Mexican Culture & How to Do Business in Mexico
- INSTRUCTOR: Dr. Frank Butler, Assistant Professor of Management, UTC College Of Business
- STUDY TRIP: August 7-16
- COURSE MEETING TIMES: Study trip dates listed above and one Saturday before and after the trip. (Work in course done by early fall semester.)
- Undergraduate Students- 3 credit-hour course (MGT 4999) that counts as a general business elective
- Graduate Students- 3-credit hour course (MGT 5000) that counts as MBA or MAcc elective
With over 112 million people, Mexico is the 11th largest economy worldwide in terms of gross domestic product and second in Latin America. This course will focus on the economic, political, and social issues surrounding Mexico’s developing market and its business relations with the United States. This course is designed to provide students with a truly real-world experience in international business and public relations, where they will gain an understanding of the Mexican culture and learn the challenges and opportunities of doing business in Mexico, firsthand. Students will also participate in business visits and discussions with Mexican business leaders and professors, while sharing in a different, and unforgettable cultural experience.
UPAEP, UTC's partner university in Puebla, Mexico, is setting up all cultural and business visits and will be the host to students while on this study trip. Students will stay in UPAEP residence halls and attend specially designed classes and lectures at the University. UPAEP professors will join the UTC course instructor in leading these class sessions.
PREREQUISITES (no prior business coursework required):
Undergraduate Students- 1) Open to any major with at least junior standing, 2) 2.5 minimum GPA
Graduates Students- 3.0 minimum GPA
No Spanish language knowledge needed.
BUSINESS & CULTURAL TRIPS: Includes business visits in Puebla, Mexico, as well as cultural tours (Puebla’s downtown, Cholula, Mexico City, and the Teotihuacan Pyramids).
- Program fee (approximately $2500)- covers lodging, breakfasts and lunches, local transportation, tour guide, tours and associated admission fees
- Airfare- (estimated $600-$700 from Atlanta)
- Cost of three-hour credit course (Because of the UTC tuition cap, if you are already scheduled to take 12 undergraduate hours or nine graduate hours in the fall, you wouldn’t have to pay for this course’s credit hours.)
- Financial aid can be used to help pay these related course costs. In addition, eligible students may be able to apply for scholarships to assist with the cost of the course.
STUDY TRIP CALENDAR
|Thursday, August 7||Arrival to Mexico City and Puebla|
|Friday, August 8||Orientation Session, First Class, UPAEP Puebla University Tour & Welcome Celebration|
|Saturday, August 9||Downtown Puebla Tour|
|Sunday, August 10||Cholula Tour|
|Monday, August 11||Class, Lunch, and Business Visit|
|Tuesday, August 12||Class, Lunch, and Business Visit|
|Wednesday, August 13||Class, Lunch, and Business Visit|
|Thursday, August 14||Cultural Trip to Mexico City|
|Friday, August 15||Cultural Trip to Teotihuacan Pyramids|
|Saturday, August 16||Return trip to U.S.|
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
- College of Business Graduate Programs Office- Elizabeth-Bell@utc.edu
- Course instructor- Dr. Frank Butler (Frank-Butler@utc.edu)
Submit an Application to Be Considered for this Course: