CPSC 4600: Biometrics and Cryptography
This course covers the basic concepts of pattern recognition and biometrics, current major biometric technologies, and analyzes specific case studies from technical, privacy, and social impact viewpoints along with a critical study of the cryptographic protocols used in many security applications. Prerequisites: CPSC 1110, 3200, 3600 and Mathematics 3030 with grades of C or better.
TextbooksRequired: Cryptography and Network Security, Behrouz A. Forouzan, McGraw Hill, ISBN: 9-780073-327532.
- Biometrics for Network Security, Edition: 1, Paul Reid, Prentice Hall, ISBN: 0-13-101549. More on Chapters Information.
- Implementing Biometric Security, Edition: 1, John Chirillo and Scott Blaul, Wiley, ISBN: 0-7645-2502-6. More on Chapters Information.
- David Hook. Beginning Cryptography with Java, Wiley, 2005, ISBN: 0-7645-9633-0
- Bill Ball. Linux in 24 hours, Sams. Free version of this book is available online. http://www.linux-books.us/linux_general_0009.php
- Paul Reid. Biometrics for Network Security. Prentice Hall, 2004, ISBN: 0-13-101549-4
- John Chirillo, Scott Blaul. Implementing Biometric Security, Wiley, ISBN 0-7645-2502-6
- Bruce Schneier, Applied Cryptography, Wiley, second edition, ISBN: 0-471-11709-9
Lecture 1: Introduction to Biometrics;
Lecture 2. Fingerprint Biometrics; NBIS.ppt; Multi-layer Perceptron Network (MLP)
Lecture 3. Face Biometrics; Principal Component Analysis (PCA) and Linear Discriminant Analysis (LDA)
Lecture 4. Graphology; Guidelines to Handwriting Analysis; NIST-Form-based Handprint Recognition System;
Lecture 5. Voice; Voice Biometrics (paper)
Lecture 6. IRIS-Retina; Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA);
Lecture 7.The Future of Biometrics; Challenges; Evaluation
Lecture 8. Classical Cryptography
Lecture 9. Conventional Cryptography
Lecture 10. Key Distribution Center
Lecture 11. Public Key Cryptography and Identitiy-based Cryptography
Lecture 12. Public Key Management
Lecture 13. Authentication
Lecture 14. Hash
Lecture 15. Entity Authentication
Lecture 16. Quantum Cryptography
Evaluation of Presentation:
Hands-on Projects (Some labs were developed under sponsorship of NSF CCLI #0942581):
- Project on Fingerprint Biometrics
A. Install NIST Fingerprint Image Software 2.
B. Test and demo Command: PCASYS (PCASYSX), MINDTCT, NFIQ, and BOZORTH3.
C. The software is available in the CD distributed in the class. Write a report to document your efforts and observation including the following. You can feel free to add other comments to NBIS software.
1) Results and screenshots of NBIS software installation a) make config; b) make it; c) make install; d) make catalog
2) Explain purpose of PCASYS package, command you used, and screenshots of successful executionc. Explain purpose of MINDTCT package, command you used, and screenshots of successful executiond. Explain purpose of NFIQ package, command you used, and screenshots of successful executione. Explain purpose of BOZORTH3 package, command you used, and screenshots of successful execution
Optional Hands-on Projects
- Download and Install NFIS2 software, test and document command for fingerprint classification (PCASYSX), minutiae detection (MINDTCT), enrollment quality (NFIQ), and fingerprint matching (BOZORTH3).http://fingerprint.nist.gov/NFIS/
- Download and Install TrueFace software.
- Download and Install face biometric software fromColoradoStateUniversity. Test and document the face recognition based on PCA, LDA and Bayesian Networks.http://www.cs.colostate.edu/evalfacerec/algorithms5.html
- Download and Install NIST form-based handprint software. Test and document the process of handwriting recognition. http://www.itl.nist.gov/iaui/vip/databases/defs/nist_ocr.html
- Download and Install voice recognition software (SPHIX3 or SPHIX4) from Carnegie Mellon University (CMU). Test and document the process of voice recognition.http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/html/cmusphinx.php
- Follow tutorial from Sun to generate and Verify Signatures. More information please refer to:http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/security/apisign/index.html
- More Security information in Java is here:http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/security/index.html
More IA Study Materials
 Craig I. Watson, Michael D. Garris, Elham Tabassi, Charles L. Wilson, R. Michael McCabe, Stanley Janet and Kenneth Ko, User's Guide to NIST Biometric Image Software (NBIS), National Institute of Standards and Technology, 2006.http://fingerprint.nist.gov/NFIS/
 Craig I. Watson, Michael D. Garris, Elham Tabassi, Charles L. Wilson, R. Michael McCabe and Stanley Janet, User's Guide to NIST Fingerprint Image Software 2 (NFIS2), National Institute of Standards and Technology, 2006.http://www.itl.nist.gov/iad/894.03/nigos/NBIS/request_ecc_cd.html
 Ross Beveridge, David Bolme, Marcio Teixeira and Bruce Draper, The CSU Face Identification Evaluation System User's Guide: Version 5.0, Computer Science Department Colorado State University, 2003,http://www.cs.colostate.edu/evalfacerec/algorithms5.html
 The National Biometrics Challenge, National Science and Technology Council, Subcommittee on Biometrics, August 2006, http://www.biometrics.gov/NSTC/pubs/biochallengedoc.pdf
 Lodge Juliet, Trends in Biometrics, December 2006, http://www.libertysecurity.org/article1191.html
 P. Jonathon Phillips, Alvin Martin, C.l. Wilson, Mark Przybocki, "An Introduction to Evaluating Biometric Systems,"Computer, vol.33, no.2, pp. 56-63, February 2000.
 Michael D. Garris, James L. Blue, Gerald T. Candela, Patrick J. Grother, Stanley A. Janet and Charles L. Wilson, NIST Form-Based Handprint Recognition System (Release 2.0), NISTIR 5959, National Institute of Standards and Technology, April 2003.http://www.itl.nist.gov/iaui/vip/databases/defs/nist_ocr.html
 Markowitz, J. A. Voice biometrics. Commun. ACM 43, 9 (Sep. 2000), 66-73. DOI= http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/348941.348995
 Li Yang, Kathy Winters, Joseph M. Kizza, Biometrics Education with Hands-on Labs, Proceedings of the 46th annual southeast regional conference, ACM Digital Library, March, 2008.
IA Academic Links
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineering/Institution of Engineering and Technology
- ACM Homepage
- National Information Assurance Training and Education Consortium (NATEC): http://www.niatec.org/
- CiteSeer.IST: http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/
- National Vulnerability Database: http://nvd.nist.gov/
- The United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT): http://www.us-cert.gov/
- Computer Security Articles by Bruce Schneier: http://www.schneier.com/essays-comp.html
- National Institute of Standards and Technology: http://csrc.nist.gov/
- National Security Agency: http://www.nsa.gov/
- Department of Homeland Security: http://www.dhs.gov/index.shtm
- Protocols from The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)
- Database Privacy from Microsoft Research: http://research.microsoft.com/research/sv/DatabasePrivacy/
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC) library: http://www.lib.utc.edu/ Note many journals are available in UTC libraries, and some of them are accessible from any computers in UTC.
- ACM Transactions on Information and System Security (TISSEC): http://tissec.acm.org/ (On-line journal is accessible from any computer in UTC)
- IEEE security & privacy (available in UTC library): http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/RecentIssue.jsp?punumber=8013
- Network World (available in UTC library): http://lc2qj6lc5j.search.serialssolutions.com/?V=1.0&N=100&L=LC2QJ6LC5J&S=AC_T_B&C=NETWORK+world
- The Virus Bulletin: http://www.virusbtn.com/index
- IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (available in UTC library): http://lc2qj6lc5j.search.serialssolutions.com/?V=1.0&N=100&L=LC2QJ6LC5J&S=AC_T_B&C=dependable+and+secure+computing
- Information Systems Control (available in UTC library): http://lc2qj6lc5j.search.serialssolutions.com/?V=1.0&N=100&L=LC2QJ6LC5J&S=AC_T_B&C=information+systems+control andhttp://www.isaca.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Members_and_Leaders/Publications/Journal/Information_Systems_Control_Journal_Home.htm
- IEEE communications magazine (available in UTC library)
- IEEE distributed systems online (available in UTC library)
- IEEE eTransactions on network and service management (available in UTC library)
- IEEE internet computing (available in UTC library)
- IEEE network (0890-8044)(available in UTC library)
- IEEE parallel & distributed technology (available in UTC library)
- IEEE personal communications (available in UTC library)
- Access Control & Biometrics
- User's Guide to NIST Biometric Image Software (NBIS)
- A Bayesian Similarity Measure for Direct Image Matching (1996)
- Discriminant Analysis of Principle Components for Face Recognition (1998)
- Voice Biometrics (2000)
- New Pen Device for Biometrical 3D Pressure Analysis of Handwritten Characters, Words and Signatures (2003)
- Diffusion of Biometrics In Information Systems
- NIST Form-Based Handprint Recognition System
- FERET (Face Recognition Technology) Recognition Algorithm Development and Test Results