Frequently Asked Questions

What will be expected of me as a graduate student?
You must demonstrate the ability to communicate both orally and in writing in each required course. Your communication abilities will be demonstrated by completing various assignments, including:

  • Research Papers
  • Written article summaries
  • Case write-ups and presentations
  • Oral debates (with written summaries)
  • Essay exams
  • Oral presentations
  • Audits (written reports and oral presentations)
  • Comprehensive business plans
  • Application of knowledge
  • Computer competency skills

When are classes held? 
Graduate classes usually meet once a week during the fall and spring semester from 5:30-8:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday, for a three credit hour course. During the abbreviated summer semester, two seven-week sessions are held and courses meet twice a week in the evening from 5:30-8:40 p.m. A limited number of courses are offered in the afternoons from 2:00-4:30 in the fall and spring semesters.

Are Graduate Assistantships available? 
A limited number of graduate assistantships are available to graduate students. If you wish to apply, you should contact the College of Business Graduate Programs Office at (423) 425-4210 and the Graduate School at (423) 425-4666. Students must be fully admitted to the program and must complete two applications to be considered - the College of Business Application and the Graduate School Application. General assistantship information can be found on the Graduate School website.

What is the purpose of The Graduate School?
The Graduate School is responsible for admissions, enforcing holds, maintaining official records, processing required forms (i.e. candidacy forms, revisions to candidacy, etc.,) and authorizing transient status.  All advising and program issues should be handled by the Graduate Programs Office for the College of Business.

What is my degree classification?
Conditional - You have less than 2.5 cumulative UGPA or have less than 3.0 in your last 30 hours of undergraduate course work.  You are not eligible for financial aid.

Provisional - Your file is incomplete and we need proof that you have met the admissions requirements before you can be advised or register for classes.  You are not eligible for financial aid.

Fully-admitted -Your file is complete and you have been approved to take courses. This classification is required for international students and financial aid recipients.

When are courses offered?

  • One section of the background courses are typically offered in the fall and spring and a limited offering in the summer.
  • Two sections of the core courses are usually offered during the fall and spring. One section of each core course will be offered in the summer. 
  • Electives are based on a forecasted demand but the schedule is not guaranteed. Electives are typically offered once a year and scheduled in the same semester every year. 
  • For a list of offerings, click here.

When is priority advisement/registration?

  • Spring and summer registration is late October/early November.
  • Fall registration is late March/early April.
  • Advisement and registration information will be emailed to your UTC email account two to three weeks before priority advisement begins.

How can I drop a class?
Using your current advisement code and your MocsNet account, you can drop courses online.

What happens when a class is closed?
Courses are given capacity limits depending on their type and location. If a class is closed, an advisor will place you on an internal office waiting list. If a slot becomes available, an advisor will notify you. You will have a limited amount of time to notify your advisor that you want the slot.

What is a hold on your student account?
A hold can prevent you from being advised and/or registering for classes. The most common holds include lack of immunizations verification, accounts receivable balances, parking tickets, candidacy form holds, and library fines.
A student will not be allowed to register for or have a slot saved in any course until all holds have been cleared through the appropriate office.

How can I pay fees?
Once you are registered in the system, you can pay on-line, by phone with a credit card, or in person with a credit card, cash, check or other means. 
All fees and matters dealing with fees should be referred to the Bursar's Office in University Center 274.

What is the minimum GPA requirement while enrolled in the program?
Please reference The Graduate Catalog. You must maintain a 3.0 or "B" average in the program. If your GPA falls below 3.0, you will be placed on academic probation and have only two enrolled semesters to bring your GPA up to 3.0. You are also be expected to maintain a 3.0 GPA during your first probation semester to avoid be dismissed after the first semester.  If your GPA is not raised to 3.0 in two semesters, you will be academically dismissed from the program.

Who do I speak with about grievances and/or special circumstances?
Mike Owens, Assistant Dean, acts as a liaison between students, administration, and faculty. Input and feedback is very vital to continuous improvement of the program.

Is there a thesis or comprehensive exam?
No. There is no thesis or comprehensive examination required to complete the MBA or MAcc program.

What if I move or have a change in my personal information?
It is very important for us to have accurate records. Please complete the Information Update form and contact the College of Business Graduate Programs Office to make any changes such as address, phone number or last name (requires marriage or divorce decree).