INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS EXPERIENCE
German Culture & How to Do Business in Germany
- INSTRUCTOR: Dr. Frank Butler, Assistant Professor of Management, UTC College Of Business
- STUDY TRIP: May 21- June 2, 2016
- COURSE MEETING TIMES: Study trip dates listed above and one Saturday before and after the trip. (Work in course done in May and early June.)
- Undergraduate Business Students- 3 credit-hour course (MGT 4950, CRN# 27243) that counts as a general business elective
- Graduate Business Students- 3-credit hour course (MGT 5000, CRN# 25835) that counts as MBA or MAcc elective
- Students Outside of College of Business- Graduate students sign up for MGT 5000 (CRN# 25835) and undergraduate students sign up for MGT 4950 (CRN #27243). Check with your major advisor for more information about how this course could count towards your major or program's curriculum requirements. If your advisor or graduate coordinator needs a copy of the course syllabus, contact Elizabeth-Bell@utc.edu.
With over 80 million people, Germany is the 4th largest economy worldwide in terms of gross domestic product and first in Europe. This course will focus on creating an understanding of the economic, political, cultural and social factors of Germany and how these impact how a business operates in the largest European economy. In addition, Germany’s role in the European Union and how the European Union influences business will be detailed.
This course is designed to provide students with a truly real-world experience in international business, where they will gain an understanding of the German culture and learn the challenges and opportunities of doing business in Germany, firsthand. Students will also participate in business visits and discussions with German business leaders and professors, while sharing in a different, and unforgettable cultural experience.
PREREQUISITES (no prior business coursework required):
Undergraduate Students- 1) Open to any major with at least junior standing, 2) 2.5 minimum GPA
Graduates Students- 3.0 minimum GPA
No German language knowledge needed.
BUSINESS , University, & CULTURAL TRIPS:
- Business visits in Wolfsburg, Germany, at companies, including Volkswagen (headquarters) and Jagermeister.
- 6 night stay in Wolfsburg, 3 night stay in Leipzig, and 2 night stay in Berlin.
- Cultural tours in the German cities of Wolfsburg, Berlin, and Leipzig.
- While in Wolfsburg, the group will tour Volkswagen & the Autostadt, and participate in an intercultural dialogue.
- The group's Wolfsburg host is Ostfalia University, a UTC and College of Business international partner university. The group will attend lectures and discussions at Ostfalia during the stay in Wolfsburg.
- Program fee (estimated at $2500)- covers lodging, breakfasts, local transportation, tour guide, tours and associated admission fees
- Airfare- (estimated $1500 round-trip from Atlanta to Berlin)
- Cost of three-hour credit course (Because of the UTC tuition cap, if you are already scheduled to take 12 undergraduate hours or nine graduate hours in the spring, you wouldn’t have to pay for this course’s credit hours.)
- Financial aid can be used to help pay these related course costs. In addition, eligible students may be able to apply for scholarships to assist with the cost of the course.
STUDY TRIP CALENDAR (Subject to change)
|Sunday, May 22||
|Monday, May 23||
|Tuesday, May 24||
|Wednesday, May 25||
|Thursday, May 26||
|Friday, May 27||
|Saturday, May 28||Leipzig, Germany|
|Sunday, May 29||Leipzig, Germany|
|Monday, May 30||Leipzig, Germany|
|Tuesday, May 31||Berlin, Germany|
|Wednesday, June 1||
|Thursday, June 2||
Departure home to U.S.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
- College of Business Graduate Programs Office- Elizabeth-Bell@utc.edu
- Course instructor- Dr. Frank Butler (Frank-Butler@utc.edu)
Submit an Application to Be Considered for this Course:
APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR COURSE: Friday, November 13