesses TBA).|
|Wednesday, August 17||Study Spain's business climate with visits two businesses (businesses TBA).|
|Thursday, August 18||Study Spain's business climate with one business visit (TBA) in the morning and the afternoon is free for independent exploration in Barcelona.|
|Friday, August 19||Free day to explore Barcelona and group farewell dinner.|
|Saturday, August 20||Return trip to U.S.|
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
- College of Business Graduate Programs Office- Elizabeth-Bell@utc.edu
- Course instructor- Dr. Katherine Karl
Submit an Application to Be Considered for this Course: